Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whipple build please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple build please help!!

Ive invested a crazy amount of hrs and money into building this set up. I 3.3L Whipple on a Magnacharger manifold. The Whipple has a custom jack shaft. I set the charger back a few inches and i need to make a extension for the shaft. Its pretty Basic. But every place i go to gives me some bullshit excuse about liability..im like what ******* liability..my belt popping off???!!! Any way their Lorenzo's fast flow cylinder heads around me. Very well known and supposed to be top notch. Dude new his ****..New right what to do. Told me it'll be done by the end of the week. Its now 2 months. He pretty much told me he doesn't have time..Tuff ****. He referred another guy who seemed to know his **** and when i went over and explained he gave me the same Bullshit liability excuse..and couldn't explain the liability because he didn't know..my blood was boiling..i'm at the point i feel like crying. Ive got a ton invested in this thing. I just wanna drive my baby again. PLEASE HELP. if anyone has basic machining knowledge and a laith and drill press you can easily do it..Or please refer me to someone.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you use a jack shaft style head unit of you were planning on using a modified maggie lower tub?

Here's our 3.4 whipple on a 383
Uses a modified maggie lower manifold and a bigger h/e in the intake

No 30k rpm shaft necessary
Old 09-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Teching In

i bought a old kit from dragon racing. The manifold was a **** design. I was trying to salvage the thing rather then start from scratch
Old 09-10-2015, 05:10 PM
8 Second Club

Ahh
I gotcha
Can you not move the blower on the lower tub to where the pulley would line up

That's basically all we did
Built a new floor for it, positioned the head unit where it would line up with the corvette accesories, and cut some holes for the bolts and the discharge
Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Teching In

hood clearance..that far foward it would stick out my hood probably 6-8inches. I have a 04 V. I was thinking about turning it back around. I could use a longer snout drive. But i had trouble finding a LS TB elbow or adapter. Only one i could find was that billet lsx on they sell for like 600. I tried posting pictures of the setup but they said they have to be approved. Who made your Throttle body elbow?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:57 AM
8 Second Club

It's a piece of 4 inch stainless donut from mandrelbends.com
Made a cardboard template of the throttle body and cut two flanges out of some stainless sheet we had laying around and welded it up
Very simple setup, the only issue was trying to bolt it onto the blower, not much room for a wrench there
Ended up using some Allen head bolts and a long Allen wrench to get it to tighten down

The car also has a 6 inch cowl hood, so that helps the clearance quite a bit...lol
Old 09-12-2015, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great project (apart from the pain your facing now) I think the market has been waiting for one of the larger whipples to be mounted like this.

Can you not get a custom pulley made up that's deeper? Have you got any pics of the setup? Can you not just get a longer version of the shaft out of the same material?

Anyway we need pics.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Teching In

any half decient machine shop could make this. They just keep giving me this liability story. If i tried to do a longer pulley of shaft they would give me the same excuses..no time or to much liability. The finished product is the black and aluminum finish
Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Old 09-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Quick Reply: Whipple build please help!!