Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1988 rx7. Crt88. 347" LS, PG, 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1988 rx7. Crt88. 347" LS, PG, 8.8

well... I been bored lately, and honestly with everyone and there mother doing mustang builds, i went back to my THIRD RX7 build.

I've always had a soft place in my heart for a good looking FC and i've sworn to myself for a couple years, "if he ever sold that car, i'd figure out a way to buy it"

Well as fate would have it, about the same time he listed it for sale, a good friend with a SN95 (rounded 94-98 stang) mustang, forgot to latch his hood and destroyed his hood, windshield and roof... well he bought my New Edge and i bought this on Friday, its been exactly a week since its been in my garage and i didnt touch it until Monday and this is where I'm at.

ALMOST DONE! 2 weeks TOPS!

Basically the run is the same

347" LS, Aluminum junk
Diamond Pistons/Callies rods/GM Crank
Stock Heads with ARP Studs
DUAL PHUCKING FUEL!
MOSER Rear 8.8 3.08/1 Gears
TSI Built PowerGlide with Pro-Brake
Holley Dominator

I had the opportunity to get into the car i really wanted, I've said that before, but ***** it, 3000lbs with driver, 1000+HP and a built chassis, i could NOT RESIST! COUPLE PICS!

I been going all week and think it'll be road worthy in less then a week.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait so you sold the mustang? Didn't you just get it road worthy?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

I saw the thread title and your name and was like another rx7, how many is that now? Haha. Sounds and looks like youre moving along quick.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oscs
Wait so you sold the mustang? Didn't you just get it road worthy?
Yep. Good friend bought it from me. His was trashed after he forgot to latch his hood, and it was a gutted out tin can that he wastn happy with. Mine was a nice car, full interior, power windows etc. So he bought it and I drove a couple hours to pick this up.

It has a Moser built rear end in it already, i had a stock rear in other car, this has a 6point cage, better then nothing, the other car had nothing and i got it for what i sold my mustang for, so no skin off my back, it was already set up for an LS and PG.

Originally Posted by Verz
I saw the thread title and your name and was like another rx7, how many is that now? Haha. Sounds and looks like youre moving along quick.
Thanks, yes, im trying to be at the track before October and driving within two weeks, and honestly, if i had my Driveshaft cut to length, coolant hoses, throw some gas in the tank and go for a drive lol

Here is the orginal owners build thread from the conversion section

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...gle-turbo.html

Last edited by JAX04; 08-16-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Getting closer, finished the hotside today, notched the frame for the downpipe, i'll get a new radiator support made tomorrow that always ties the frame rails together, ran out of argon so had to resort to the Mig, which i hate, but i'll get it filled tomorrow and finsih the coldside up. as far as fab, just need to modify the trans crossmember and get the DS shortened, then i should be able to button it up.

I dont have a dremel, so i'll just trace the cut for the gates, drill a **** bunch of little holes all the way around it, use the cutoff wheel on the grinder and then finish it off with the flap wheel and a few metal files.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kyle, your welds look like the Taco Bell in my toilet... But it seems they hold good!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

lmao. That does NOT hurt haha. there are much worse out there. I wont even take pics of the aluminum lol. But here is a small update.

got started on the cold side tonight, i ******* suck at aluminum tig welding. ****! oh well.

I need to order a few 90s to finish it off but that will get taken care of this week sometime.

now onto some pics.

and the original hood is NOW FOR SALE!

Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because they aren't pretty doesn't mean ****!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome build. This thing is going to haul *** when your done.

BTW, who cares what the welds look like as long as they hold, that's what really matters.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DEFYANT
Just because they aren't pretty doesn't mean ****!
lol, i know. Hell most of these parts have been re-used from the other 5 builds that never got "finished" lol. I've re-used this t6 flange 4 times now i think? lol.

Originally Posted by TDagen
Awesome build. This thing is going to haul *** when your done.

BTW, who cares what the welds look like as long as they hold, that's what really matters.
Thanks man! Im trying like hell to be on the road next week so that im only down a few weeks.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

Man I wanted to buy one of those crt88 turbos and i didnt. Now im stuck with a impulse twin turbo setup that probably wont make anypower. Ill keep chekcing in, this thing should haul ***.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Bump.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Bump.
Bump? Whats that!

Thanks man. I took a few days off, Mainly all week lol. Wife started back to school this last week so three days are gone and its been stupid hot here...

But i did manage to get some stuff accomplished today before i leave for the Cincinnati Zoo tomorrow morning.

I swapped the Edelbrock for the LS2 intake, since my dual fuel wont be ready until spring, i decided to just do this so i could enjoy the hood and car before the snow falls...

Got my driveshaft shortened and added 1350 to the rear yolk side, i only had 1330s due to the 8.8 pinon flange, but since this has a REAL rear end, you know. Anyway, i had a vibration in the last car, and i THINK it was becuase i had to much stick out on the trans yolk, it was ALOT, this car, looks right about perfect, i measured right for once.

Started modifying the trans crossmember tonight so that should be done Sunday or Monday. I goofed and must have thrown away the other Orings i had for the injectors as the LS2 intake and the edlebrock require different orings on the injectors, that pretty much destroyed my hopes of firing it up Monday. Oh well.

Anyway, much different look with the LS2.

Turbo kit is off so i can coat the pipes, wrap them and retorque the heads and build a brace to support this 50lb turbo, somehow... Not real sure how on that. Engine and trans are NOT solid mounts....

Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

great build man, looks like a great project. Did i miss it what motor mounts did you end up using if you dont mind me asking
Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks man!

im using some itteration of the "PEZ" mounts. A former sponsor the NoRotors forum. The consist of a C5 corvette brackets and a pedastal mount that bolts to the factory Kmember with a rubber pancake style deal between them.

Nothing real special. I Intend to do a front and Mid plate before to long but want to get it to the track before the snow falls.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Cool project.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Wolf.

Well yet again, i reverted back to the original plan. I've now got all the turbo kit done, need to add one piece to the downpipe to get it out the fender, and now add a bend before the throttle body since its higher now, but we are in button up mode now!

I put the old intake back on and cut the hood to fit. Here is how it looks currently, dont mind the dust lol

Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size is the charge pipe? Looks kinda small
Old 09-06-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Good old 3". I had about 10' of straight on hand and a 4x3 coupler so just went with it.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I see you have a dominator are you going to run two sets of injectors to do the dual fuel

very interested!!

Quick Reply: 1988 rx7. Crt88. 347" LS, PG, 8.8