Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

current pic of malibu wagon with tubo'd l33

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default current pic of malibu wagon with tubo'd l33

recap: 1983 wagon my parents bought new and my son chose to build as his first car. L33 with about 100,000 . 76mm GT45 . 80 lb injectors , (2) 450 lph fuel pumps . E-85 . Microsquirt EFI . Turbo 350 with a 3200 ish converter . I am only using one fuel pump right now as the car is on about 8-9 psi while my kid learns how to handle the power. the car runs real good and has a couple of hundred miles on it now making enough power to probably run some high 11's. can't wait for the track to open up.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome. I built a Malibu wagon back in the late 80's/early 90's. They're light and hook pretty well. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-27-2015, 07:18 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I like it. Cool old school GTA wheels too. DId you tune it or have it tuned?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Cool build!

I've got a 5.3 currently N/A, but have a 78/75 vsracing turbo about to go on. I have 80lb injectors and want to run E85 too. I currently have a walbro 255 intake fuel pump, but I was going to switch it with the new walbro 430lph pump.

What base fuel pressure are you running? Do you have a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator? What is your injector duty cycle at 8-9 psi with the single walbro 430lph?

Thank you!
John
Old 01-28-2015, 04:30 AM
Staging Lane

thanxs guys

the wheels are off of my '92 formula firebird i have had forever. unfortunately they rub the tie rod ends lightly even with a big spacer on the front and almost rub the frame rail on the back so they will go back on my car or my neighbors '83 T/A i did the twin turbos for.

the car has a microsquirt PNP system on it and i tuned it myself. I had to solve a few issues i needed help with but the drive ability now is good. I still have a crank sync issue that causes longer starting times and an occasional backfire at high rpm.

i have a mallory fuel pressure regulator that is boost referenced . base fuel pressure is 50 psi. at 159 KPA ( 8.5 psi boost ) i am seeing 70.2% duty cycle resulting in a AFR of 11.2 on the gasoline scale. with this base pressure i see about 4% duty cycle at idle.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replay as it will help me decide what I should do for my fuel system to attain my goals.

I forgot to ask what size supply and return lines your running?

Also, if you turn the boost up to 12lbs or so i'd be grateful if you could send me a p.m. with the duty cycle of the injectors with the single Walbro 450. I'm curious if at 12lbs the duty cycle will be below 85%. Thank you!

John
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

whats happening with your crank sync to cause the longer start up?

The reason I ask is Im having a tough time with cold start up also on e85 also. But Im not having any crank sync loss problems. I had mine tuned pretty well on summer blend but still had a longer than normal start up but not real bad. My trans took a dump and took me a couple months to get it back in, now the car wont cold start up at all unless I spray starter fluid in it the first time. The rest of the day is fine but that first start is a bitch....

I have messed with the tune to but nothing seems to help.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 AM
Staging Lane

tony paul:
on this car it is not seeing the crank input so no spark or fuel . if you watch the input rpm during cranking it will display 0 rpm and then 165 rpm and then back to 0 rpm and so on taking about 5-10 seconds sometimes to start. most times it starts in about 2-3 seconds, longer than it should be but it has never failed to start. it has also lost sync at high rpm .i played with the filter setting and made it better but there is still a minor problem to solve.

johnminer:
i have 1/2" feed and 3/8" return . i don't have any logs at higher boost . i only made short blasts at higher boost until i got the wastegate spring to where i want, i saw about 14 psi a couple of times no data though. this engine is is unopened , the valve covers have never been off. just changed oil and spark plugs and start boosting.

Quick Reply: current pic of malibu wagon with tubo'd l33