Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo build gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turbo build gauges?

I'm almost done with all the parts, just looking into what gauges to get now. Read other threads from years ago but since new things are out I figured I would ask now what everyone is running. Wideband, boost gauge, fuel pressure, and controller are the main 4 I'm looking at. Would like to know if there is a boost gauge that people like that is ALSO a boost controller out there to make it a 3 gauge setup though. Also thought about egt gauge but not sure if anyone bothers with it.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Actually I'll probably do boost gauge/controller, egt, and wideband
Old 03-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The wideband is a given, and needs to go well behind the turbo in the downpipe, about 3 or 4 feet away from the turbine. When they get too hot, they do not read correctly.

Boost gauge is only necessary if you do not have a boost controller or other device to look at which also stores peak boost feature, like a profec B Spec-II (my favorite cheap controller for $150~) This can help save space, and it has a warning/alarm for overboost which is better than a gauge (you might not be looking at the gauge when it happens)

EGT is a great idea, get it in the manifold if you can. Use a high quality probe, Autometer or something, dont get cheap with that part.

Oil pressure is also a given if you have an expensive engine without a pressure light/safety. It also helps you determine when the engine is warmed up (never run an engine hard when the oil is still thick from being cold, especially an OEM engine with tight bearings).

And that is all I run, EGT WB OIL with boost controller for boost peak, and a laptop which of course records coolant/maf/map everything else (tune it yourself)
Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Wideband def, boost gauge I want instead of the profec b because of space savings, that's all compared to that, and I figured egt for tuning help. Oil pressure I'm not too worried about since 98's are more accurate on the oil pressure reading & I am running a oil less turbo anyways so no extra oil going to the turbo.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm loving my PLX gauges. I have the SM-AFR with Bosch wide band, and their SM-Boost/Vac. Their gauges are multi function when you daisy chain their sensor modules together (switch between readings with the multi touch function.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Thinking of getting a Innovate Motorsports SCG-1 Gauge. Has wideband, boost gauge, and controller all in 1. Plus wideband and boost is on same screen. Would anyone recommend a egt or is this one gauge all I need?
Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a good accurate wide band, the EGT is a "nice to have" I think where the EGT shines is stepping up to 8 channel EGT where you can see what each CYL EGT is. but for your scenario, AFR, fuel pressure, boost gauge

also if you run meth, make SURE you check the tank level. I have a fancy rear mount tank but no gauge on it, so I get the habit of filling it up when used and draining it when not.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just been running my Eboost 2 for boost and controller readout. Have my NGK AFX I drop in occasionally when I tune but that anymore is seldom. Didn't want to do a pillar mount really and just pulled the middle vent on my TA. May have to ditch the Eboost though and get that Innovate SCG-1, looks pretty slick. Would be nice to have a wideband readout all the time though it never seems to vary much in my setup. Usually dial it in and leave it.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

So is EGT worth it? Or is it kinda pointless if I have wideband and all that?
Old 03-08-2016, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't say it's super worth it. You see them on diesels usually but I can't think of a time I have seen one on something street driven. Not saying it should be totally ignored, but with something for the street I don't think it would be worthwhile imo.

Quick Reply: Turbo build gauges?