Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 blew pcv piece out drivers side valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 5.3 blew pcv piece out drivers side valve cover

5.3 freshened up small on3 88mm got it running took it out for first test drive then it pushed the pcv valve out the valve cover grommet I had this setup on a different motor before and I am pretty sure I hooked it all back up the same while I'm waiting on a new 4th gen catch can from MIGHTY MOUSE but I just wanted to drive it it was a nice day does this strike anyone as a big issue it also blew my connection off at the intercooler but that could have been my fault if it wasn't 100% tight but I did check exerything over before driving just wondering what might have caused it or if it's something that is a major issue
Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its got crank case pressure... had to go somewhere and the line you have can't provide enough flow.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts

You also need to install a check valve in the PCV line before the oil air separator. You don't want to pressurize the separator or the engine crank case. I use a valve from mastercarr and its like $15 or something. The valve shuts boost/pressure going back to the separator from the intake so you can't pressurize the crankcase. But when vacuum is present it opens the one way valve which has a low cracking pressure of like .3psi/hgin and allow crank case to be sucked back into the intake, fresh air will be drawn in from the other valve cover opening (vented to atmospher with filter). The other valve cover needs to be vented to atmosphere with a filter on it (either catch can or filter before the turbo/supercharger compresses it). This will keep filtered air being sucked through the motor when the PCV system is working in vacuum and will push any crank case pressure out to atmosphere keeping the crank case pressure in check.

Since there is a possibility of oil vapor to get pushed out under boost i recommend a catch can with a filter to catch oil vs plumbing into fresh air infront of the turbo/SC so you don't push oil and make a mess.

Last edited by customblackbird; 02-11-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
You also need to install a check valve in the PCV line before the oil air separator. You don't want to pressurize the separator or the engine crank case. I use a valve from mastercarr and its like $15 or something. The valve shuts boost/pressure going back to the separator from the intake so you can't pressurize the crankcase. But when vacuum is present it opens the one way valve which has a low cracking pressure of like 1-2psi/hgin and allow crank case to be sucked back into the intake, fresh air will be drawn in from the other valve cover opening (vented to atmospher with filter). The other valve cover needs to be vented to atmosphere with a filter on it (either catch can or filter before the turbo/supercharger compresses it). This will keep filtered air being sucked through the motor when the PCV system is working in vacuum and will push any crank case pressure out to atmosphere keeping the crank case pressure in check.

Since there is a possibility of oil vapor to get pushed out under boost i recommend a catch can with a filter to catch oil vs plumbing into fresh air infront of the turbo/SC so you don't push oil and make a mess.
Could you post a part #? Also where you installed it?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7775k12/=112wixu

Its .3psi cracking pressure. U need 1/4"NPT to nipple fittings (get them anywhere).

I attached mine right to my Moroso oil/air seperator, Driver valve cover PCV valve with 3/8" fuel hose to inlet of moroso air/oil seperator, check valve threaded into the oulet of the seperator, 3/8" fuel hose connected to the original port at the top of the intake or the PCV valve.

I have mine mounted right above my hydroboost. You can see it in my pic here (long brass fittings below firewall cowl above hydroboost where the brake booster would be).
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 blew pcv piece out drivers side valve cover-img_1118.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7775k12/=112wixu

Its .3psi cracking pressure. U need 1/4"NPT to nipple fittings (get them anywhere).

I attached mine right to my Moroso oil/air seperator, Driver valve cover PCV valve with 3/8" fuel hose to inlet of moroso air/oil seperator, check valve threaded into the oulet of the seperator, 3/8" fuel hose connected to the original port at the top of the intake or the PCV valve.

I have mine mounted right above my hydroboost. You can see it in my pic here (long brass fittings below firewall cowl above hydroboost where the brake booster would be).
Thanks for the in for and the part numbers I'll get one and try it but now I fear my problems are worse it went from 40psi to 20psi oil pressure it held 40 great then drive it now it sits at 20 all the time maybe up to 25 if I rev it up some
Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

hmm. the build up of pressure is high enough to push the PCV valve out imagine what it did to all your gaskets etc. I'm surprised you didn't push one out and cause an oil leak. Hopefully you didn't destroy anything.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

hmm. the build up of pressure is high enough to push the PCV valve out imagine what it did to all your gaskets etc. I'm surprised you didn't push one out and cause an oil leak. Hopefully you didn't destroy anything.
My thinking exactly but so far this is my first motor I didn't have at least one tiny leak somewhere in the first few days of running from oil gas radiator water pump etc I was happy everything sealed good the first time without needing to check bolts and fittings so I'm hoping I didn't do severe damage like I said tho oil pressure is down to 20. I'll have to see what becomes of it
Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

maybe oil pump gasket blew or torn? perhaps on the pickup.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

maybe oil pump gasket blew or torn? perhaps on the pickup.
It's worth checking thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: 5.3 blew pcv piece out drivers side valve cover