Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New Fairmont Futura 2dr first start LQ4 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Fairmont Futura 2dr first start LQ4 Turbo

Here's my project. Decided to call it TOP GUN because the car came from an air force base and it seemed fitting. Its my first swap of any kind. Ive had it for a little over a year and i have done all the work on it besides the aluminum welding. I rebuilt the motor, did the harness, custom stainless piping(manifolds), rear end etc. I tried to save money where i could. It has taken me way longer than I expected. I cant believe how fast some of you guys finish projects on here. Its amazing. My hats off to you guys.
Anyway my favorite parts of the car are the factory column shifter and the old Alpine head unit haha. That gives you an idea of my style. I want the interior to look untouched because it is in damn near mint condition.

Specs:
Factory ecu i did the harness
Stock Bottom end 6.0 fully rebuilt
S475 Borg Warner
LS6 cam
LS1 intake
60lb. injectors
Btr .660 springs comp pushrods
317 heads ls9 gaskets
8.8 rear 4 lug
4l80e RV transmission
First Start!

Crusty 240k 6.0

4l80e out of dump truck had a built in e brake on the yoke. Its gone now.

Clean from the shop

Saleen replicas

I love alpine old schools

Made trans brace

Made motor mounts

Harness done with help of LT1 Swap.com

Factory column shifter bracket worked with 4l80e after modifications.

Clearance for sway bar

80e barely fits

Schedule 10 stainless

Cant wait to beat this guy at work. He's an *******.

Ford 8.8 3.31 gears installed, 31 spline 4 lug axles

Welded in the trans bracket to subframe box connectors with poly bushings. Also lenghtened the subframe connectors to make them fit the longer fox body Fairmont chassis

Had to cut the truck pan down a couple times cause i messed up but it finally cleared nice

Decided to go with dual wastegates for the twin scroll setup. One for each bank of cylinders.

My 1982 Ford Thunderbird (Town Landau lol) I love this car! I didnt know they existed until i found this one and fell in love with it immediately. Its the same platform as the fairmonts!

This will probably also get a healthy LS!

Last edited by Budget LS Guy; 09-10-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! You did good on your first swap. It's going to hurt some feelings!!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks! I hope so! The car has some really cool custom made things on it that i will post up with a full list of pics soon.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Build thread added
Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

The blue car kinda looks like a more modern Starsky and Hutch car.
I like it!!!!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

How about resizing the pics...Most folks don't project their web pages onto their 60" flat screen.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Teching In

thats not an e brake on the yoke, its called a chassis brake or some ****. used in big trucks as an additional brake

btw, that car is bad ***, it would be cool if you could get your original wheels widened for even more of a sleeper look.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Be SURE to run a couple extra quarts of oil in that pan. Don't just fill it to the full line. 2 inches out of the pan is about 2 quarts (lay 2 quarts on their side next to each other, about the same amount you took out of the pan). You don't want to suck the pan dry.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I will try and resize the pics my bad lol. The piece of the pan i cut out about (1 1/4") only took about 1 quart of oil suprisingly. I know because i tested it to see how much it held. Good advice though for sure. That RV transmission brake was kinda cool i was gonna try to use it as a trans brake or something but there's no way it would fit.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Budget LS Guy
Thanks guys. I will try and resize the pics my bad lol. The piece of the pan i cut out about (1 1/4") only took about 1 quart of oil suprisingly. I know because i tested it to see how much it held. Good advice though for sure. That RV transmission brake was kinda cool i was gonna try to use it as a trans brake or something but there's no way it would fit.
I found a good deal on one of those 4l80e with the weird brake too! Is yours originally from an LS truck ('01+) or is it from a Vortec? If so, anything to watch out for?

Which S475 is that? I assume the cheap, T6 frame 1.32 A/R? I'm working on a crusty 6.0 swap Fox as well, lol. That's a weeded out factory engine harness?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slowhatch
I found a good deal on one of those 4l80e with the weird brake too! Is yours originally from an LS truck ('01+) or is it from a Vortec? If so, anything to watch out for?

Which S475 is that? I assume the cheap, T6 frame 1.32 A/R? I'm working on a crusty 6.0 swap Fox as well, lol. That's a weeded out factory engine harness?
My 4l80e was from a dump truck i found lol! It was a Vortec engine but i believe the the trans was rebuilt by Certified transmission in 2001. There are some little obstacles if you want to use it. First, the brake must go and you might want to shave down the giant extra metal ring on the yoke. You HAVE to use the factory yoke. It is a fixed bolt on yoke by the way. Which means your driveshaft has to be made a slip shaft. Which is fine. I tried a couple different yokes and there is not a slip yoke that will work. You will have to make a good custom trans mount for it as well. One kind of cool thing about these transmissions is they have straight cut planetary gears. I hope it makes a whining noise!

My turbo is a 1.10ar 83mm turbine wheel with the t4 housing. Yep, had to shell out some extra shillings for it. I originally was going to use the t6 housing, but its so damn big i was getting pissed at it trying to fit it. I spent an extra $140 on getting the t4 because it will spool up so much faster too And yeah harness is factory 2001 truck harness. Was able to figure it out with the help of LT1 Swap.com. Granted it took me a solid 8 hours because it was the first one i've ever done. I think i could probably do it in 4 hours my second time.

Last edited by Budget LS Guy; 08-28-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Launching!

My 4l80e was from a dump truck i found lol! It was a Vortec engine but i believe the the trans was rebuilt by Certified transmission in 2001. There are some little obstacles if you want to use it. First, the brake must go and you might want to shave down the giant extra metal ring on the yoke. You HAVE to use the factory yoke. It is a fixed bolt on yoke by the way. Which means your driveshaft has to be made a slip shaft. Which is fine. I tried a couple different yokes and there is not a slip yoke that will work. You will have to make a good custom trans mount for it as well. One kind of cool thing about these transmissions is they have straight cut planetary gears. I hope it makes a whining noise!

My turbo is a 1.10ar 83mm turbine wheel with the t4 housing. Yep, had to shell out some extra shillings for it. I originally was going to use the t6 housing, but its so damn big i was getting pissed at it trying to fit it. I spent an extra $140 on getting the t4 because it will spool up so much faster too And yeah harness is factory 2001 truck harness. Was able to figure it out with the help of LT1 Swap.com. Granted it took me a solid 8 hours because it was the first one i've ever done. I think i could probably do it in 4 hours my second time.
Where'd you get the T4 S475 for only $140 more? How did you weld the stainless hotside?

I think I'll pass on the funky 4l80e, it sounds like a pain.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Nice build! Make sure you get a video of you kicking the crap out of that vet!!! It's always fun to put those guys in there place!!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slowhatch
Where'd you get the T4 S475 for only $140 more? How did you weld the stainless hotside?

I think I'll pass on the funky 4l80e, it sounds like a pain.
I just bought the t6 1.10ar 83mm turbo on forced inductions for $699 i believe, and then i bought a t4 83mm turbine housing for it on ebay for $140. I use the t6 housing as a cupholder now. Had my friend tig weld some of the hotside and i mig welded some of it. Make sure when you weld the iron manifolds that you heat the area you are welding red hot with a torch, or else they will crack when they cool.

Last edited by Budget LS Guy; 09-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. I'm building the same car only difference is mines white and I'm using a 5.3. Who made your driveshaft? What are your goals for the car?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

mmmmm v nice! what size hot side is that? Plz post up a video of you against the vette!
Old 09-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Launching!

I just bought the t6 1.10ar 83mm turbo on forced inductions for $699 i believe, and then i bought a t4 83mm turbine housing for it on ebay for $140. I use the t6 housing as a cupholder now. Had my friend tig weld some of the hotside and i mig welded some of it. Make sure when you weld the iron manifolds that you heat the area you are welding red hot with a torch, or else they will crack when they cool.
I have a high mileage LQ4 I just bought. What all did you replace when you rebuilt the motor? Just rings and bearings? What did you end up spending on it?

Quick Reply: New Fairmont Futura 2dr first start LQ4 Turbo