Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Deciding on a/which catch can(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Deciding on a/which catch can(s)

currently i am running N/A and after a few years i have noticed a TON of oil mist bellowing out of my valve cover breather. My tuner had deleted the pcv system in favor for a valve cover breather. at first i had no issues with it but as time goes by it seems to be smoking more and more. maybe something is wrong with my motor? bad rings? tons of blowby?? i dont know but after long rides on hot days my engine bay will be soaked in oil mist and buildup. I am going to be building a whole new motor and going turbo soon so would like to have this problem solved and useable on my current NA setup and reuse it on a FI set up.

im liking the MightyMouse set up but i need some explanation on how it works?? he has a breather on his so does it actually pull a vacuum or is it simply a vented air/oil separator?

i really want to pull a vacuum as i believe thats how these engines were intended to operate so im not a fan of just open air venting. i also want to avoid having to run an add on vacuum pump so how can this be done when going FI? can i route to the intake side of the turbo to pull a vacuum? will that be too much and risky of pulling oil in though the turbo?

dual or single catch cans? i definitely want something that will actually do its job that is built right with baffles and not mesh (which gets saturated) and will properly capture the oil mist and keep it from getting sucked back into the motor.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly sure if this answers your question, but the only time I ever had any blow by was when I hurt two pistons. Up until then and every since I fixed the pistons I've been good. If your oil is getting dirty real fast my guess is that something is hurt and the catch still wont solve your problem. Just my opinion though.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
Not exactly sure if this answers your question, but the only time I ever had any blow by was when I hurt two pistons. Up until then and every since I fixed the pistons I've been good. If your oil is getting dirty real fast my guess is that something is hurt and the catch still wont solve your problem. Just my opinion though.
to be honest im thinking something is hurt in there as many friends have noticed a decrease in how loud my car used to be and i have noticed it too.... maybe blow by and losing some compression...

as for the catch can im just wondering which one to get to hide the issue for the time being until i build up a new motor for boost.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Mightymouse has a nice one...
Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i have a revextreme dual valve one but if i did it again id go with the might mouse can
Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I run an ebay vented can. Just make sure its baffled. Some of them are not.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a dual catch can. One vented and one not. I have zero issues now with any blowby or venting since I went this way.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I run a dual catch can. One vented and one not. I have zero issues now with any blowby or venting since I went this way.
What kind/brand setup is it?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

my pcv and draft cans top breather is one gimongus one way check valve. pressurized fumes exit freely when they exist; seals for pcv or draft operation when they do not.

anyone that has come to me looking to fix a blow by problem i always reccommend making sure the engine is healthy first before spending money on a can when you need rings or pistons
Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
my pcv and draft cans top breather is one gimongus one way check valve. pressurized fumes exit freely when they exist; seals for pcv or draft operation when they do not.

anyone that has come to me looking to fix a blow by problem i always reccommend making sure the engine is healthy first before spending money on a can when you need rings or pistons
Draft can? Got pics? Can u recommend a setup

Quick Reply: Deciding on a/which catch can(s)