Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ok, here we go.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 694 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Jarrett recently put his Nova on the dyno. He upgraded to forged pistons/rods and put 1 more PSI in it IIRC (25 vs 24). Judging by the numbers it made through a glide, he was making well over 1000 HP on his SBE 6.0.

I’m talking WHP since that was the OP’s goal in the first post. I’m not saying it can’t be done… but it’s not a reality for most. Esp. someone looking at small T4 80mm Chinese turbos with baby exh wheels on gen3 engines.

Stock48’s new setup just put down 970 uncorrected at 25lbs. The new engine also has more, cubes, cam, and can handle more RPM (pretty sure it has flat top pistons too, but don’t quote me on that) The new engine is also running a totally different turbo than the SBE engine did. Jarrett even claims the difference between the two turbos was 100-150hp+.

While I understand the dyno was done at elevation, you can’t apply standard dyno corrections to a turbo car. Yes, the new setup would easily make 1000whp+ uncorrected at sea level with more boost. I doubt the original SBE setup would have. His new trap speeds prove the current setup is making A LOT more power than the SBE setup with smaller turbo did.

I’d also like to mention no one is anywhere near Jarrett as far as weight and trap speed with similar equipment. He is the LS unicorn.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I’m talking WHP since that was the OP’s goal in the first post. I’m not saying it can’t be done… but it’s not a reality for most. Esp. someone looking at small T4 80mm Chinese turbos with baby exh wheels on gen3 engines.

Stock48’s new setup just put down 970 uncorrected at 25lbs. The new engine also has more, cubes, cam, and can handle more RPM (pretty sure it has flat top pistons too, but don’t quote me on that) The new engine is also running a totally different turbo than the SBE engine did. Jarrett even claims the difference between the two turbos was 100-150hp+.

While I understand the dyno was done at elevation, you can’t apply standard dyno corrections to a turbo car. Yes, the new setup would easily make 1000whp+ uncorrected at sea level with more boost. I doubt the original SBE setup would have. His new trap speeds prove the current setup is making A LOT more power than the SBE setup with smaller turbo did.

I’d also like to mention no one is anywhere near Jarrett as far as weight and trap speed with similar equipment. He is the LS unicorn.
His new setup made 1194whp at altitude..
Old 07-27-2015, 04:06 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova
His new setup made 1194whp at altitude..
No it didn't. It made 970 uncorrected and 1195 corrected. Like I said you can't use corrected numbers on turbo cars.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...590407&page=43
Old 07-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I wasnt following the YB page. Just seen the dyno sheet and it didnt show any correction factor on it. He mentioned it making that at 6500 or whatever feet and I thought maybe they were uncorrected numbers.

Good to know.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 AM
8 Second Club

I’m not claiming the Uncorrected #’s are “real world” WHP either. Weight vs trap is closer to accurate and the hardest to fake IMO. Either way, it puts things into perspective when claimed (dyno’d) “1000+” hp cars in lighter chassis trap 10-20 less mph than Jarret’s combo.

In the OP’s case I really think twins are the way to go. A single capable of similar power is much more expensive. He has all the space in the world in the back of that truck and it puts the weight where he needs it.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wanted twins. Then I got married. But hey, theres still hope.

Anyhow, I am good going with a twin setup in the bed. But would much rather choose a turbo without internal wastegates. I don't know about them really, so I like to stay in my comfort zone so to speak. Which turbos would be suggested now with external wastegates?

I am also most likely going with the A2W system. I have a plan laid out for the bed. Its going to be a bad *** setup. I am so ready to order some parts.

I just cant tell my wife.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

After going back through this thread, I think I am leaning to the GT45's.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM
8 Second Club

It’s hard to beat the gt45 for price/reliability. ($200 shipped) After seeing what a tiny shot of nitrous for 1000rpm or so can do for spool-up, I’d go with them as well.

If you don’t want to mess with nitrous, the gt45’s will be on the laggy side with a mild 6.0. (Esp. remote mounted) The ON3 70’s would spool up better ($325 shipped) with the .68AR housings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-3-Performance-70mm-Turbocharger-t4-Camaro-Firebird-/141727056011?hash=item20ff97408b&vxp=mtr
Old 07-30-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

I can handle a being a little laggy if it isn't too bad. I plan to install a converter when I do this even with the engine staying stock. That should help it quite a bit. Heck this truck needs one now. LOL. Its a 60ft turd. On the final build, its going to get a bit more serious under the hood. I don't plan to increase cubic inches though. But you never know.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

So going with twin GT 45 setup. What size wastegate do you suggest? Also should I run the BOV closer to the TB or run 2 between the turbo and the IC so it doesn't over pressure the IC ? I am going to run a twin inlet A2W IC setup.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taxman20
So going with twin GT 45 setup. What size wastegate do you suggest? Also should I run the BOV closer to the TB or run 2 between the turbo and the IC so it doesn't over pressure the IC ? I am going to run a twin inlet A2W IC setup.
1 38mm per turbo is fine.

1 60mm BOV at the TB is fine as well IMO.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Cool. I was worried about popping the IC but I figured the one would be fine.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 PM
8 Second Club

definitely won't pop an IC... BOV is to stop air from slamming back into the turbo compressor.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

OK, its begun. Bought a set of Gen4 LQ4 rods and pistons. Ordering more on Monday.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone have an idea if this cam is good for my build?
247/247 .615/.608 112 lsa 300 ultradyne

Also going to pick up a new Turbosmart Race Port BOV tomorrow from a member here. Got an awesome deal on it. Rod bolts on the way as well.

Looks like I am going to go ahead a build the engine now so I don't have to do it later.

Last edited by Taxman20; 08-04-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Parts are building.
Bought a TU2 cam with BTR .660 ti spring kit. ARP Rod bolts. BTR pushrods.
As soon as I get all the engine parts I will pull it, tear it down and have the block cleaned and cam bearings installed. Balance the rotating assy and put it back together.

Then I will be able to just install the turbo setup once I build up those parts and the engine will be ready to go.

Still trying to decide what to do about the trany. Either keep the 80e, build it and add a converter since I plan to drive it on the street. Or go Th400 or PG.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, I know. Wow a slow build. LOL Haven't started the build just yet as I am still getting all the parts together. But I am very close. I've been very busy with my businesses so not a lot of time to mess with the truck. Spending time on my Lemons race car since we have a race in a couple weeks.

So far I have everything for the engine build except trunion upgrade, bearings and rings. I want the machine shop to clean the block up, check it out and balance the rotating assembly to be safe on what size I need for everything. I also need a fuel pump, but haven't deiced which one to get yet.

On the turbo stuff I now have the Turbosmart Race port BOV, a BW S482 turbo, eBoost2 controller. I need the wastegate but should have one in the next couple weeks. Waiting to the last minute basically for the A2W IC, Ice tank, pump and hot & cold piping. Not sure if this is still going to be a bed mount or not.

Picking up a built Powerglide trany with a Hughes 3500 turbo converter in a couple weeks.

One thing I am trying to figure what I want to do is the engine management system. This is something I am truly clueless on. Do I keep the stock ECM and use the HP Tuners or go aftermarket like Megasquirt or someone else. I've been reading a lot of bad things about the Megasquirt so I am getting leery on that one.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Bad things about the megasquirt like what?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Its all really beyond what I personally know about the electronics and tuning and such. While searching for info on all kinds of things, stuff pops up and I check it out. Such as https://www.facebook.com/MegaSquirtSux/
Again, I don't know a lot about these, so I am having to rely on others info.

There is other posts on other forums as well. Now this doesn't mean that I wouldn't use them as I am still leaning that way. I was just wanting opinions from guys running this stuff to see which one is the easiest to work with and maybe one works better than the other. If the consensus is that a certain product is best, then that's the way I would most likely go, even Megasquirt.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxman20
Its all really beyond what I personally know about the electronics and tuning and such. While searching for info on all kinds of things, stuff pops up and I check it out. Such as https://www.facebook.com/MegaSquirtSux/
Again, I don't know a lot about these, so I am having to rely on others info.

There is other posts on other forums as well. Now this doesn't mean that I wouldn't use them as I am still leaning that way. I was just wanting opinions from guys running this stuff to see which one is the easiest to work with and maybe one works better than the other. If the consensus is that a certain product is best, then that's the way I would most likely go, even Megasquirt.
Yeah I see. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong in being skeptical just honestly curious what you had found.

That guy does seem like a butt hurt idiot though.

I will say that there is only one system I have found that can do everything that ms3 can and it costs over 6 grand and they have to install it for you.

Quick Reply: ok, here we go.