Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New Mid-Frame turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Mid-Frame turbo

Currently i have a PT88 going on a 370 with a Huron Speed non a/c kit. the kit is not installed yet but it will be shortly. ive been thinking about buying a better(or smaller) midframe that may spool better but be able to make 1k+.I have already went through the trouble of buying a turbo k member to run a 4" downpipe so I think im just going to stick with a turbo with a 4" turbine outlet. i was looking for some suggestions as far as size, brand, billet?, ball bearing? ect. i plan to hopefully sell the PT88 and be able to only have to spend a few hundred extra for the better turbo. what do you guys think?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you provide a little bit more information in regards to your setup?

V1 or V2 Non AC Kit?
Standard or Upgraded Intercooler?
LS3 Heads, stock castings with upgraded Spring Kit I'd assume?
LS3 Stage II Cam.... Specs??

And most important question is, why do you think that 1k rwhp is not achievable with the setup you currently have?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

V2 kit
Standard Intercooler
LS3 heads, stock casting, PRC .650 springs
227/235 | .624”/.610” | LSA115+5 cam

I think i can do it with what i have, i was more concerned with spool time. I've heard a few times that it may not spool well, around 4000rpm+ and i'm shooting for closer to 3000rpm, so i was thinking either a smaller turbo, say a pt80, or maybe something that is billet, maybe even ball bearing. its only a 370 with 9:1 compression so I was having some doubts about how well/quickly it could spool up a 88mm, it was sort of an impulse buy, bigger is better right?.... anyways.. i've seen all the hype with the BW turbos, im just a little uneducated when it comes to other brands to be looking at.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a pt8047 would be sick.. or any midframe borg s400 series with a billet wheel. When your concerned with spool time, billet wheels and ball bearing are important. Im in the same boat and bought a billet s480 1.25 ar onna 416 and it spools damn quick!! and makes 900+ whp on 18-20lbs of boost. So a 370 id say like a s475 billet with like a 1.10 ar. wont break the bank compared to the precision/garret/comp ball bearing billet turbos
If money isnt a huge issue the turbonetics mid frame turbos are also sick.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000WS6TA
V2 kit
Standard Intercooler
LS3 heads, stock casting, PRC .650 springs
227/235 | .624”/.610” | LSA115+5 cam

I think i can do it with what i have, i was more concerned with spool time. I've heard a few times that it may not spool well, around 4000rpm+ and i'm shooting for closer to 3000rpm, so i was thinking either a smaller turbo, say a pt80, or maybe something that is billet, maybe even ball bearing. its only a 370 with 9:1 compression so I was having some doubts about how well/quickly it could spool up a 88mm, it was sort of an impulse buy, bigger is better right?.... anyways.. i've seen all the hype with the BW turbos, im just a little uneducated when it comes to other brands to be looking at.
If you don't mind me asking, why on earth do you have compression that low? I assume this was intentional?

I would ditch those PRC Springs, just personal opinion, but I've replaced enough of their broken springs to know - spending the money on a better quality spring kit is well worth the money. I'd personally look at Brian Tooley and K Motion. How high do you intend on spinning the motor? What rotating assembly?

Camshaft certainly appears to look like a boost friendly, semi-aggressive cam. Is it ground on the aircraft grade steel Cam Motion 8620 core?

OEM or Dedicated EFI setup?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

the springs came on the heads when i bought them from a user on here.
And the compression was intentional, i wanted to keep it a little lower to be able to run higher boost without meth or E85, its actually closer to 9.2:1 not that it makes a huge difference. i have a few sets of 241s and 317 heads i could work if the compression really starts to be an issue. I plan to spin to about 6800, stock crank, diamond pistons, Thompson motorsports rods, arp main and head studs, standard cam core, and OEM fuel at the moment.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a PT88 on a 5.3....yours will spool fine. Are you 6 speed or auto?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
I have a PT88 on a 5.3....yours will spool fine. Are you 6 speed or auto?
6 speed
Old 01-19-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will be fine. A super low spool time and high power isn't going to help traction anyways. That 370 with those heads and that cam should easily light that PT88 off EARLY. Despite what people say they are not that laggy.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

You will be fine. A super low spool time and high power isn't going to help traction anyways. That 370 with those heads and that cam should easily light that PT88 off EARLY. Despite what people say they are not that laggy.
good to know. i asked John at LJMS what he thinks im just waiting on his response. ive changed my mind 1000 times on this build as it is so its good to know there not as laggy as people say.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

good to know. i asked John at LJMS what he thinks im just waiting on his response. ive changed my mind 1000 times on this build as it is so its good to know there not as laggy as people say.
I certainly can relate.

John is a big cathedral port head guy - and I tend to agree with his theories in regards to cathedral port and boost - hence why I'm going with a Hot Isostatic Pressing TFS 245 Cylinder Head with some BTR bowl porting on my combo this season.

I'm aiming for 8's this year with a turbo that's not much different from the one you currently have....
Old 01-19-2016, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope you guys are planning on swapping out the t56 if you want to go crazy fast in the quarter mile.....
Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Hope you guys are planning on swapping out the t56 if you want to go crazy fast in the quarter mile.....
i wouldn't say "crazy" fast but i think i could muster a 10.xx 1/4, at which point id have to call Vin Diesel because im pretty sure someone still owes him a 10 second car...

but really, that sweet blue camaro ran 8s and its the fastest GM 6speed. #lifegoals.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Manual haters make me laugh. Ray went 8.33 in the quarter with an RPM "TR-6060" which is actually a T-56 casing with TR6060 internals and modified tailshaft housing. It's essentially a TR6060 in a T-56's clothing.

Keep on thinking manuals can't hurt feelings at the track. We'll keep banging gears, hurting the arrogant people who think one must run an automatic to win a 1/4 mile race.
i wouldn't say "crazy" fast but i think i could muster a 10.xx 1/4, at which point id have to call Vin Diesel because im pretty sure someone still owes him a 10 second car...

but really, that sweet blue camaro ran 8s and its the fastest GM 6speed. #lifegoals.
Exactly. I'm running a Dominator on my M6 Trans Am - I've got all the haters mad at me already and the car isn't even running yet!

Let the haters do exactly that. Keep your eyes on your goals, and when you get her out running for testing - run on gate spring pressure only until you get a feeling for her.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You seem to be from the generational belief that saying something is incredibly difficult is being a "hater". You go ahead and do your 6 speed thing and if that's your goal, great, do your thing. Just because ONE person does something doesn't mean the combo is easy, consistent, etc.

Especially on the street, I will take the auto.

I actually HAVE a running combo so don't get too defensive.

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Manual haters make me laugh. Ray went 8.33 in the quarter with an RPM "TR-6060" which is actually a T-56 casing with TR6060 internals and modified tailshaft housing. It's essentially a TR6060 in a T-56's clothing.

Keep on thinking manuals can't hurt feelings at the track. We'll keep banging gears, hurting the arrogant people who think one must run an automatic to win a 1/4 mile race.

Exactly. I'm running a Dominator on my M6 Trans Am - I've got all the haters mad at me already and the car isn't even running yet!

Let the haters do exactly that. Keep your eyes on your goals, and when you get her out running for testing - run on gate spring pressure only until you get a feeling for her.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

You seem to be from the generational belief that saying something is incredibly difficult is being a "hater". You go ahead and do your 6 speed thing and if that's your goal, great, do your thing. Just because ONE person does something doesn't mean the combo is easy, consistent, etc.

Especially on the street, I will take the auto.

I actually HAVE a running combo so don't get too defensive.
I believe that a good driver, equipped with the right transmission (Liberty's, G-Force, etc.) can and will hurt feelings at the dragstrip.

Do you have any theories as to why Ray continues to break his own 6 speed record? The same could be said about Jared @ BTR, who continues to impress with his M6 results... I'll wait.

And I most certainly do have a running M6 combo - just not the WS6 I was referring to as it pertains to this thread.

I'll be at TK2K16, PM me if you'd like to set something up - don't forget to bring your cash though.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh boy. Typical response.

Run some of the English Racing guys they will be at the event participating. I run against a lot of them since they are local

I believe that a good driver, equipped with the right transmission (Liberty's, G-Force, etc.) can and will hurt feelings at the dragstrip.

Do you have any theories as to why Ray continues to break his own 6 speed record? The same could be said about Jared @ BTR, who continues to impress with his M6 results... I'll wait.

And I most certainly do have a running M6 combo - just not the WS6 I was referring to as it pertains to this thread.

I'll be at TK2K16, PM me if you'd like to set something up - don't forget to bring your cash though.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

not true.. for a street car spooling quick is ideal.. i make 900+whp and spool suuuper quick.. t4 s480 billet wheel onna 416, i even brake boost to 5lbs or so from a 40 roll and dont spin.. its all suspension anda good tire.. laggy street cars suck.

I do agree with a 370 will spool a pt88 up nicely, but theres better turbos out there to fit his needs and goals
Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

not hatin, but compare 99% of 1k plus hp cars at the track, and they will all run faster with an auto..... not saying manual dont work, but auto swap and theres atleast another tenth.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 PM
FormerVendor

Reducing the inducer of the compressor wheel from 88 to 80... Would probably gain you nothing in spool response... because those 2 turbos are identical otherwise..

Put the PT88 on the car... be happy with it spooling about 3k rpm once you get it worked out... and be happy with it making 900 to the tire...

You're goals are all over the place... you say you want 1k to the tire... then you'd be happy with 10's...

You should be happy with it making 750 and running mid 9's.

Quick Reply: New Mid-Frame turbo