Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 S10 with Rear mount 76mm

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 5.3 S10 with Rear mount 76mm

Sup guys. Finished a 5.3 4l80e swap in my s10 earlier this month. As of right now I have a couple bolts ons like a 3200 circle D stall 228r cam, 1-5/8 shorties ect. I want to go with a rear mount for simplicity and I really want to keep the engine bay stock looking. My plans as of now is a Single On3 76mm turbo. Bed mounted with an external oil pump. Couple of questions though. Why do people opt for the LS6 cam with FI? Do I necessarily have to swap out my 228r? What size wastegate? What size blowoff valve? 60lb injectors. Excuse me if any of this sounds stupid but I want this to be enjoyable and im not looking to blow like 5k lol. I knew nothing about LS swaps last year never even pulled a motor. I managed to do my entire swap rework the harness and everything so it hoping to learn as I go with the turbo install aswell. Right now I have 2.5" true duals dumped with magnaflow bullets. So pretty much when im ready to start routing piping can I just cut the bullets off and weld on my magnaflow Dual 2.5 inlet to single 3" outlet Y pipe?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep hot side small, and wrap it. 3" after merge is way too big. Go single 2.5" into the turbo
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with 3pedals if you are dead set on a rear mount, wrap it with good wrap and keep the pipe size to a minimum you want to keep the exhaust gas velocity up and as hot as you can otherwise you will be fighting spooling issues like the rest of the rear mount guys complain about. I would also get with someone and have a cam specd for a rear mount application.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do I have to run an intercooler? I really want to start ordering parts this friday, so it would help also if you guys could recommend waste gate size and blow off valve. Also how much additional HP am I looking at with a rear mount? The motor isnt built at all. Keeping stock bottom end. Is there a safe boost range to run
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM
8 Second Club

I'm not overly knowledgable on rear mounts, but I recommend reading as much on here, and on TTF as you can, you'll get a feel for what you need.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I will post what I held out on my last post: I would avoid the rear mount at all cost its just not worth the trouble. Search through here and see how many rear mount guys ended up with a front mount after fighting the rear mount. Save yourself the headache and the money and go ahead and do a front mount from the get go. IMO it is much easier to fit the front mount than to deal with all the piping and oil issues to run the rear mount.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I planned on totally bypassing oil feed from the engine by using external oil pumps like below. Honestly the cold piping is the only one major routing id have to do because my exhaust is literally setup right where I want to mount the turbo. This truck will probably never see the track. Its a DD. Just want to throw some boost at it.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 AM
8 Second Club

Should be fun
Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thats my truck in the pic ^lol. Nothing wrong with rear mounts, most people that end up going front mount didnt know what they were doing with the rear mount. 3" pipe after the merge is fine, all the rear mount cars making 800+hp are using 3". 2.5" is fine for your purposes. The most critical thing is wrapping the exhaust and doing whatever you can to retain the heat, it makes a MASSIVE difference in spool. On my s10 it went from being unable to make boost unwrapped to hitting full boost by 3k rpm after wrapping it with 2 layers and 3" pipe, add a quick spool valve and a tight turbine a/r and all of a sudden the disadantages or rear mounts are gone,

What alot of people don't understand is how cramped the s10 engine bay is, front mount mount is really not an option. Not to mention you get to keep the extra weight of the front of an already nose heavy/ *** light truck. Look at black X's s10, 02 xtreme rear mount, runs consistent low 9's/ 8 sec 1/4 and still has ac.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM
8 Second Club

^you should try 2.5 hot merge with wrap. I bet you forget what a spool valve even is

Quick Reply: 5.3 S10 with Rear mount 76mm