Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil pan return drain fitting help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil pan return drain fitting help!!!

Hi,assembling my 6.0 LQ4 for install and I need to find the right fitting to install for turbo oil return in pan. My stock pan has an oil level sensor,I was hoping to use that existing hole for fitting and I know I saw an exact fitting one somewhere but can't find again for ****. Please help!!!! Have adapter plate for supply next to where oil filter goes already to feed twins. Also I've been seeing "restricters" here and there. Will I need to put one on return side to slow down oil for lube and cooling purposes?? Thanks
Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT RESTRICT DRAIN. If you use a restrictor (which some turbos dont need, talk to the guy your buying it from) they go on the feed side. You want the drain to be a big line with a straight shot
Old 05-06-2015, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwrench61
Hi,assembling my 6.0 LQ4 for install and I need to find the right fitting to install for turbo oil return in pan. My stock pan has an oil level sensor,I was hoping to use that existing hole for fitting and I know I saw an exact fitting one somewhere but can't find again for ****. Please help!!!! Have adapter plate for supply next to where oil filter goes already to feed twins. Also I've been seeing "restricters" here and there. Will I need to put one on return side to slow down oil for lube and cooling purposes?? Thanks

From the reading i've done you can't install a return where the stock oil level sensor is because you need the return line to be above the oil level or it will back up into the turbo. You want to drain as much HOT oil out of the turbo as possible to allow the fresh oil from the feed to lube it. You need to weld a bung or tap a hole above the oil level.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnminer
From the reading i've done you can't install a return where the stock oil level sensor is because you need the return line to be above the oil level or it will back up into the turbo. You want to drain as much HOT oil out of the turbo as possible to allow the fresh oil from the feed to lube it. You need to weld a bung or tap a hole above the oil level.
This, wherever you place your return, it must be higher than your oil level, or else it will back up with oil. Last one I did was drilled and tapped a hole in a truck pan just below the crank pulley.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Here is were my -10 bung is welded on my F-Body pan
Old 05-06-2015, 11:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got two -12 drains just below the crank pulley in the front of the pan
Pretty easy to get them threaded in and everything clean with the timing cover off
Old 05-07-2015, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I was able to put a drain in right below the balancer-tight fit but does clear
Old 05-07-2015, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. The return above oil level mades good sense,I'll just leave sensor in and drill elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Oil pan return drain fitting help!!!