Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Behind the wheel difference between superchargers and turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Behind the wheel difference between superchargers and turbos?

I know, i know this has been beaten to death but honestly, it's hard to find an answer that explains it from the driver's perspective. Like what are the difference between driving a turbocharged car vs a supercharged one?

I know how superchargers and turbochargers work. One works off exhaust gases while the other uses the crank via pulleys and belts. I am not interested in how they work but rather what is the difference between them when putting them to use?

For example: 2 identical cars...let's say 04' bone stock GTOs with 86k miles. Both of them finished EXACTLY at the same time in a 1/4-mile race. Now fit one with a turbocharger and the other with a similar size supercharger. Who would win?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Midrange power is better with the turbo because once it spools, it goes to full boost (well, whatever the wastegate is set at) near instantly, and you ride that full boost through the whole rpm range.

A blower builds boost with rpms... So obviously youre not going to likely have as much boost at 4k as you would with a properly sized turbo,

But there is about 1 million variables to all of this.

Two different weapons to get the job done.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 699 Likes on 440 Posts

Prob need to qualify centri blower vs turbo. Roots or screw supercharger is a whole different deal.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can wastegate supercharger
Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Freefallin
For example: 2 identical cars...let's say 04' bone stock GTOs with 86k miles. Both of them finished EXACTLY at the same time in a 1/4-mile race. Now fit one with a turbocharger and the other with a similar size supercharger. Who would win?
Wear earplugs or crank the radio up to max. You probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Coming here asking which is better is just going to start an arguement and you'll have 500 people from either side yelling about which is better.

Get on any generic website and look at pros/cons. Make your decision based on your preferences. THE END.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell you this......there is no waiting to get on the two step with a procharger.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Stick I'd say centi all the way. Turbo auto is a hard combo to beat.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blown06
I can tell you this......there is no waiting to get on the two step with a procharger.
Thats not the case with a turbo either, unless you're one of those guys that thinks he needs an 88mm for his 700 HP street car (which it seems about 25% of the people here are).
To be honest, though, unless you're racing in some sort of class with a pro tree, it doesn't matter.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having driven both, the centri car "feels" slower....just IMO..nothing like a good turbo combo.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

I have had both as well. As said a centrifugal build boost with Rpms. At 4000 you might be at 8psi, at 5000 12psi, etc. if turbo is sized correctly then it can build boost early and use the gate to control it as needed.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I myself have built both platforms in my own car. For me going from procharger to turbo was nite and day. Procharged, it felt Quick, Turbo, it felt scary fast. His is just my opinion! This being a street car with all the right parts to work together with both options.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HexenLord
Wear earplugs or crank the radio up to max. You probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Coming here asking which is better is just going to start an arguement and you'll have 500 people from either side yelling about which is better.

Get on any generic website and look at pros/cons. Make your decision based on your preferences. THE END.
Power delivery is so different between the two, If you cant feel the difference then Id have to say you've got bigger problems.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seeing as how I've had everything from roots to screws to centrifugals to turbo, the difference isn't always obvious. Not even close. If you can't think of setups or circumstances where delivery might be similar, its not me with the problem.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had them all. Nothing feels like a turbo car. The power delivery is alot different than a supercharged car. To me. I've own both and have friends with both. I'm actually working on a supercharged truck right now for a friend and there is no comparison to the way a turbo feels even he said why doesn't my truck feel as stout as your turbo stuff. Enough said.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I have had both as well. As said a centrifugal build boost with Rpms. At 4000 you might be at 8psi, at 5000 12psi, etc. if turbo is sized correctly then it can build boost early and use the gate to control it as needed.
Or you can be supercharged w a WG and do the same.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Launching!

i have had basically every power adder out there, i love centri blowers (f1's) but imo there is a night and day difference in feeling even between a big centri vs a big single turbo. I have a turbo car now and when it lights off it feels like im getting slammed in the *** by a tractor trailer, where i never really got that feeling with a blower car, the blower car was much smoother. Now with the technology now with waste gating blower setups you could probably make them feel very close to the same, but i have no experience with that.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been in both my turbo car is ******* nasty when it comes into boost
Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea of a wastegated centri has always intrigued me. Lets say you are after a specific power and or boost. 600whp as an example. If you were to suggest an F1A, you would think that is WAY too much blower for that power level. Now imagine you pulley it for max eff impeller speed at redline. This would net you way more than 600whp. Add a wastegate too bleed off boost to get your desired power. At 3000 RPM you are looking at easily an 150ftlb boost with a F1A pullied for max boost and air bled to target power
vs F1A pullied for a target boost.

In the end you also have the option of removing the wastegate and going to max boost if your projects starting goal is no longer enough. It's like the power of a turbo without the lag.

I've heard that folks at procharger do not suggest this route as it overworks the procharger. I don't really understand that statement. Why have a max impeller speed if you cannot use it. Granted your overall avg rpm seen in the blower will most certainly be higher.

The packaging for the procharger is just so much better for me as I want to keep A/C in my RX. In the end I still haven't decided if I am going procharger or turbo. I rarely go to a track of any sort. If any, I'll give the Ring a try. The power of a procharger would be less overwhelming on throttle in a turn though.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ The difficult part with a wastegate on a blower comes from efficiency ranges. The idea works for some setups but I would spend a ton of time studying compressor maps before spending money. The f1 is not going to be in its range turning half max speed at 3k rpms or one quarter of max impeller speed.

I do agree with the comment about the centrifugal being smooth. They have a very linear power curve. Turbo power curves can vary greatly depending on how they are sized. They can be anywhere between roots blower and supra power curves.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From my experience, with a supercharger, when you hit the pedal you know its there from the jump. Kind of like you going on nitrous right out of the gate with no delay. Up top it feels strong but in my opinion turbo cars feel stronger up top. Like a endless pull if that makes sense.
Keep in mind my 2 cents is from a real low level introduction stand point. I've never driven a high horse power FI car. But i know a ton of people who have.
lol
In a few months I should be able to give you my view from my own turbo car.

Quick Reply: Behind the wheel difference between superchargers and turbos?