Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Radiator fan for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator fan for turbo

I didnt exactly know where to put this thread. Has anyone utilized their stock radiator fans as pusher fans with a stand up radiator/turbo setup? I dont know if its a stupid idea or even possible but I was thinking would it be possible to take the fans off and put them on backwards to make them pushers as opposed to puller fans? Right now i have twin derale fans but I lost trust in them last summer on of course the hottest day where I probably shouldnt have even had my car out, the connectors from the ractronix harness to the fans melted and my fans wouldnt work and I was overheating. Those fans draw a ton of current. Plus they are very, very loud. Id love to put quieter more reliable fans (aka stock) back in my car. Just dont know if its possible. Also after storing them for 3 years I threw them out and then my harness melted so Id have to track down some new used ones or buy aftermarket ones. I saw that Rockauto sells just the fan itself which kinda gave me the idea of taking them off and turning them around. Any input?
Old 04-26-2024, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 506 Likes on 392 Posts

Guys have done it and said it works okay, if you're in a hot climate or on the edge of keeping cool I wouldn't.
I ran Derale fans on my last car and had similar issues melting stuff.
If you oversize the wiring, use large connectors and self-resetting circuit breakers instead of fuses they work very well.
The cheap China fuses they come with don't hold up to the amp spikes when they turn on.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't know what kind of car you have, but the problem with pushers is they need to be powerful enough to blow thru the radiator, where the weaker ones cant, something about static pressures and all that stuff, as it was explained to me. Years ago I had a blown BB in an El Camino, didn't have room for pullers, so I went with two Spal fans, they were the only ones strong enough to work. If you burned up the wiring you either had a bad gnd or needed upgraded relays and wiring. It def gets hot under the hood, really tests the reliability of elect. components.
The following users liked this post:
The BallSS (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I don't know what kind of car you have, but the problem with pushers is they need to be powerful enough to blow thru the radiator, where the weaker ones cant, something about static pressures and all that stuff, as it was explained to me. Years ago I had a blown BB in an El Camino, didn't have room for pullers, so I went with two Spal fans, they were the only ones strong enough to work. If you burned up the wiring you either had a bad gnd or needed upgraded relays and wiring. It def gets hot under the hood, really tests the reliability of elect. components.
Totally agree, once I upgraded the wiring and controls, the Derale fans were rock solid for years.
My car would get a little warm in the summer (190-200 degrees) if the AC was running but I usually had the T-tops out, so I didn't use the AC too often.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
Guys have done it and said it works okay, if you're in a hot climate or on the edge of keeping cool I wouldn't.
I ran Derale fans on my last car and had similar issues melting stuff.
If you oversize the wiring, use large connectors and self-resetting circuit breakers instead of fuses they work very well.
The cheap China fuses they come with don't hold up to the amp spikes when they turn on.
I ran 2 of the Derale 12" pushers on my car with upgraded wiring and auto reset breakers and I had both die within 10 minutes of each other. They maybe got 6 months of run time. Garbage at best. Bought a sweet 16" flex-a-lite pusher good for 3000 cfm. Fkn mint now
Old 05-02-2024, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
I ran 2 of the Derale 12" pushers on my car with upgraded wiring and auto reset breakers and I had both die within 10 minutes of each other. They maybe got 6 months of run time. Garbage at best. Bought a sweet 16" flex-a-lite pusher good for 3000 cfm. Fkn mint now
P/N for the Flex-a-Lite fan?
Old 05-02-2024, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the ******
p/n for the flex-a-lite fan?
The BallSS (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 01:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 702 Likes on 517 Posts

the "Syclone" Flexalite fans are work horses. Much better than their standard lineup in my experience.

https://flex-a-lite.com/16-inch-sycl...ctric-fan.html
The BallSS (05-02-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I used the stupid little thru radiator ties that came with my fan and they did work for however long they did, but still a huge mistake trusting those things.

Last Saturday night they decided to wiggle free destroying the fan and taking out the radiator at the same time. Just managed to get the car back to safety. No engine damage thankfully.

New radiator and fan will be here Monday and I'll weld some tabs on the rad to mount the fan more securely
Attached Thumbnails Radiator fan for turbo-pxl_20240505_030540681.jpg   Radiator fan for turbo-pxl_20240505_030546333.jpg   Radiator fan for turbo-pxl_20240505_030736446.jpg   Radiator fan for turbo-pxl_20240505_030745884.jpg   Radiator fan for turbo-pxl_20240505_030557621.jpg  

Radiator fan for turbo-pxl_20240505_030605391.jpg  
Old 05-09-2024, 06:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 484 Likes on 388 Posts

Well that sucks. I bought some of those to mount whatever fan I end up getting, and I guess I'm going to be finding a different way to mount it.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Well that sucks. I bought some of those to mount whatever fan I end up getting, and I guess I'm going to be finding a different way to mount it.
Yep total bummer. I'd definitely find a different way of mounting never trust those little ties
Old 05-09-2024, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I used the stupid little thru radiator ties that came with my fan and they did work for however long they did, but still a huge mistake trusting those things.

Last Saturday night they decided to wiggle free destroying the fan and taking out the radiator at the same time. Just managed to get the car back to safety. No engine damage thankfully.

New radiator and fan will be here Monday and I'll weld some tabs on the rad to mount the fan more securely
That sucks but I've never had an issue with these types of mounts.
If you buy the good ones with springs, they tend to provide a little movement for when the radiator expands and contracts keeping the straps from breaking.
Welding on tabs of course is ideal but not everyone has that option.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

That sucks but I've never had an issue with these types of mounts.
If you buy the good ones with springs, they tend to provide a little movement for when the radiator expands and contracts keeping the straps from breaking.
Welding on tabs of course is ideal but not everyone has that option.
Yea I never had a problem with them before. Maybe I just had them on too tight?? Is that a thing?? Either way I'll be bolting the new fan to the new radiator when it gets here Monday. That 16" Flex a lite fan fits the Griffin radiator top to bottom perfectly so I can easily bolt it on
The BallSS (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I never had a problem with them before. Maybe I just had them on too tight?? Is that a thing?? Either way I'll be bolting the new fan to the new radiator when it gets here Monday. That 16" Flex a lite fan fits the Griffin radiator top to bottom perfectly so I can easily bolt it on
I've had them too tight myself, I didn't put the foam inserts or springs in, and the straps broke, my assumption is it was from the core expanding and contracting.
It didn't damage the radiator fortunately, but the fan was hanging down.
Since I've started using the foam inserts and springs, I haven't had a problem but if you can do mounts then that is of course the best way to go.
I'd also consider adding a second fan to cover as much of the radiator as possible.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

I've had them too tight myself, I didn't put the foam inserts or springs in, and the straps broke, my assumption is it was from the core expanding and contracting.
It didn't damage the radiator fortunately, but the fan was hanging down.
Since I've started using the foam inserts and springs, I haven't had a problem but if you can do mounts then that is of course the best way to go.
I'd also consider adding a second fan to cover as much of the radiator as possible.
I must have had them too tight. And with the fan it covers just over 70% of the core. But I didn't mount it on center I had it mounted more towards the upper inlet side of the radiator
Old 05-09-2024, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

I must have had them too tight. And with the fan it covers just over 70% of the core. But I didn't mount it on center I had it mounted more towards the upper inlet side of the radiator
I'm of the frame of mind that I'd rather have too much cooling than not enough, if you're still using the factory ECM you can use the factory wiring to activate the relays and still have individual fan function.
I did that on my last car and it worked very well.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'm of the frame of mind that I'd rather have too much cooling than not enough, if you're still using the factory ECM you can use the factory wiring to activate the relays and still have individual fan function.
I did that on my last car and it worked very well.
I run a Holley Dominator. I'll see how this goes and if I need more I'll get another one installed. I agree with the can never have too much cooling frame of mind
Old 05-09-2024, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well and the plus is you're up in my neck of the woods region wise and fortunately it doesn't get very hot here.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Well and the plus is you're up in my neck of the woods region wise and fortunately it doesn't get very hot here.
Oh yea?? Where abouts you from??
Old 05-10-2024, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Oh yea?? Where abouts you from??
Tacoma (Tacompton lol) Washington so just south of you.
In fact, I may be running up to Surrey next week.

Quick Reply: Radiator fan for turbo