Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo 93 LS Notch

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 765 Likes on 562 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Bit the bullet on an AC/DC TIG welder finally. Pretty excited to test this thing out. Went on sale for $499 recently. I Made a $450 offer and they took it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIG-Stick-Sq...IAAOSw~gRVhK2B
Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If more street oriented, why not an overdrive trans?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the build and thanks for all the info. Let us know how that welder works out.

^^I'm sure he's not going o/d because of the tight budget?
Old 04-27-2016, 03:18 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BOOSTAT4500
If more street oriented, why not an overdrive trans?
Trans control, packaging, extra weight, more expensive parts, more expensive converter… etc. OD trans just aren’t worth it IMO. A typical turbo V8 of any kind can pull a tall enough gear/tire that it’s not needed. OD is a luxury I can afford to give up. With a 2.73 gear and 27” tire I’ll be able to cruise about 65 at 2200 rpm. That’s more than good enough for my needs.
The following users liked this post:
Taw_Thruat (11-11-2020)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Trans control, packaging, extra weight, more expensive parts, more expensive converter… etc. OD trans just aren’t worth it IMO. A typical turbo V8 of any kind can pull a tall enough gear/tire that it’s not needed. OD is a luxury I can afford to give up. With a 2.73 gear and 27” tire I’ll be able to cruise about 65 at 2200 rpm. That’s more than good enough for my needs.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000 I get told my car isnt a street car since it has a glide almost monthly. sigh. my 70mph cruise is about 2400
Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, makes sense. Didn't realize you were going to run such a tall gear. They are definitely heavier, the 80e in my hatch is almost 190 lbs. dry, with no converter. I was pretty surprised when we weighed it.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Any details on clearance on that oil pan with the AJE Kmember? Looks pretty good.

I like your style with the car but i may be a bit biased haha

Im using the AEM380 pump too. So far its working good but i haven't gone WOT with it yet. Just started the tuning
Old 04-28-2016, 07:55 AM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Hope to test fit engine/trans this weekend. I’ll take measurements then.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Hope to test fit engine/trans this weekend. I’ll take measurements then.
Awesome man! I know you are a seasoned swapper but let me know if you have any questions since our builds are pretty similar!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 AM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Now that you mention it I’m a little lost on Rear brakes? There are so many options it makes my head spin and this is my first foxbody.

I have an 8.8 with drum brakes and 4 lug axles. I’d like Disc’s in back strictly for the purpose of holding the axles in in the event of a failure. Looking to get by as cheaply as possible, I don’t care much about the stopping power of the rear brakes or going to a 5 lug pattern. What is the easiest route here?

Should I upgrade axles? This car will have a small tire and power will be ramped in progressively with traction/boost control. So I’m not 100% sure I need axles. Can I slide a 28 spline aftermarket axle into the OEM LSD without difficulty? Is this even worth the trouble? Or is something like a mini spool (of full spool I don’t care) with a 31 spline axle preferred?

Again just looking for the cheapest route to get the car up and going without the fear of an axle/wheel assy flying off the car.

I was looking at this bracket for $125

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=137

It also looks like you can get a 92-02 mustang gt brake brackets and cut them?

http://www.mypowerblock.com/group/fo...ake-conversion

…I’m lost.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Now that you mention it I’m a little lost on Rear brakes? There are so many options it makes my head spin and this is my first foxbody.

I have an 8.8 with drum brakes and 4 lug axles. I’d like Disc’s in back strictly for the purpose of holding the axles in in the event of a failure. Looking to get by as cheaply as possible, I don’t care much about the stopping power of the rear brakes or going to a 5 lug pattern. What is the easiest route here?

Should I upgrade axles? This car will have a small tire and power will be ramped in progressively with traction/boost control. So I’m not 100% sure I need axles. Can I slide a 28 spline aftermarket axle into the OEM LSD without difficulty? Is this even worth the trouble? Or is something like a mini spool (of full spool I don’t care) with a 31 spline axle preferred?

Again just looking for the cheapest route to get the car up and going without the fear of an axle/wheel assy flying off the car.

I was looking at this bracket for $125

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=137

…I’m lost.
Oddly enough that is going to be my next thing I upgrade on mine haha I'm running stock 8.8 with drums and 4 lug. For a quick slight upgrade you could get some 28 spline (stock spline) axles from an aftermarket company. They claim to be slightly stronger. I think you can swap brakes over from a Turbo Coupe and I believe they are 5 lug and disc! Could probably find that stuff at a junk yard.

Another option to hold the axles is a C Clip Eliminator. Arent too expensive and can be used with stock axles and drums.

http://www.moserengineering.com/othe...ody-fords.html
Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FrossB
Oddly enough that is going to be my next thing I upgrade on mine haha I'm running stock 8.8 with drums and 4 lug. For a quick slight upgrade you could get some 28 spline (stock spline) axles from an aftermarket company. They claim to be slightly stronger. I think you can swap brakes over from a Turbo Coupe and I believe they are 5 lug and disc! Could probably find that stuff at a junk yard.

Another option to hold the axles is a C Clip Eliminator. Arent too expensive and can be used with stock axles and drums.

http://www.moserengineering.com/othe...ody-fords.html
Turbo coupe's are 4 lug and disc.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by krazy4
Turbo coupe's are 4 lug and disc.
My bad. That is correct.

The cobra's are 5 lug. Guess I just mixed those together.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

For ease of install and resale I like the discs over the C-clip eliminators. Some of the mini spools are dirt cheap on ebay (like $65?) and are available in 31 spline. Theres actually a set of 4 lug 31 spline axles on my local Craigslist for $180 (w c-clips). Is that a good deal? Should I just grab them?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Used?

They have the C Clip Elims with them?

If they are new that is a really good deal. Considering the axles are 220-300 depending on brand. If no Elims are included and they are used then I would just spend the extra 40 for new axles personally.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I went with a 5-lug 3.27 rear on mine, came with disc brakes already. Whole rear was ~100.00. Then installed the 31 spline cobra diff for like 280.00, and a set of moser axles. But I did weld on 9" ends for retention. Unfortunately you need a jig for that.

I just don't think the discs will hold the axle in effectively...b/c the caliper is so far from the centerline of the axle, I think an axle will be able to push the caliper/rotor out of the way. Better than nothing I guess. I think I like the eliminators better here.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:56 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

No the axles have the provisions for c-clips on them, not the actual eliminators. Found another 4 lug 31 spline set just like this for $144 shipped on ebay. Suppose if I’m going with 31 spline I’ll get the CCE deals and a full spool, then just keep the drums to save a little money. Still gonna cost around $500. What a pain…

I’ve never seen an axle evacuate the rear with disc brakes and I’ve seen a ton of axles break. Not a lot outward force to push them out past the disc brake bracket I’d guess.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I have a 8.8 fox housing with the ends cut off and I have a complete 8.8 from an Explorer with drum brakes and 5 lug axles. When the time comes to build the rear for my car, I was going to take the internals from the Explorer rear and cut the ends off and have them welded to my foxbody 8.8 and run explorer rear drum brakes with a set of c-clip eliminators if possibly. Is my idea unheard of? I have less than $200 in both the complete Explorer 8.8 and the bare Foxbody 8.8.

Just like Forcefed86 I am trying to put my entire car together for as little as possible, but have a fun reliable car that is still clean even though I didn't sink a ton into it.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

…I’m lost.
I would switch to 31-spline Fox body length axles. If you follow the last link you posted they will fit just fine. And it's 1994-04 rear disc brakes that you'd need. You just cut the bracket as shown in the link and place it on the back side of the 8.8 flange (94 and up have longer axles). I wouldn't mess with a track loc or any LSD. I put a Spartan locker in my LTD it was like $250 I believe and way better than any LSD. Or just go spool (only problem with a full spool is you have to use C-Clip elims). Hope this helps and let me know if you need/want anymore info.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

…I’m lost.
I am not a Fox body guy at all, but over the years I heard as a super cheap 5 lug swap that the axles from a Ranger interchange. They said one axle is the same length and one is longer so you have to get 2 same length axles from 2 different rear ends, but it supposedly works and they are the typical 5X4.5 bolt pattern.

As far as the rear brakes I heard a lot of people saying the rear discs work off a Lincoln/Grand Marqius/Crown Vic????

Again, I never tried any of this stuff myself but it may be worth researching if you can save a buck.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo 93 LS Notch