Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosting and changing map questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting and changing map questions

Disclaimer* I figured id put this in the FI bc ppl don't always look at the tuning section. also I have searched and read most every thread on this subject on here and I'm still open to suggestion on controlling this.

Ok so I have a 2000 Ta w/f1 procharger same in the sig. I currently have a 4.25" pulley on it and I'm making about 12 psi of boost, it is great for the street and lots of fun. I don't really get traction in 1st and 2nd on the street but go out to the track and everything is fine.

So iv been wanting to pulley down and make more boost for the track and top gears. so I have been thinking about doing a wastegate before the fmic and blowing off the boost for the street so I don't have to switch pulleys to change boost. (yes I know this is harder on the SC, I plan on keeping the sc rpm's well below the 70K max) I have been thinking about running boost by gear (looking for a model) and or mph and running a boost controller to control the wastegate. The car has a HP tuner tune on it now and it runs great.

My question is, I was also have been thinking of switching maps so I could run different gas for track or higher boost nights and was wondering what the easiest program is to do this. One of my buddies runs Mega Squirt and likes it, and another buddies dad is in the process of tuning his car and using diablo to tune his Hellcat for 93, 109, E85 (car is not back from the shop so don't know how it works just yet). I don't mind having to load a different map (can get a small comp for cheap) to change fuel or something like that but I am trying to find out the best way to do this. If anyone has done it please let me know what has worked best for you and what has not worked. Any help would be awesome, kinda new to this portion but trying to figure it out.

thanks guys

Last edited by lbm13186; 11-06-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get hp tuners, swap gas and retune for the race fuel in higher boost and keep that file on hand for track day.

Thats what i do vp 110 tune and a 93 oct tune
Old 11-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

They all require roughly the same amount of work to flash from one tune to the other. As far as that aspect goes, anything is fine. If you get a flex fuel ECU and sensor, you can use one tune to adjust for this on the fly.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

What 2 fuels are you thinking of running? If you are talking about pump/race gas, I can't see the need for swapping maps. I left my timing table alone and just added boost when I added race gas. If your fuel MAP is tuned properly you'll be fine. E85 is a different story.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
What 2 fuels are you thinking of running? If you are talking about pump/race gas, I can't see the need for swapping maps. I left my timing table alone and just added boost when I added race gas. If your fuel MAP is tuned properly you'll be fine. E85 is a different story.

Thats gonna depend on the gas. There is a huge difference in my fueling with vp 110 vs pump 93
Old 11-06-2015, 03:34 PM
8 Second Club

Suppose that depends on the tune. I targeted the same 11.5 I did on 91 octane as I did with 114 octane fuel. I literally dumped in 114 at the track went from 16lbs to 28ish lbs on the boost control and drove. Fuel trims didn’t do anything weird and AFR was steady. If I were class racing and wanted to lean on the tune I’m sure more power could have been had leaning it out and add timing. For a basic weekend warrior, I never bothered.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can dual chip your ecu and run two tunes that are switchable on the fly.

But I think you are more interested in max boost by gear and mph. I know there are a couple of boost controllers on the market- not sure which would do this. I am interested in what can do this as I soon will be in the market for something similar.

I will also be dual chipping an 0411 ecu for switchable tunes.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Suppose that depends on the tune. I targeted the same 11.5 I did on 91 octane as I did with 114 octane fuel. I literally dumped in 114 at the track went from 16lbs to 28ish lbs on the boost control and drove. Fuel trims didn’t do anything weird and AFR was steady. If I were class racing and wanted to lean on the tune I’m sure more power could have been had leaning it out and add timing. For a basic weekend warrior, I never bothered.
What ecm? Is there wideband correction?

I run up to 24 psi on pump gas tune. 11.5 air fuel. Straight 110 vp on same tune and boost shows 10.5-10.6.

Reason is two fold. Specific gravity of fuel is different. Stoich is way different. Therefore optimal tune is different

I suppose if you only tuned pump gas to 16 psi and rest of the ve table and boost enrichment was set for 114 gas from 16 to 28 psi, thats ok, but two problems there assuming 114 is alot different in properties like 110 is from 93. One, your fuel map on 114 up to 16 psi is gonna be off optimal. Two, if you ever accidently forget to adjust boost controller with pump gas in tank, you'll enter the 114 section of the tune and could hurt the motor. Again assuming 114 fueling is way different than pump. It may not be

If specific gravity is similar and stoich is similar then fuel curve may not need to change much
Old 11-07-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have a specific gas I was thinking about, I guess my thinking is that I could get rid of meth if I was using a higher octane for the track day. I am just a weekend warrior and so I guess the easiest thing would be keeping with pump gas and m5.

I guess my next questions would be is it even worth it to switch to a 110 or 114? I don't know how much boost ill be able to make with the F1 once I install the big FMIC and pulley down. I guess I just want to do what's best for the engine and what ever is the easiest.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

If anyone has any input I'm all ears
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
What ecm? Is there wideband correction?

I run up to 24 psi on pump gas tune. 11.5 air fuel. Straight 110 vp on same tune and boost shows 10.5-10.6.

Reason is two fold. Specific gravity of fuel is different. Stoich is way different. Therefore optimal tune is different

I suppose if you only tuned pump gas to 16 psi and rest of the ve table and boost enrichment was set for 114 gas from 16 to 28 psi, thats ok, but two problems there assuming 114 is alot different in properties like 110 is from 93. One, your fuel map on 114 up to 16 psi is gonna be off optimal. Two, if you ever accidently forget to adjust boost controller with pump gas in tank, you'll enter the 114 section of the tune and could hurt the motor. Again assuming 114 fueling is way different than pump. It may not be

If specific gravity is similar and stoich is similar then fuel curve may not need to change much
Was using the factory Buick LC2 ECU with MAF translator and a chip. AFR was within a half point steady on both fuels. All the programming was done by the chip manufacturer those days and it was a "pump gas" extender chip. I believe I used "turbo blue" fuel. I'd run the car down lowish on pump, dump in 5 gallons of "114" and race. Probably had 2-3 gallons of 91 in the mix. It was very easy, but race fuel got expensive quick.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by lbm13186
I don't have a specific gas I was thinking about, I guess my thinking is that I could get rid of meth if I was using a higher octane for the track day. I am just a weekend warrior and so I guess the easiest thing would be keeping with pump gas and m5.

I guess my next questions would be is it even worth it to switch to a 110 or 114? I don't know how much boost ill be able to make with the F1 once I install the big FMIC and pulley down. I guess I just want to do what's best for the engine and what ever is the easiest.
I'd always error on the side of more octane and watch the plugs. If you already have meth injection, I see no reason to remove it. 110 would probably be more than enough if you're not gaining a ton of boost with the pulley swap. How much methanol are you spraying? GPH?
Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

To be completely honest I don't know, I have a alky kit with one nozzle and its turn all the way to 6. when I built the engine I took it up to someone to tune and the air temps were out of control (twin intercoolers) and he suggested meth. I'm pretty new to sc and boost and trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I have a Lonnie performance system so its a twin walbro in tank system. I know I'm going to need new rails and lines also when I put more boost to it. that's kinda why I was wondering if I should even attempt to make a fuel change for track days when I do the rails and lines.

when you say watch the plugs how often do you check them and do you check certain ones or just all?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 PM
8 Second Club

You should know the volume of fluid you are injecting. To get that figure you need to know the nozzle size and system pressure. I'd call up Jose at alky control and get a real methanol kit spec'd to your needs. Sounds like you could get by with a meth kit and pump gas.

I'd start rich with low timing and read all plugs. Find the leanest looking plug. And replace that plug on that cylinder before each run until you have it dialed in. You want as little idle/cruise time on the plug as possible.

http://wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html

Quick Reply: Boosting and changing map questions