Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

another turbo 5.3 build...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another turbo 5.3 build...

okay so i know these 5.3 builds are getting old but it seems the best route for me. for now this is going to be a build/suggestion list for the next couple of weeks when i start ordering the parts. im not set on most of the things that i will be listing and im open to any suggestions. the motor is going to be put in a 03-06 cat eye silverado 1500 4x4. im looking for about 700 rwhp on a single turbo and no spray. heres the list for now, if anyone has any suggestions please chime in.

-trans- 4l80e from jakes performance. stage 4 with all the goodies http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E.html (im pretty much set on this trans, i want the full manual vb and ive always been one to over build my trans for the application. id rather be safe and know i can hold the power
-oil pump- texas speed ported ls6 oil pump https://www.texas-speed.com/p-107-te...-w-o-ring.aspx
-arp head studs
the rest of the list i am going to need help with choosing what i need so suggestions please
-cam
-dual in tank pumps
-valvetrain
-timing chain
-rods
-pistons
- i want turbo headers but i need to find someone to fab up my hot side and downpipe, may go with the huron speed kit
-injectors
- turbo-intercooler
-wastegate
thanks for all the help in advance.
Shayne
Old 10-30-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sguiffre13
okay so i know these 5.3 builds are getting old but it seems the best route for me. for now this is going to be a build/suggestion list for the next couple of weeks when i start ordering the parts. im not set on most of the things that i will be listing and im open to any suggestions. the motor is going to be put in a 03-06 cat eye silverado 1500 4x4. im looking for about 700 rwhp on a single turbo and no spray. heres the list for now, if anyone has any suggestions please chime in.

-trans- 4l80e from jakes performance. stage 4 with all the goodies http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L80E.html (im pretty much set on this trans, i want the full manual vb and ive always been one to over build my trans for the application. id rather be safe and know i can hold the power
-oil pump- texas speed ported ls6 oil pump https://www.texas-speed.com/p-107-te...-w-o-ring.aspx
-arp head studs
the rest of the list i am going to need help with choosing what i need so suggestions please
-cam
-dual in tank pumps
-valvetrain
-timing chain
-rods
-pistons
- i want turbo headers but i need to find someone to fab up my hot side and downpipe, may go with the huron speed kit
-injectors
- turbo-intercooler
-wastegate
thanks for all the help in advance.
Shayne
stock oil pump is fine, if you have a 04+ truck it most likely has the ls2 rotating assembly in it so pistons and rods are not needed. get a Trick or KB racing manifold, bolt on a china 80 or borg warner s475-80 and it will make 700hp to the tire

pac1218 springs, stock heads, single walbro 400 in tank pump (130 shipped with install kit)
small cam from isky, trickflow, LJMS will work fine

sub 200 dollar intercooler kit with 3 inch piping will work

stock timing chain etc.

full manual valvebody isnt needed, the stock computer can shift the trans very very well. plus you would need to install a gated shifter to get the best out of a manual valve body imo.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

X2 on what Denmah said. I would also add LS9 headgaskets and Ebay headstuds just for reassurance. On my setup I went overkill and bought BTR dual spring kit but thats cause their products are bad *** for the price. I also bought the Trunion Upgrade just for added safety but some have done very well without it.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM

stock 5.3 head gaskets even paper ones work fine, also stock head bolts work fine, dont even take the motor apart, just a mild cam and springs is all you would need for 700
Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by denmah
stock 5.3 head gaskets even paper ones work fine, also stock head bolts work fine, dont even take the motor apart, just a mild cam and springs is all you would need for 700
This. Bolt on a 475 and be done. 700hp is not much.

Jack
Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

I would listen to Denmah he has more real world experience.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

id be happy to help you out with the turbo, and kit to go along with!

-Casey

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 10-30-2014, 01:41 PM

^ i tuned a car with a Huron speed kit in a Fbody and it was top notch stuff!
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks Matt! I appreciate the kind words.

let us know if you ever need anything else buddy, i'll take care of you

-Casey

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 10-31-2014, 01:05 AM
Teching In

really? so thats not bad at all then. everything ive researched pointed me towards big money for this project. i know it wont be cheap but i figured itd be more than its sounding. but thanks for the help everyone. ill get a new build list together tonight/tomorrow and see what you all think
Old 10-31-2014, 11:35 AM
Teching In

okay guys the motor im getting is going to be a pre 04 so that means rods and pistons im assuming? i almost want to do them anyways just for the extra piece of mind. but who should i get injectors from? and how many lbs/hr? im going to pick the motor up this weekend and planning on gathering parts and building the motor then buying the truck and swapping it in and then using the motor out of the truck to build for something else.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Personally I wouldn't invest the money. Throw the motor you have now in stock. Get everything made and mocked up. Then run it around 600hp until you find another gen4 (2005+) motor.

You'll have more fun, less down time, and less invested total.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Personally I wouldn't invest the money. Throw the motor you have now in stock. Get everything made and mocked up. Then run it around 600hp until you find another gen4 (2005+) motor.

You'll have more fun, less down time, and less invested total.
why do you say this? whats so bad about the gen3? im kinda new to the ls world lol
Old 10-31-2014, 02:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by sguiffre13
why do you say this? whats so bad about the gen3? im kinda new to the ls world lol
Gen3 piston and rod on right... Gen4 on left...

Many have issues with the gen3 rods around 600ish hp. Chassis weight has alot to do with it as well.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Launching!

For only 700hp I would throw any stock LS/LQ in it untouched.

Jack
Old 10-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I would honestly use what you have now, get it running and tuned and enjoy it. If it blows, get a gen 4 or even just buy gen 4 rods/pistons (if your block isn't trashed) and swap it.

Chances are, you'll get plenty of quality time with a smile on your face when your gen 3 as long as your tune is good and you can manage the torque properly.

Quick Reply: another turbo 5.3 build...