Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Over boosting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over boosting problems

Hey guys, need some help. Just got home from cruising around and doing some pulls. I'll start out with the basics. It's a 2000 Camaro SS, 100% stock LS1, even valve spring. On wastegate alone it makes right at 8psi. I recently installed a Turbosmart in cabin boost controller. Seemed to work great at first After installing it, I removed the exhaust and I'm running an open down pipe. Today, with 5 clicks in it it shot up to 15-16psi. I turned it all the way down and did another pull. 14psi, and after shifting into 4th gear (6 speed), boost dropped to like 4psi and slowly tried to build back up, very slowly. Also, at part throttle, say going up a hill with a bit of a load, when the turbo spools, instead of smoothly spooling up, it has a bit of a flutter/stutter noise as it spools, and if you are in a high gear at a low rpm and speed, the car will start to shake pretty violently. Going to take a look at all the vacuum hoses and boost controller plumbing tomorrow, anything else I should look for? Also, it has a 38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate and a turbonetics T76 (7668) turbo, could wastegate be too small? Thanks in advance, Logan
Old 06-20-2016, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pistons

Check your pistons
Old 06-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

After my luck with boost controllers, I just change wastegate springs to keep it where I want it...
Old 06-21-2016, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

put it on a gold box and be done with it.

BUt seriously, it sounds like maybe the ball and spring arent moving free in the boost controller. Put the bottom port of the gate straight to a pressure source (remove controller) and see if your system has issues or its just the BC
Old 06-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dburt86
put it on a gold box and be done with it.

BUt seriously, it sounds like maybe the ball and spring arent moving free in the boost controller. Put the bottom port of the gate straight to a pressure source (remove controller) and see if your system has issues or its just the BC
Do you think it would be worth just removing the ball and spring?
Old 06-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Update: I removed boost controller and it now makes 10psi, but the gauge is still fluttering and I can here the turbo flutter as it spools, and is still shaking the car in higher gears at low rpm
Old 06-25-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running the same controller. With a 50mm On3 wastegate I can control my boost at whatever settings I want, until I open the cutout. After the cutout is open I will hit my target boost and as the RPM's climb it will spike similar to what yours is doing from the sounds of it. Try capping off the exhaust and see what happens. Friend had the same issue even running the springs with a similar size wastegate, what it comes down to I believe is the waste gate's aren't in optimal locations to control boost when the exhaust is opened up.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rawr256
I'm running the same controller. With a 50mm On3 wastegate I can control my boost at whatever settings I want, until I open the cutout. After the cutout is open I will hit my target boost and as the RPM's climb it will spike similar to what yours is doing from the sounds of it. Try capping off the exhaust and see what happens. Friend had the same issue even running the springs with a similar size wastegate, what it comes down to I believe is the waste gate's aren't in optimal locations to control boost when the exhaust is opened up.
Thanks for the reply, I have an open down pipe right now so I'm kind of screwed as far as that goes. But even out of boost it is acting up, it developed an exhaust leak so I'm going to check that out and see if it helps

Quick Reply: Over boosting problems