Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo gearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turbo gearing

I've been noticing that a lot of turbo guys go with a low ((numerical) gearing. Is this to get the car out of the hole without spinning or for top end or something else?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Lot of reasons/thoughts from what I understand. For example, the torque from the turbo setup doesn't require a ton of gear to get the car moving, less gear loads the turbo better, no reason to spin a ton of rpms when the engine makes it's power at lower rpms, etc. More will chime in I'm sure.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went lower because I don't have overdrive (TH400), and want it to be somewhat decent to drive on the street. I had 3.25's last go around, and have 3.0 this time. I was cutting low 1.3's without too much effort or fancy shocks/springs and on radials, so that's good enough for me.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

just gear normally.

if you go with a stupid low gear you may just be increasing converter loss at some point or really heating up your trans/converter
Old 11-18-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Load. Turbos respond to load & having too steep a rear gearing, meanin gear ratio & tire diameter, reduces load on the engine. Running a transbrake helps here but for the street it is good to have the right load to have the turbos respond quickly.

Low to mid 3's usually gets the job done with 29" & shorter rubber.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
Load. Turbos respond to load & having too steep a rear gearing, meanin gear ratio & tire diameter, reduces load on the engine. Running a transbrake helps here but for the street it is good to have the right load to have the turbos respond quickly.

Low to mid 3's usually gets the job done with 29" & shorter rubber.
What does that mean exactly? I hear it said on regular intervals and it makes no sense. If you mean that with too steep of a gear the tires will break loose and therefore the load on the engine is reduced, well then yes. At that point the throttle is not all the way open and the turbos are not spooling up because you are doing a burnout. Otherwise I don't get it. Ether way it is misleading.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go hop on a 12spd. At the same speed, turn the gearing to really low & see how easy it is to pedal. Now go the opposite direction & reduce gearing & see how hard it becomes to pedal. That is load.

The right load on the motor makes the intake pressure change & exhaust gas energy to rise quickly. As the turbo is connected to both the intake & the exhaust, the right balance of the two makes the turbine respond.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

Here's how I understand it.

On the AVG turbo setup... say you made a pass with a 4.10 gear, then a 3.10 gear. When you compared the data logs, you'd notice the engine averaged higher boost in the lower gears with the 3.10 gear.

Boost=power. You want to get into boost as quickly as possible for as long as possible in every gear. That will give the highest average power output over the run.

That doesn't mean I suggest running a super low gear. It's a balancing act. The best gear for an NA setup will not be the best choice with a turbo car. You do want to load the engine more with a turbo setup... But as with everything racing all combo's will be different. Vehicle weight, peak torque rpm, Peak power etc... all come into play.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gtfoxy
Go hop on a 12spd. At the same speed, turn the gearing to really low & see how easy it is to pedal. Now go the opposite direction & reduce gearing & see how hard it becomes to pedal. That is load.

The right load on the motor makes the intake pressure change & exhaust gas energy to rise quickly. As the turbo is connected to both the intake & the exhaust, the right balance of the two makes the turbine respond.
What you are calling load is a illustration of the fact that to maintain a certain speed or acceleration and you drop a gear or two you have to increase the torque. Lets say you have two cars one with a 4.56 rear and one with a 3.00 rear gear. Let's say they are identical and have the same engine and transmission(automatics) and are both turbo charged and are not traction limited so they have some huge slicks. Which car is going to accelerate the quickest? The one with the 4.56 gear. Now depending on the set up, the 4.56 gear car may not get to max boost in first gear but it will get to full boost as soon as the 3.00 gear car with regard to time. Maybe faster.

Last edited by gsteele; 11-18-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Here's how I understand it.

On the AVG turbo setup... say you made a pass with a 4.10 gear, then a 3.10 gear. When you compared the data logs, you'd notice the engine averaged higher boost in the lower gears with the 3.10 gear.

Boost=power. You want to get into boost as quickly as possible for as long as possible in every gear. That will give the highest average power output over the run.

That doesn't mean I suggest running a super low gear. It's a balancing act. The best gear for an NA setup will not be the best choice with a turbo car. You do want to load the engine more with a turbo setup... But as with everything racing all combo's will be different. Vehicle weight, peak torque rpm, Peak power etc... all come into play.
Which car was faster and were they traction limited?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by gsteele
What you are calling load is a illustration of the fact that to maintain a certain speed or acceleration and you drop a gear or two you have to increase the torque. Lets say you have two cars one with a 4.56 rear and one with a 3.00 rear gear. Let's say they are identical and have the same engine and transmission(automatics) and are both turbo charged and are not traction limited so they have some huge slicks. Which car is going to accelerate the quickest? The one with the 4.56 gear. Now depending on the set up, the 4.56 gear car may not get to max boost in first gear but it will get to full boost as soon as the 3.00 gear car with regard to time.
You're comparing apples and oranges with this example. A certain setup might require a 4.56 (not usually. More seen in 1/8th mile setups) and another a 3.00. Turbo setups rely on torque which is a horsepower at a lower rpm. No need to scream Roma to make power. If you see someone running a 4.10 with a turbo, first gear in the trans is typically very high (low numerically). The 4.10 is in an effort to achieve a certain finish line rpm to optimize the power of the engine. Plus, as Forcefed86 said, boost is power. So your 4.56 example of not getting to max boost in first gear is leaving you short on power. You'd basically be relying on n/a power (which is nowhere near boosted power) until the engine was being loaded.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 3 window
You're comparing apples and oranges with this example. A certain setup might require a 4.56 (not usually. More seen in 1/8th mile setups) and another a 3.00. Turbo setups rely on torque which is a horsepower at a lower rpm. No need to scream Roma to make power. If you see someone running a 4.10 with a turbo, first gear in the trans is typically very high (low numerically). The 4.10 is in an effort to achieve a certain finish line rpm to optimize the power of the engine. Plus, as Forcefed86 said, boost is power. So your 4.56 example of not getting to max boost in first gear is leaving you short on power. You'd basically be relying on n/a power (which is nowhere near boosted power) until the engine was being loaded.
So you think the 4.56 car would be slower? The point is to get down the track. Not to build boost in the lowest gear. The 4.56 car would hit full boost before the 3.0 car did.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Frankly- on top of everything mentioned above- turbo cars are simply freaking faster

Lets say you had an NA car trapping mid 160's @6800 max RPM with a TH400 and a 28 inch tall tire. You would need a lower gear to make it to the end of the track anyways.

The lower gear also allows more time in gear, which makes traction easier to come by.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first put my setup together, I still had my 4.57 gear in the 9 inch, it went 6.35@109 at the track. Only thing I changed was I switched to my 3.50 gear, and the next time out it went 6.05@115. Car achieved more boost in high gear also. Sixty foot dropped from 1.45 to 1.36. Both runs the car dead hooked and did not spin. Just wanted to add some real world results to this thread instead of a bunch of in theory.
The following users liked this post:
Woodylyf767 (04-27-2021)
Old 11-18-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
When I first put my setup together, I still had my 4.57 gear in the 9 inch, it went 6.35@109 at the track. Only thing I changed was I switched to my 3.50 gear, and the next time out it went 6.05@115. Car achieved more boost in high gear also. Sixty foot dropped from 1.45 to 1.36. Both runs the car dead hooked and did not spin. Just wanted to add some real world results to this thread instead of a bunch of in theory.
Bummer. You would have to do that. Was this with the auto or manual? Did you leave at the same boost level and what was it? What max boost did you achieve in each gear? I assume the throttle was wide open the whole time. With the 3.5 you could build boost easier off the brakes. I have never had a car with anything approaching 4.57 gears that was not traction limited. Not questioning you just explaining my experience.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by gsteele
Which car was faster and were they traction limited?
I didn’t give specific examples for a reason. All else being equal, a turbo engine will require more gearing load than an NA engine to perform its best. How much more is debatable and will differ greatly.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Just thought of something else. Do you have traction control?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
It does boil down to MPH with a given overall gearing, especially when it comes to 1/4mile. If you're running redline at 800' it is geared too low...

I appreciate your real world experience as it lends great credibility to the discussion, but I am not speaking from a theoretical basis. I have quite a bit of real world experience. I never made the mistake of running too steep of gear. I spent a lot of time hanging out with turbo Buick guys back in the 90's. One guy in particular was very knowledgable & showed me the ropes. He ran a mid-8second car back then so when he talked I listened. Then I followed his advice.

I have never ran more than 3.50 gears in a turbo set-up. My last car had 3.27's running a 29" tire. I would blink the 6200rpm pill at 1200'. & run through the traps at 130mph.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 11-18-2015 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lscamaro234 (02-01-2020)
Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

2.73s in my 8.8 LSD in my S10. Love it.. you wanna talk about insta-boost? Yea I have it..
Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3:08's Twin turbo car 26" tire and ZERO lag

Quick Reply: Turbo gearing