Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why not regap rings on 100k JY motors. Also ls2 style piston ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Why not regap rings on 100k JY motors. Also ls2 style piston ?'s

I've got this 05 lq4 with ls2 style rods/pistons with 120k miles that I'm going to throw some valve springs, studs, cam and a couple other odds and ends into but when it comes to the bottom end i'm not sure what to do with it. The truck I pulled it from ran fine so I'm pretty confident that the motor is in solid running order. I'll be using this motor as a backup motor or sticking it into a swap car but haven't decided. I hear guys say "don't touch ring gap if over 100k miles" often but I never hear why. So that is my first question. Y U no touch ring gaps on high mile motors?

My second question is that all the info about ringlands butting and gaps I see on here primarily resides around the older ls1 style rods and pistons but rarely do I see any data on the ls2 piston/rods specifically. I've seen the pics and I understand the differences in construction, but I guess what I'm asking is, are there differences in the ringlands and ring gaps between the older and newer pistons. Are the ls2 pistons just as susceptible to ringland failure as the ls1 pistons?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

Not that this will be a huge help, but I will share my experience anyway...

I had a GEN III LQ4 that had 103k miles on it when I got it from the yard. A buddy and I took it apart for piece of mind (wish I wouldn't have) and everything looked great. We did put new bearings in it but never touched the ring gap. I have no idea what it was even at. That motor has been in my car (now sold) for two years, 20-25 track passes, more highway rolls/street digs than I can count, on anywhere from 600-750 rwhp.

The only thing that concerned me with mine was the weaker rods and pistons. It always had a good tuneup in it though so I never really hesitated to beat on it.

Told ya this wouldn't help out much, ha. If it were me though, I would run that hoss as is.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of the 8sec stock bottom end cars have untouched rings, but are also running e85 or straight methanol. Seems like a lot of the ringlands bust on pump gas motors.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Untouched rings here on 5.3 looking to be at 700 rwhp with a 80mm turbo
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Launching!

120K miles worth of carbon buildup in the ring grooves would be the main reason to take it apart, just to clean it. If it's apart why wouldn't you check the ring gap?

Why wouldn't want to disassemble the engine,
#1 to know what you're investing money into,
#2 to make sure you have a solid bottom end to start with,
#3 To possible check any wear or damaged parts.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Ok so I guess I'll be the o lyrics person to answer a question....lol so the reason most people say don't touch them is because there is enough ware on them that they are now loose enough to take power adders and shouldn't butt up against itself and break ring lands. That being said...... since your there and going to have the heads off I would pull a couple pistons out and pull the rings off for ***** and giggles and put rings in the bores and check your ring end gap.

As far as your second question I have no data on the ls2 as I've never tore into one. But all the lsx stuff Ive done is iron block truck stuff that we've boosted.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Ok so I guess I'll be the o lyrics person to answer a question....lol so the reason most people say don't touch them is because there is enough ware on them that they are now loose enough to take power adders and shouldn't butt up against itself and break ring lands. That being said...... since your there and going to have the heads off I would pull a couple pistons out and pull the rings off for ***** and giggles and put rings in the bores and check your ring end gap.

As far as your second question I have no data on the ls2 as I've never tore into one. But all the lsx stuff Ive done is iron block truck stuff that we've boosted.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by toytech93
120K miles worth of carbon buildup in the ring grooves would be the main reason to take it apart, just to clean it. If it's apart why wouldn't you check the ring gap?

The question isn't about checking for damaged parts and ring gap. it's about whether it's worth while to change the gap or just leave it be. Seems like when people start messing with ring gaps that when ringlands become busted. Honestly it's a junkyard motor that i'm not sinking much money into and I'm not pushing over 700-800whp with it. tuning and fuel is probably key. I'll be running e85 thats for sure and trust my tuner. My forged ls1, yes we went top to bottom and changed alot of it. It also cost quite a bit of money in the process. It's lasted me well, but this time around I want to see how far I can go on a rather stock junkyard motor.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RatCityRex

I'll probably pop out #7 and #1 to see where they are at. If it's in the 20's i'll probably leave it be.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I think its more fuel based than anything. My ls1 has 50k miles on it and im well past what most consider safe for this motor. Its a pure highway car too, so it sees longgg pulls.

Ive never touched the ring gaps and I 100% believe the only reason its alive is because im on E85 and my tune is good. Its going to bend rods before it pops ringlands.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Launching!

If you want this motor to last, make sure you have the rings on the looser side of spec. I'm running my 2nd ring in the upper 30s, and my top ring in the upper 20s. Looser is better.... In this case. Better to be to loose then to tight. I shoot for a little over service limit when boosting.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a shortblock sitting here also contemplating checking the gaps. BUT - what's involved with taking the rod caps off and reinstalling - a torque angle meter? If it was just a matter of torquing I'd check the gaps.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Pretty easy. Use a normal wrench/ratchet to take apart, check gaps and then assemble. You tq to spec, slap on your tq angle meter on the end of your tq wrench (they are 6.99 on ebay) tq to your angle and call it a day.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Here is a good video by Denmah on checking ring gap.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
Pretty easy. Use a normal wrench/ratchet to take apart, check gaps and then assemble. You tq to spec, slap on your tq angle meter on the end of your tq wrench (they are 6.99 on ebay) tq to your angle and call it a day.
are the rod bolts reusable or TTY?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
are the rod bolts reusable or TTY?
Yes, re-useable. However they are a Torque to Angle bolt. Torque to "x" lbft, and then "y" degrees.

For the knowledge of the thread, I pulled my 05 5.3 apart and honed the bores with a ball hone, and gapped the top and second rings to .028". Top ring was TIGHT at about .016" on all cylinders. Definitely glad I took the time to do this, for piece of mind, and to clean all the crap out of the ring lands that had accumulated over its short 60K mile life.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by toytech93

I agree with this 100%. I've had 5 JY ls motors opened up now. All of them had an insane amount of carbon and crap build up on the ringlands. My least favorite part about building an JY LS is cleaning up the pistons well.

.006 X bore for top and .0065 for bottom has been the standard for years on "turbo stuff". Piston material and expansion rates come into play if your getting competitive. But generally this is an overly "safe" gap for most boost apps. I've heard big names say .020 is just fine on the small bore LS as well.

Using the formula above, 3.78 bore nets you .022 top and .024 bottom. Which just happens to be around the gap the 150+k mile motors tend to have. Always good the check them though. I've seen one or two random tight rings on the motors I've torn down, but most fall into the range above. Even on pump gas builds, I see no reason to run wider gaps than .022 .024.

I also read you should not gap the rings the same as it promotes ring flutter.

Wish I had a pic of the ringlands with the rings removed... But they had to have a good 5-8% of the total depth of the ringland filled with carbon.
Attached Thumbnails Why not regap rings on 100k JY motors.  Also ls2 style piston ?'s-dirty-pist-1.jpg   Why not regap rings on 100k JY motors.  Also ls2 style piston ?'s-clean-piston2.jpg   Why not regap rings on 100k JY motors.  Also ls2 style piston ?'s-clean-piston-3.jpg  

Last edited by Forcefed86; 08-13-2014 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (11-20-2021)
Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
I gapped the top and second rings to .028"

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I also read you should not gap the rings the same as it promotes ring flutter.

Correct. They shouldn't be the same. Ring flutter is very hard on pistons.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I agree with Forcefed86.
My L33 had 136k and was pretty brown inside.
The ring lands were really gunked up. The oil rings especially. It's very time consuming cleaning all this for sure.

Top rings were .019" in mine so I opened them up to .024"
Second rings were .028". I left them alone.
I just went over the bores by hand with 1200 grit wet dry.
I reused the bearings.

Put the same rings on the pistons they came from. And back in the same bore obviously. I also marked the oil ring rails as well as the top and second rings so they didn't go on upside down.

That said, I don't get a bit of blowby. Even during a drag strip pass.

I just wasn't willing to toss it in the car as is.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (11-20-2021)
Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I am buying or building a budget setup with a JY engine then it is going in the car as is that is the point of them.

Quick Reply: Why not regap rings on 100k JY motors. Also ls2 style piston ?'s