Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV clean air intake port for twin turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV clean air intake port for twin turbo setup?

Ok, so I have my catch can setup where my dirty ports are going into the can and the can is drawing air from the intake when not in boost, and from the turbo inlet when under boost. What do I do about the air inlet port on the valve cover? In the documentation, it says you want it to get the air AFTER the MAF sensor, but what about in a boosted setup? This is like one of the last things I have to figure out before I get this thing started.

Here it is in the picture with the arrow pointing at it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you have a MAF or do you run SD?
If MAF then yes, the suction point "should" be behind the MAF. Because it will draw from a pressure pipe the line needs a PCV check valve.
SD setup just tap between air filter and turbo on the suction side. Turbos create wicked vac between inlet and filter. No check valve needed.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

I am running the MAF. I have nothing to port it off of between the mass airflow sensor and the throttle body. can I source it from after the throttle body?of course, with the check valve in place.

Thank you for the response
Old 07-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Wouldn't be too difficult to have a port added to the pipe the MAF resides in. Assuming the MAF isn't right at the end of the pipe.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Given how small the pipe is, just route it to fresh air or pre-turbo if you want it fully re-circulating.

You'll be tuning based on the install as it is configured anyway, so it wont matter and it isnt something that will vary in use.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PPI Typhoon
I am running the MAF. I have nothing to port it off of between the mass airflow sensor and the throttle body. can I source it from after the throttle body?of course, with the check valve in place.

Thank you for the response
Is that pic YOUR engine bay? If so the only spot for a blow-through MAF is in the straight charge pipe directly in front of your throttle.

You can put an inline check valve to use manifold vac as source. The problem with this method is you won't have vac when you need it most and you'll have strongest vac when you don't need it at all.

Port in between turbo and filter. Be sure your catch can is working and ignore MAF location. Tapping behind MAF is more important with smaller engines and smaller turbos (my sti was picky until I bolted on a 60lbs/min turbo).

Really you shouldn't have enough blowby volume to make a difference as far as metered air. Personally, I like my turbos running rich so losing metered air is better.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Awesome, thank you for the answers. That's what I was worried about with it being with no supply under boost. But that makes sense about being able to tune around it, I assume that as blow-by gets worse, I'll have to tweak the tune a bit, but that's not really that big of a deal.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Is that pic YOUR engine bay? If so the only spot for a blow-through MAF is in the straight charge pipe directly in front of your throttle.

You can put an inline check valve to use manifold vac as source. The problem with this method is you won't have vac when you need it most and you'll have strongest vac when you don't need it at all.

Port in between turbo and filter. Be sure your catch can is working and ignore MAF location. Tapping behind MAF is more important with smaller engines and smaller turbos (my sti was picky until I bolted on a 60lbs/min turbo).

Really you shouldn't have enough blowby volume to make a difference as far as metered air. Personally, I like my turbos running rich so losing metered air is better.
Yes, that's a pic of my engine bay. You do make a good point about it running richer. That's certainly better than going lean.

Quick Reply: PCV clean air intake port for twin turbo setup?