Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another: FI vs NA thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another: FI vs NA thread...

Sorry fellas... Did some searching and reading through threads, but I still feel the need to pick some brains...

My 2001 SS currently has headers, CAI, ORY and Corsa muffler. After headers, I lost some of that throttle punch, which I'm looking to get back.

I was dead set on replacing the heads and cam, to get that power back. I'm not hunting a number per-se....just looking to have some "throw your passenger back into their seat" fun.

The car is a weekend cruiser... Taking it down to the seaside for some cruises. It hasn't seen track time, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I like the idea of a simple engine bay. I also like the idea of an engine that does its work without help.

However, with these hellcats, ZL1s, etc rolling out, it's hard to ignore the gains a supercharger brings. I know upfront cost would be higher, but so are potentials for more gains.

I'm curious though: what Are the true pros/cons of each? Can you simply bolt on a supercharger, or would you still need heads? What is safer for the motor (assuming I'd be upping compression if only going heads/cam)? Do super chargers have limitations at all (it seems air intakes sit lower...which worries me for poor weather driving)?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Sorry fellas... Did some searching and reading through threads, but I still feel the need to pick some brains...

My 2001 SS currently has headers, CAI, ORY and Corsa muffler. After headers, I lost some of that throttle punch, which I'm looking to get back.

I was dead set on replacing the heads and cam, to get that power back. I'm not hunting a number per-se....just looking to have some "throw your passenger back into their seat" fun.

The car is a weekend cruiser... Taking it down to the seaside for some cruises. It hasn't seen track time, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I like the idea of a simple engine bay. I also like the idea of an engine that does its work without help.

However, with these hellcats, ZL1s, etc rolling out, it's hard to ignore the gains a supercharger brings. I know upfront cost would be higher, but so are potentials for more gains.

I'm curious though: what Are the true pros/cons of each? Can you simply bolt on a supercharger, or would you still need heads? What is safer for the motor (assuming I'd be upping compression if only going heads/cam)? Do super chargers have limitations at all (it seems air intakes sit lower...which worries me for poor weather driving)?
That right there you should rule out FI. Lol. Don't get me wrong my turbo car is a blast and it's only on 5psi but putting it all together was kind of a pain. For a "fun" car that you don't have a set goal just sick with heads/cam/intake and enjoy driving it.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kylemm1002
That right there you should rule out FI. Lol. Don't get me wrong my turbo car is a blast and it's only on 5psi but putting it all together was kind of a pain. For a "fun" car that you don't have a set goal just sick with heads/cam/intake and enjoy driving it.
I appreciate that! I figured in this forum, I'd be pushed towards FI.

I'm curious to see what others say.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Agreed. A clean simple engine bay is something you won't have with forced induction. Maybe a little cleaner with a blower setup than a turbo setup, but you're still cramming more in the engine bay than normal.

You would not need to change heads or cam with forced induction. You can easily make a couple hundred more HP without needing to tear back into the engine at all.

Before people can really answer any more questions, you might want to lay out a few expectations.

Power goals, noise level, throttle response... etc.

A roots or screw blower is typically going to whine a little. A centri blower will sound like a jet engine, and a turbo is the quietest of the 3. Superchargers with open headers are insanely loud so keep that in mind. You'd need a full exhaust with mufflers to keep the noise level down from a supercharger.

Turbo will usually have the worst throttle response but make the most low-mid range torque if sized properly. Roots or Screw blowers will have the best throttle response and produce the best off-idle torque.

I could go on for days. All of this stuff has been posted here hundreds of times.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985

First off I don't believe you lost any "throttle punch" by installing LT's.. And this could have a million different answers. If you want to beat Hellcats and ZL1's you will likely need a turbo/blower or more cubes.... You could argue each could be safer depending on what cam or how much boost you run with your turbo/blower. A big *** ms4 cam is going to be very hard on springs. If you run a blower/turbo only at 6psi with a GOOD TUNE the motor will likely live a very long time. 10lbs or more with a good tune you could still make it last, but there is always that chance it could blow..
To me it sounds like your itching for more power and after you get H/C you're probably going to be happy for about a month and than that itch is going to come back. This is why I would say go turbo..
Also it can be a never ending battle. Once you go boost you want more and more and before you know it you have a built trans, rear and motor and you sold your house and live in your car...
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Once you go boost you want more and more and before you know it you have a built trans, rear and motor and you sold your house and live in your car...
Truth!

Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not looking to beat a hellcat or zl1. Honestly, I think having that kind of goal in our cars would result in wayyyyy more headaches than I'm looking for (driveline upgrades, durability issues, etc). I'm merely saying I always appreciated a naturally aspirated engine that puts out more power.... But seeing these new generations of cars moving towards FI has given me reason to look into it more.

One thing I'm trying to do, for whatever reason, is build a car that can easily be reverted back to bone stock. (I doubt a 2001 camaro will fetch any interest at a Barrett Jackson sale 20 years from now, but who knows). After reading the procharger install manual, it seems there's a handful of modifying required that doesn't appeal to me. It also seems all the pipe work with a supercharger setup would make prodding around the engine a larger chore.

On the other hand. I do appreciate a nice supercharger whine. And having power throughout the rev range is nice too.

And like I said, I'm not chasing any real number.... I just want a well rounded car I can enjoy, for a cruise with the wife.... And occasionally embarrass those who like to already taunt me on the highway. (It seems everybody likes to get up alongside you in these cars for a little joust)

Lots to consider here it seems.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

A roots type blower setup can be really clean.
And aren't there some pretty nice clean turbo setups for the Camaro?

Sad fact is, you will never hang with the new hotrods NA unless you swap in a big CID rat motor. And then it wouldn't be a driver anymore.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go turbo and dont look back.. check out huron speeds bolt on turbo kits, you can do a t4 a/c kit and bolt it on yourself.. your always a turbo swap away from more power, so if you want a quick spool and not going for a high # you can run a smaller turbo. only thing is even n/a, you may blow your tranny, basically meaning it probly needs to be upgraded especially if your auto and goin for anything over 450 wheel. turbo cars are just fun and feel faster, and have the best sound ever, turbo spool makes them women drool.
I have a million reasons why you should go turbo, and with hurons bolt on kits and group purchase ending soon, you cant go wrong.. beef up your tranny and do valve springs and youll be good enough for a while with the power youll make
Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
First off I don't believe you lost any "throttle punch" by installing LT's.. And this could have a million different answers. If you want to beat Hellcats and ZL1's you will likely need a turbo/blower or more cubes.... You could argue each could be safer depending on what cam or how much boost you run with your turbo/blower. A big *** ms4 cam is going to be very hard on springs. If you run a blower/turbo only at 6psi with a GOOD TUNE the motor will likely live a very long time. 10lbs or more with a good tune you could still make it last, but there is always that chance it could blow..
To me it sounds like your itching for more power and after you get H/C you're probably going to be happy for about a month and than that itch is going to come back. This is why I would say go turbo..
Also it can be a never ending battle. Once you go boost you want more and more and before you know it you have a built trans, rear and motor and you sold your house and live in your car...
I agree with this, if you said cam too would believe it. Probably the easiest and most cost effective would be centri, or my vote turbo. Tc76/78

Quick Reply: Another: FI vs NA thread...