Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo lq4 blowing oil under boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Turbo lq4 blowing oil under boost

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to solve my constant oil leak problems. My specs are in my signature. The problem is that after making a pull under boost I develop oil leak from what seems to be the rear of the motor my starter,oil pan and bellhousing will be dripping oil.I have a -4 feed from above the oil filter block and a -10 drain going to the front timing cover. I'm using the stock ls1 pcv system untouched. Wondering if I should try a vented oil cap..or a catch can since I'm noticing oil residue at the exhaust pipes and back bumper. Is it possible I may have started to push out a rear oil seal on the motor from boost? It never had an oil leak before the turbo setup. I hate having people stare at the car as it warms up and begins to burn off oil and smoke. The smell gets to you after awhile. Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Stock LS1 PCV system untouched...and therein lies the problem.

The engine will either have no breathing at all under boost, or you're pumping boost into the crankcase
Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

What's the best way to remedy it?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best? Google Mighty Mouse solutions and call him!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

I have a vented oil cap I'll try that for now and invest in a catch can.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If you are blowing boost into the crankcase, just watch the cap doesnt let it blow oil all over the engine compartment instead.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pressure in the crankcase. Invest in a catch can. You may still need to check the rear seal as well, If youve done this enough times. Its possible it will still leak after the catch can install. May want to put in a new rear seal.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

So I had the car running with the vented oil cap and it does indeed allow the oil vapor mist the engine compartment.Ive wrapped a rag around temporary to reduce it.The car is going on the dyno in the morning and tune so hopefully things go well. Now i need to shop what is a good catch can for the money that isnt just a pretty anodized can under the hood.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mighty Mouse solutions black catch can works great , I think its around 150$ shipped. Mine is holding up fine at 17 PSI.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Make sure to disconnect that stock PCV system and cap off the vacuum port - it will just blow boost into the crankcase making things much worse!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Just installing a catch can isn't going to help with pressurizing the crank case. You have to be able to relieve the crank case pressure you are producing. A catch can is to catch the oil FROM the blow by, that is getting back into the intake track. It's not going to relieve any more pressure than with out the catch cans. In order to relieve crank case pressure, you have to have bigger vents. Which is why some suggested a vented oil cap.

I personally have -10 AN fittings coming off of both valve covers, and I run those to a catch can that is vented to atmosphere, instead of back into the intake.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

The MM can is a vented can with a 1 way valve. Isn't that ideal? And you can order it in different size fittings. That should catch the oil and relieve pressure reducing my issues substantially
Old 07-03-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Redbull87
The MM can is a vented can with a 1 way valve. Isn't that ideal? And you can order it in different size fittings. That should catch the oil and relieve pressure reducing my issues substantially
Well, that's good and I've heard it's a quality product. But you are still working with the same OEM size outlets off of your valve cover and your valley cover. Those are where the restrictions are happening. Which is why adding a vented oil cap helps. You are adding one more place for pressure to leave.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SATAN
Just installing a catch can isn't going to help with pressurizing the crank case. You have to be able to relieve the crank case pressure you are producing. A catch can is to catch the oil FROM the blow by, that is getting back into the intake track. It's not going to relieve any more pressure than with out the catch cans. In order to relieve crank case pressure, you have to have bigger vents. Which is why some suggested a vented oil cap.

I personally have -10 AN fittings coming off of both valve covers, and I run those to a catch can that is vented to atmosphere, instead of back into the intake.
Good info here ^^^^
Old 07-12-2015, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the input.Im just playing the waiting game for my catch can. MM has a 2 week waiting list before it will be ready.For now im just venting everything to atmosphere which is working great..except for it looking like steam coming out of the hood and ppl freakout sometimes lol.

Quick Reply: Turbo lq4 blowing oil under boost