Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Behind the wheel difference between superchargers and turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 114 Likes on 56 Posts

Well since no one has posted a turbo graph, i will post mine.

Both of the procharged cars have about 500tq at 3500rpm and mine does too. The difference in "feeling" is that i get close to my peak torque much sooner and carry it throughout my powerband. You can see the area in the graph where people say its like the car got kicked in the *** and its that region where the car hits full boost. I ran a 26" M/T's on a 16" rim all last year and had very minor traction issues. I mean seriously, how much time do you spend below 3500rpm if you are ripping on the car?

The two powerbands are very different but as you can see if you compare the two graphs, the turbo graph has a lot more power under the curve. The tune matters a lot more in a turbo car because you can get very close to no lag. Both cars will be fast but there is nothing like the wildness of a turbo car.

Last edited by Ryans99ls1; 01-22-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tirefire
I have 325/50/15, spin them all the time. AES 390 F1A....6 speed
I am not saying my car won't spin them, but it's a lot more manageable than the low pro street tires. From a dead stop if you 2 step it, build some boost and let her rip, yes, for sure. If you roll into it at 25-30 then it hooks and goes.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Bringing this back up because it's in line with my build goals.

I see a lot of responses from people using Pro-Chargers but what about a roots blower? I love the way roots blown vehicles drive. The throttle response and torque are so fun. I've never driven a modern turbo car besides a diesel. The car is purely a street car and my goals are modest power wise. I'm actually more interested in enjoying the drive and making the power where I want it. Because of my setup, which ever route I choose will require a lot of fabricating.

I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to build a turbo motor, single or twin, that drives like a roots blown car would. Is it possible? Lets say low boost, 6-8 psi, and a 2000-6000 rpm power band. I've got a lot of research to do and a lot to learn so should I even consider a turbo setup? I figure it will be easier to fabricate the piping and exhaust manifolds than to fabricate a intercooled intake manifold. Unless it's all for naught of course. In which case, I would rather focus my attention on adapting the roots blower.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Ive owned a pickup with a whipple, a 09 ctsv, a 9:1 head n cam d1sc 6spd ss, and have driven a 6spd 5.3 with a on3 and huron kit. The procharged car made 600 at wheels and ran 6.60 on 325/50/15 MTs at 16lbs and the on3 and 5.3 made 660 at 18lbs. The ctsv is very instant boost but the heat soak is terrible!! I personally wont have another one!! The turbo setup feels waay stronger bhind the wheel until you shift and the D1sc setup would just fly through the shift with little boost loss. I personally would rather have the turbo car in an automatic or the 6spd!! Remember Im talking about the D1SC as the new variable head unit may be a blast to own but Id rather have the turbo car!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I forgot to include that I have a T56.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my turbo graph

[/URL]
Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

With a 6 speed, I have heard more people say go Procharged since you don't have to respool after a shift. I'm sure you can minimize that with a proper turbo setup with all the different variables, but I love knowing that if I'm above 2500rpm, I'm going to have plenty of instant torque.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow Dog
Bringing this back up because it's in line with my build goals.

I see a lot of responses from people using Pro-Chargers but what about a roots blower? I love the way roots blown vehicles drive. The throttle response and torque are so fun. I've never driven a modern turbo car besides a diesel. The car is purely a street car and my goals are modest power wise. I'm actually more interested in enjoying the drive and making the power where I want it. Because of my setup, which ever route I choose will require a lot of fabricating.

I'm trying to decide if I should attempt to build a turbo motor, single or twin, that drives like a roots blown car would. Is it possible? Lets say low boost, 6-8 psi, and a 2000-6000 rpm power band. I've got a lot of research to do and a lot to learn so should I even consider a turbo setup? I figure it will be easier to fabricate the piping and exhaust manifolds than to fabricate a intercooled intake manifold. Unless it's all for naught of course. In which case, I would rather focus my attention on adapting the roots blower.

Thanks
If you really want something that drives like a rootes blower....then it probably makes the most sense to install a rootes blower.

However with modest goals, yes you probably could achieve it with a pair of small turbos. It wouldnt be exactly the same, but it'd be pretty damn close, and you'd have easy access to effective chargecooling, unlike with a valley mounted blower.

But with such modest goals....a 454 n/a probably wouldnt feel so bad either.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
With a 6 speed, I have heard more people say go Procharged since you don't have to respool after a shift. I'm sure you can minimize that with a proper turbo setup with all the different variables, but I love knowing that if I'm above 2500rpm, I'm going to have plenty of instant torque.
See, that's part of what I'm worried about since I will be on and off throttle a lot. My car will be set up to handle. If I ever take it to a road course or autox, fine. However, I'm going to be cruising in the mountains and just simply enjoying it on the street mainly. I want that smooth roll on coming out of corners that larger displacement engines or the roots blown engines can provide. Can't afford an aluminum BB so boosted small block is what I'm thinking. I just don't know enough about turbos to know if they could provide the power band and characteristics I'm after.

Thanks guys. I appreciate and welcome the feedback.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you really want something that drives like a rootes blower....then it probably makes the most sense to install a rootes blower.

However with modest goals, yes you probably could achieve it with a pair of small turbos. It wouldnt be exactly the same, but it'd be pretty damn close, and you'd have easy access to effective chargecooling, unlike with a valley mounted blower.

But with such modest goals....a 454 n/a probably wouldnt feel so bad either.
Thanks! I love BBs but they weight too much in iron form. I'd go stroker LSx but I already have the LT1 and would like to keep it just to be different. Decisions decisions, lol.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Never said BB, I meant a 454 LSX based motor, and you could achieve it in alloy.

Using a pair of small turbos, you'll be able to get a decent increase in power, with boost very early in the rpm range without any difficulty at all.

AGP offer these for their basic TT kit for the modern Camaro's http://www.agpturbo.com/borg-warner-...-turbocharger/

They're pretty tiny, not expensive and should spool very fast on most motors.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288657

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304406
Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

I see. My confusion. Thanks for the links. I'll look into them.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:55 PM
9 Second Club

I think some have even pushed into the 5xx range.

They wouldnt be cheap in alloy form, but they have been done.

http://www.erlperformance.com/erl-500-ci-turnkey

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...00-ci-lsx.html

Obviously you wouldnt even contemplate boost with any of those motors though
Old 06-22-2014, 01:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Boost can be manipulated so easy to do exactly what you want with a turbo. I don't see the centri having much of an advantage anywhere

If you want a centri type torque curve to keep tires on the street with a turbo it isn't that difficult

Heck I have been 60-130 in 4.7 on a 17" 255 mickey mouse Walmart hankook tire with a 420 treadware on a plain asphalt highway..... no fancy traction control or anything. Just a simple two stage time based boost control strategy
Old 06-22-2014, 02:57 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

OP, you want a procharged car. You want a fun, backroads, canyon carver, and nothing will perform better and make you happier than a procharger.

Sure, you can get a turbo setup to mimic it, but it's not going to be a simple, cheap setup. I have exactly what you want, and do with my car exactly what you're looking to do. Have a really fun car that drives awesome from 2500-5000rpm with plenty of usable power that doesn't shock the drivetrain or destroy tires.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I go forward.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
OP, you want a procharged car. You want a fun, backroads, canyon carver, and nothing will perform better and make you happier than a procharger.Sure, you can get a turbo setup to mimic it, but it's not going to be a simple, cheap setup. I have exactly what you want, and do with my car exactly what you're looking to do. Have a really fun car that drives awesome from 2500-5000rpm with plenty of usable power that doesn't shock the drivetrain or destroy tires.
Wow! I think this kind of biased advise coming from a moderator that openly admits that he personally haven't actually driven a properly set-up LS turbo car is kind'a misleading. I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'll give you props for giving a very informative stuff on other subjects in the past, but I don't know about this one, maybe it's just me.

Last edited by Boo"SS"t; 06-22-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
Wow! I think this kind of biased advise coming from a moderator that openly admits that he personally haven't actually driven a properly set-up LS turbo car is kind'a misleading. I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'll give you props for giving a very informative stuff on other subjects in the past, but I don't know about this one, maybe it's just me.
I don't think it's biased at all. Look at what he said. A canyon carving road car. I don't know about you but a turbo building boost mid turn sounds like a death sentence. Any FI that's provided by a belt will be much more predictable in a turn. At least on the street.

No one will argue the under the curve power compared to a centri but having driven turbo and centri v8's a straight line is where most turbo's shine. In a corner I'll take my belt driven boost.

Really good traction control changes things.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 AM
9 Second Club

Two things.

The thread was resurrected by Snow Dog, so the last few responses are directed towards him.

In that respect, his desire for some torque and power between 2-6k on an LT1...really, a centri has no place in that request.
Yes one will make power, yes it will feel superb in the mid-upper rpm's. But at 2k ? Probably not that exciting.

Will a Rootes style offer performance in that range ? Absolutely, assuming total goals arent overly high.

Can a turbo setup be built to perform in that range ? Absolutely.

As for comments about a turbo building boost mid-corner. If you put your foot down with a centri/rootes it can potentially build boost faster than a turbo setup mid corner. So are those concerns valid ?

Not really. If it was a high powered, high boost turbo setup, then perhaps yes there are concerns. Nothing that cant easily be dealt with though, with some sort of intelligent control over boost with a turbo setup.

But the same could apply to a high boost high powered centri setup.

There are many ways to achieve the goals, all have good points and not so good. But all can be configured to perform one way or another.

The harder part comes when low traction scenarios are involved, or when seeking lots of power. But for mild setups, almost any will be great.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Two things.

The thread was resurrected by Snow Dog, so the last few responses are directed towards him.

In that respect, his desire for some torque and power between 2-6k on an LT1...really, a centri has no place in that request.
Yes one will make power, yes it will feel superb in the mid-upper rpm's. But at 2k ? Probably not that exciting.

Will a Rootes style offer performance in that range ? Absolutely, assuming total goals arent overly high.

Can a turbo setup be built to perform in that range ? Absolutely.

As for comments about a turbo building boost mid-corner. If you put your foot down with a centri/rootes it can potentially build boost faster than a turbo setup mid corner. So are those concerns valid ?

Not really. If it was a high powered, high boost turbo setup, then perhaps yes there are concerns. Nothing that cant easily be dealt with though, with some sort of intelligent control over boost with a turbo setup.

But the same could apply to a high boost high powered centri setup.

There are many ways to achieve the goals, all have good points and not so good. But all can be configured to perform one way or another.

The harder part comes when low traction scenarios are involved, or when seeking lots of power. But for mild setups, almost any will be great.

All great points.

With the electronic boost controllers you can set up a turbo car to do exactly what you want it to. Boost by gear, boost by rpm, ramp rates etc there is just about nothing that you can't do with a turbo car.

Quick Reply: Behind the wheel difference between superchargers and turbos?