Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

57 chevy truck turbo ls1 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 57 chevy truck turbo ls1 build

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and I need some advice on a turbo setup. The motor is a 01 vette LS1. I'm using the C5 manifolds now. The turbo is an ebay gt45. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should try to fit the turbo under the hood up front or do something different and do a remote mount in the bed.

My issues with the under hood route is how tight the manifolds are to the A-arms and steering shaft. You can see in the pics I posted. I dont want to fab headers but I can fab the other hot parts and cold parts. If you have any ideas on how I could fit a truck manifold or flip the c5 manifolds with an alternator relocation setup I'd appreciate it.

tons of room everywhere but near the exhaust ports

driver side

pass side

turbo

possible home for the turbo
Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM
FormerVendor

LOVE this body style!!!! so much room under the hood, just not where you need it unfortunately. what front clip was used on the truck?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by RPM Graphics
LOVE this body style!!!! so much room under the hood, just not where you need it unfortunately. what front clip was used on the truck?
Thanks, good question... I bought "stole" the truck from an old guy who didnt have a clue what was in the truck. When we put the LS1 in we couldnt figure out what front clip it has. About 6 people couldnt figure it out. It looks like an 80's truck or van clip... HUGE A-arms and no room, I had to cut it up to fit the c5 manifolds because they go straight down.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

I've used 76-77 Monte Carlo clips
Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good to see more older turbo LS trucks popping up here. what color is that? I love it, I have been kicking around a similar scheme on my 68.

for turbo placement, I would probably re-route those heater lines, flip the passenger manifold, and cross the driver's side one under the back of the motor like they did stock. I have a similar setup, but had room to cross mine in front. use 2-1/4" pipe and heat wrap it for that crossover and you shouldn't have trouble spooling it. I'd love to see more of this one!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Truck Sponsor

No need to be in the bed. Bed is clean.
How much room do you have under the truck?
Do a mid mount or a rear mount.
If
You don't want to mess with those and an oil pump.

Mount the turbo up front where it fits.
Route the exhaust from under side to turbo. Leaving manifolds alone.

Will act similar to a rear. But no oil pump and let's you show it off.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by badhombre
good to see more older turbo LS trucks popping up here. what color is that? I love it, I have been kicking around a similar scheme on my 68.

for turbo placement, I would probably re-route those heater lines, flip the passenger manifold, and cross the driver's side one under the back of the motor like they did stock. I have a similar setup, but had room to cross mine in front. use 2-1/4" pipe and heat wrap it for that crossover and you shouldn't have trouble spooling it. I'd love to see more of this one!
Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
No need to be in the bed. Bed is clean.
How much room do you have under the truck?
Do a mid mount or a rear mount.
If
You don't want to mess with those and an oil pump.

Mount the turbo up front where it fits.
Route the exhaust from under side to turbo. Leaving manifolds alone.

Will act similar to a rear. But no oil pump and let's you show it off.
Great ideas! I do want to show the turbo off, thats why I was thinking of doing a bed mount. But then i'd have to deal with pumping the oil like you said... plus i'd have to build a cover while it sits in the rain... (unfortunately it stays outside)

Lots of room under the truck and tons of room in on the outside of the frame rails and also I can bring the hot pipes up through the back of the wheel wells.

Hombre your idea also sounds pretty good, i'll have to see where the crossover will go, I also need to leave the passenger wheel well open to route the down pipe. I'm going to do some measuring today
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here are some pics of how i did mine to give you some ideas on placement etc. I am also running a gt45

BTW what blue is that on yours? looks amazing

Quick Reply: 57 chevy truck turbo ls1 build