Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What are you guys doing to trigger your a2w pump on the street

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are you guys doing to trigger your a2w pump on the street

At the track ill use an overide switch but what are you guys using for street driving? A hobbs switch to activate maybe but shouldnt it run for a couple minutes, what keeps it on? Im using the dominator efi so im sure that opens up the door for whatever. Thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Why would you not want it to run all the time??
Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a 3 position switch for mine that is hooked up to the auxillary output on my eboost2 and set to come on at 4lbs of boost, or I can set it to run all the time.

You wouldn't want it running all the time because if you have ice in the tank the waterflow will eat up the ice. You are only creating heat when you are in boost, so no need to run it all the time either.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Why would you not want it to run all the time??
Im guessing you've never owned an a2w setup before haha

You dont run the pump all of the time because it just heats the water up and boils it. Whats the point of cold water flowing into the intercooler while sitting in traffic or cruising down the highway? There is no point. Many a2w cars dont have the room and simply dont run heat exchangers to aid in cooling.

To answer your question... Lots of guys run the pump off a hobbs switch(set at 1-4psi), on/off switch or a combination of both... 3 position, off/on/hobbs. if you are running dual fuel pumps but only cruise on 1, you can also tie into the circuit for the 2nd pump so when it comes on so does the water circulation pump.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have run mine all the time and also occassionally cycled it. See little difference in temps. On warm day water temps will eventually get to 100-110 deg after long driving. I just keep it on all the time. Iats still seem to stay below 100 tho

Turbos get hot even off boost. Touch your compressor housing lol that will heat up the water in the cooler abit.
So i have been just leaving it on while street driving. No ice needed. It will rarely go over 100 deg iat while moving, as turbos take in ambient air and only get heated slightly by the compressor housing.
The pump will NOT heat up the water and boil it. Atleast the Rule series pumps dont. It does nothing to heat the water from what i can tell. If any its miniscule

I got like a 6 gallon system and rule 2000 pump just wired on a switch.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pump does run all the time, and you're not running a heat exchanger, your intercooler will just pull any extra heat out of the water at idle/cruise speed. So that little bit of heat energy the intercooler pump is putting in should be really insignificant. However when you're using ice/water, I completely understand not wanting to run it all the time.
I have mine come on via trigger wire in the boost controller (or manual pushbutton), and it runs an extra 30 sec or so via a 12v Wolsten Tech time delay off relay.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The whole purpose of ice in the tank is to prechill the intercooler. You want to keep dumping in ice and running the pump to cycle the water to prechill the entire system before you get to the staging beams. Chiseled recommended 10-15 min of prechilling i think.

I am not to concerned with getting ice temp iats. As long as my iat is between 75-100 i am happy which is pretty good in warm weather. I will put ice in once i get to the track to bring my water temps down to 55-60 deg. Cycle enough the system is cold while i approach the beams after burnout. Been working well.

I have no exchanger on my system. No issues, it just will go alittle over ambient after long drives. Like said mid 80's ambient tank temps approach 100-110 after alittle driving. If leave car in sun parked for awhile it will heat the tank up more but will eventually cool down
Old 07-10-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having it triggered via hobbs switch and stay on for 1/2 minute after boost using a Wolsten time delay off relay.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

WOT switch and time delay relay.

Biggest problem with a hobbs is that you have already hit full boost before the cold water has even had time to cool the aluminum back down to ambient temps.

With a WOT switch, it is already cooling as you are still building boost. Not much of a difference, but it can add couple of seconds of cooling in some situations. Also keeps the pump from kicking on if you had part throttle boost issues on the street.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
WOT switch and time delay relay.

Biggest problem with a hobbs is that you have already hit full boost before the cold water has even had time to cool the aluminum back down to ambient temps.

With a WOT switch, it is already cooling as you are still building boost. Not much of a difference, but it can add couple of seconds of cooling in some situations. Also keeps the pump from kicking on if you had part throttle boost issues on the street.
How much boost do you make at say 3/4 throttle? No issues with temps then?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Im guessing you've never owned an a2w setup before haha"
Smartass, you see anywhere in the op's post, that said he had a cold water/ice tank??
And, yes I've been doing this for more than a day, or two....
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming your not icing the water down then run it all the time. That way you are effectively getting another HE with a constant supply of cold air.

People seem to forget that at idle / low throttle openings you turbo setup will still be in decent vacum. This means loads of nice cold air (yes it will be cooler than ambient, PV=nRT and all) going across the chargecooler and bring a water temps down.

In fact most OEM setup actually reject more heat into the chargecooler at closed throttle than out the HE!

Obviously if you ice the system down this is a daft idea. Here you want to ONLY run the pump when you have to. At least until your water temps are upto ambient temps.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

People seem to forget that at idle / low throttle openings you turbo setup will still be in decent vacum. This means loads of nice cold air (yes it will be cooler than ambient, PV=nRT and all) going across the chargecooler and bring a water temps down.
In theory yes but most of the time the compressor housing is hot if you have been running for awhile and will have some effect on heating the air inlet charge. Also heat soak to the charge piping that is exposed to underhood temps. Even if my water is cooler than ambient i am seeing iat near tb to be generally 5-10 deg higher than ambient after short while of driving. Iat at the coolers may be slightly less but there is only a foot section of charge pipe near tb exposed to underhood temps
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Setup is a sandwiched 417 a2w with a 5 gallon tank and rule 200 and 30' of 1" lines.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Very easy to setup an output with your dominator efi system to trigger
a relay at 90-100kpa, 3/4 tps etc. I'm using the hp efi & just set it up
to trigger my meth pump based on kpa.

Quick Reply: What are you guys doing to trigger your a2w pump on the street