Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil return lines for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil return lines for turbo?

I am new to the turbo game. I am getting parts picked out and things in order for my winter build. One thing that many don't speak on much (that I have researched) is the oil for the turbo.

Do all turbo setups need a scavenge pump for the return? If so why? If not why? Trying to pick out what I need for the setup.

Engine is an LT1
Turbo will likely be a S400 running upwards of 24#'s of boost. I have a 6 qt canton oil pan currently.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on your Turbo location..
If the Turbo is high, it can gravity feed to the pan as long as the lines only flow downhill..

If they are mounted low...or the lines have to go upwards at any point... then you need a scavenge pump.

The lines that go to the scavenge pump need to be equal length if you only use one pump and a T or a Y
Or one will pull more than the other
(We fix a lot of cars with this issue)

Otherwise...use 1 pump per Turbo.

Also, always use the biggest drain line that you can...
If the drain is a 1/2 npt fitting, use a 1/2" or 5/8" line, or use a 10an or an 8an hose for it.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I see. Thanks for the info.

The plan is to mount the single turbo in from of the motor 2/3rds of the way up, so it should be a solid 12-18" above the oil pan. So, for this I would not need the scavenge pump?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
I see. Thanks for the info.

The plan is to mount the single turbo in from of the motor 2/3rds of the way up, so it should be a solid 12-18" above the oil pan. So, for this I would not need the scavenge pump?
you should be fine like that....
and ....if you see a bunch of oil coming out of the exhaust...you can always add the scavenge pump later, or in some cases its an issue of needing less oil going into the turbo(especially with ball bearing turbos, they need a restrictor, and sometimes need a smaller restrictor than they come with)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by soundengineer
you should be fine like that....
and ....if you see a bunch of oil coming out of the exhaust...you can always add the scavenge pump later, or in some cases its an issue of needing less oil going into the turbo(especially with ball bearing turbos, they need a restrictor, and sometimes need a smaller restrictor than they come with)
The S400 I plan on running I believe is a journal bearing turbo, so perhaps this would be better.

So, you are saying I should be fine with the oil line from the turbo, tapped in the oil pan with no pump?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:55 PM
8 Second Club

yes... you should be fine...
oil line from turbo straight to the pan should not be an issue
Old 11-04-2014, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your Turbo location..
The lines that go to the scavenge pump need to be equal length if you only use one pump and a T or a Y
Or one will pull more than the other
(We fix a lot of cars with this issue)
Otherwise...use 1 pump per Turbo.
Interesting, what problem did it cause? We have never had this issue with line length and 1 pump will easily handle 2 turbos if needed when using turbowerx pumps.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:26 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirebirdSS
Interesting, what problem did it cause? We have never had this issue with line length and 1 pump will easily handle 2 turbos if needed when using turbowerx pumps.

the uneven length lines will cause one side to have better suction.........
not always an issue...
but we see cars all the time with one turbo spewing oil and the issue stems from 2 lines that are not equal length.
the longer line will see less suction...

and I'm not saying they have to be exact...but they certainly need to be within a few inches of each other in total length if possible
Old 11-04-2014, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the uneven length lines will cause one side to have better suction.........
not always an issue...
but we see cars all the time with one turbo spewing oil and the issue stems from 2 lines that are not equal length.
the longer line will see less suction...

and I'm not saying they have to be exact...but they certainly need to be within a few inches of each other in total length if possible
Yeah, it took a bit to figure out how to low mount ptes and not have a single oil issue. But i have it nailed down now, line length didn't matter that i have noticed.

Quick Reply: Oil return lines for turbo?