Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Questions on Turbocharging my 98 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plopped it right on top of a Huron speed kit. had to fab a 4" downpipe, but with the stood up radiator there's tons of room.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteenH
I plopped it right on top of a Huron speed kit. had to fab a 4" downpipe, but with the stood up radiator there's tons of room.
Yeah thats what i am planning to do notch the radiator support just like in killer ls1 write up. Run a griffin radiator or try to keep the stocker if possible. I am looking at buying supporting mods do you guys suggest i should buy pushrods??? If so what length i am keeping stock bottom end???
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

BB over journal bearing has zero to do with power and very little advantage in spool time. The BB shines in TRANSIENT response, letting off then getting back on it. Really with enough cfm from the motor it won't matter. It helps with small motor/big turbo setups.

FWIW, when driving my turbo car it feels sluggish and laggy. When RACING the car never comes out of boost so BB center wouldn't matter.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a big fan of the Borg Warner S472 turbo. T4 flange, 1.10 housing, 83mm wheel would provide lighting fast spool times, great transient response and have plenty of available airflow to make 800rwhp with the right camshaft.

The cam you have chosen has WAY too much overlap. It will be down on power, VERY slow to spool and the only thing good about it(if you can even call this good) is that it will sound like it's fast, but it won't be. Hah!

That cam works well N/A, but for a turbo you really need something different. I have tested and used a few different cams with the S472 unit and other S300 and S400 series turbochargers and I'd be glad to offer my services if you'd like to take advantage of them!

Contact info is in my signature, or just shoot me a PM! Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Martin that sounds great I be very interested I am waiting till Black friday to buy most of my stuff. I am very interested in getting it asap I may run a s475 though with a 1.0 a/r
Old 11-23-2015, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

I will have some Black Friday deals going on from Black Friday till the end of the month.

As far as the S472 vs. S475 it really comes down to how much power you want to make. Each turbo is going to be capable of moving different amounts of airflow, so each one will have different power curves and spool times.

If you want to make more than 800rwhp I'd go with the S475 with a T6 flange, 1.32 housing and 96mm wheel.

If you're happy with making 800rwhp or less, then a S475 with a T4 flange, 1.10 housing and 83mm wheel would work with the right cam. You could also do a 83mm wheel with the 1.25 housing to free up some top end power if you wanted, and it wouldn't alter the spool times much compared to the 1.10.

I mention the T4, 1.10 83mm wheel combo as I have used it many times with great success.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
I will have some Black Friday deals going on from Black Friday till the end of the month.

As far as the S472 vs. S475 it really comes down to how much power you want to make. Each turbo is going to be capable of moving different amounts of airflow, so each one will have different power curves and spool times.

If you want to make more than 800rwhp I'd go with the S475 with a T6 flange, 1.32 housing and 96mm wheel.

If you're happy with making 800rwhp or less, then a S475 with a T4 flange, 1.10 housing and 83mm wheel would work with the right cam. You could also do a 83mm wheel with the 1.25 housing to free up some top end power if you wanted, and it wouldn't alter the spool times much compared to the 1.10.

I mention the T4, 1.10 83mm wheel combo as I have used it many times with great success.

Martin ive be interested in some of your stuff do you have a website or something that i can see what you have in stock. I have my best bud have his stuff done at Tic Performance a year back. He was in love with everything I was living in Greensboro at the moment
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by zrultima
Martin ive be interested in some of your stuff do you have a website or something that i can see what you have in stock. I have my best bud have his stuff done at Tic Performance a year back. He was in love with everything I was living in Greensboro at the moment
SRD just started its Black Friday sales today!

Check SRD out on Facebook or the sponsor sale section here for details!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well was going to take advantage on buying some parts to get my Trans Am started. never welded in my life so I bought a cheap arc welder just to get started nothing to complicated and I bought some of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181944503029?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Do i have to do any modifications to get these to fit I am also looking at tunning software at the moment hp tuner or efi live so many choices
Old 12-01-2015, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Interested in what tuning choices you will go with since we both have a 98 PCM...

Sub'd!
Old 12-01-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MMorgan9812
Interested in what tuning choices you will go with since we both have a 98 PCM...

Sub'd!
I was thinking about go tuned I will probably tried to do a build thread
Old 12-01-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MMorgan9812

Sub'd!
If you have a 98 hp tuners is the only way to go. I wish i would have just done a pcm swap instead.
Also only 2 bar VE table for 98. You can still run a 3bar map with some scaling though.

Last edited by sbcgenII; 12-01-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know how it would limit what I am going for since i will most like fun the biggest I am going if i were to upsize is a s475 single. I got my truck manifolds today will post pics
Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a quick question guys I am looking for an alternator relocation kit ive seen a few on ebay but I wouldnt know which one to choose any assistance??? As far a the k member is there any way to manage with the stock one??? I had a almost close impossible time trying to put the truck manifolds in so anything i need please let me know
Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 572 Likes on 447 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hope this info helps, did a build thread on my 02 SS a few years ago from start to finish and she's still running hard as ever so I must have done a few things right (knock on wood) lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-build.html
Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you very good read i appreciate threads that have all parts that were needed helps me gauge alot on what to buyband where to buy
Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zrultima
I have a quick question guys I am looking for an alternator relocation kit ive seen a few on ebay but I wouldnt know which one to choose any assistance??? As far a the k member is there any way to manage with the stock one??? I had a almost close impossible time trying to put the truck manifolds in so anything i need please let me know
I bought the On3 alternator relocation kit for my build it cost about $100 you can find them on the web site. I am using the stock k member and you have to notch it on the passenger side. My manifolds went rite in but I did delete the AC and removed everything before I tried to put them in.

With everything out i slid the manifolds in from the front of the motor
Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Arsenal
I bought the On3 alternator relocation kit for my build it cost about $100 you can find them on the web site. I am using the stock k member and you have to notch it on the passenger side. My manifolds went rite in but I did delete the AC and removed everything before I tried to put them in.

With everything out i slid the manifolds in from the front of the motor
Well when I try to put on the driver side manifold I kept hitting the power steering pulley. I will definitely take a look at the on 3 relocation bracket I definitely need to start ASAP because I have all the parts sitting with nothing to do
Old 05-01-2016, 01:11 AM
Teching In

I had the same problem. I don't know if you can get it in with the pulley on. I removed the pulley and the pump. You can usually borrow tools from the parts store(put down a deposit and get it all back when you return the tool) you need a pully puller to remove the pulley and the power steering pump. You pull the pulley off then you can get to the bolts that hold the power steering pump on. Once those are off it will fit in. You will also have to massage/bend your brake lines away from the manifold once it is in or they will rub. If you take the pulley off they do make after market ones with holes in the pulley so you can remove the pump with out taking the pulley off in the future.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Arsenal
I had the same problem. I don't know if you can get it in with the pulley on. I removed the pulley and the pump. You can usually borrow tools from the parts store(put down a deposit and get it all back when you return the tool) you need a pully puller to remove the pulley and the power steering pump. You pull the pulley off then you can get to the bolts that hold the power steering pump on. Once those are off it will fit in. You will also have to massage/bend your brake lines away from the manifold once it is in or they will rub. If you take the pulley off they do make after market ones with holes in the pulley so you can remove the pump with out taking the pulley off in the future.

Thanks for the advice I was able to get the pump off without removing the pulley but it was time consuming I'm trying to take the front end off today but I will get those installed as soon as I can thank you so much Arsenal

Quick Reply: Questions on Turbocharging my 98 LS1