Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

C10 swap, trouble building boost.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C10 swap, trouble building boost.

I recently got my 71 c10 swap up moving. I was originally building the setup for my '89 foxbody but wasn't happy with the car and it ended up being something I didn't want. So I swapped it all into my c10. Specs are the following:
9.5:1 347 ls
317 heads untouched
232/240 .595/.608 115lsa
Deka 80lb injectors
Pro flo xt
Ebay FMIC
PT88
Jakes performance th400 with a Hughes 4000 stall
3:08 rear gears

I'm currently using one of denmahs base tunes (fire turd), which I know isn't perfect for my setup but my issue is that the truck pushes virtually no boost while foot braking or brake boosting. If I brake boost it for awhile in 2nd I can push about 5lbs but it takes a good couple mins. Shouldn't I be able to push more even if the tune isn't 100% spot on for my application? Should I consider a cam or converter swap? I just don't wanna run into the same issue while tuning and have to correct the issue at the point rather then fixing it now.
I'm new to FI so I'm not sure where to start. I can see the tune affecting it some but not this much?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 01 GMC with 5.3/pt88 combo on stock 706 heads is kinda the same way, if I cant spray a 35-50hp dry shot it takes forever to spool footbraking. On the tbrake it is fairly quick though.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

What wastegate? What spring? How high can you rev it on the footbrake before it pushes through?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Don't go messing with the cam yet. Although it's biggish for the combo IMO. Specially assuming it's primarily a street car.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LosLS2
What wastegate? What spring? How high can you rev it on the footbrake before it pushes through?
38mm emusa, both springs are in it which from what I've found most have had success holding 17-18psi. I can footbrake it to about 3200rpms before pushing through.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LosLS2
Don't go messing with the cam yet. Although it's biggish for the combo IMO. Specially assuming it's primarily a street car.
Yes primarily a street setup, originally the foxbody I built the setup for was going to be a street/strip car so that's why I went with said cam and I was going to put a mp112 on it. But I decided I didn't want a drag car and wanted a cool street cruiser no one else had
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have some input? Think the converter could be the issue?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

you don't need a looser convertor if you do when you get it driving and making good power you will be slipping thru the convertor. that truck is heavyier than a fox mustang and you will need a faster spooling torque setup .

the cam is part of the issue. something in the 212 or 218 @.050 will help spool.

I don't know your hot side size but a 2.25 pipe setup whould help keep velocity up and spool faster.

check the hot side for leaks you will be surprised at how a little leak will hurt spool.

do you have a 2 step or launch control? that will get it spooling. good luck.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by yenkomike
you don't need a looser convertor if you do when you get it driving and making good power you will be slipping thru the convertor. that truck is heavyier than a fox mustang and you will need a faster spooling torque setup .

the cam is part of the issue. something in the 212 or 218 @.050 will help spool.

I don't know your hot side size but a 2.25 pipe setup whould help keep velocity up and spool faster.

check the hot side for leaks you will be surprised at how a little leak will hurt spool.

do you have a 2 step or launch control? that will get it spooling. good luck.
Hot side is 2.5", no leaks that I've found. It's all wrapped in attempt to keep more heat in. I do have a 2 step, haven't been able to install it yet.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a pretty big turbo for it to be real snappy and the cam is not helping with the short runner intake. Spending the money on a real good converter will go a long ways in that setup.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hellbents10
You have a pretty big turbo for it to be real snappy and the cam is not helping with the short runner intake. Spending the money on a real good converter will go a long ways in that setup.
Short? I'm running a pro flo xt. I'm not really looking for snappy I just want it to perform it's best. I'm not happy with the hotside at the time, was considering building a new one, 2.25" would give me a little more room around my intake and keep it from increasing my IATs (really tight fit between hotside, radiator, and charge tube and it has been causing some heat soak before the IAT sensor) so I have no issues with that. I guess at this point it's just a final decision which will be more effective a cam change or converter. I have no issues doing either but can't fork out the cash for both currently.

Quick Reply: C10 swap, trouble building boost.