Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC went to the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking FMIC went to the track

Well after a day of thrashing on the car to replace a belt and put the mechancial boost gauge on it was time

But first let me say, FMIC This besides the SDCE set up has been the best thing I've done to the car.

I was only able to do one full pass, will get to that later.

Boost, @16psi could have been a lil more, but had to get the eyes back on the track, definately not less.

I bested my best 1/8mi time ever 7.300, I almost beat my best 1/4 mi time too 11.44, compared to a 11.36. I ran my best pass in the cold november air with the november pass having a better 60ft too, 1.62 to a 1.66 yesterday. This run was right off the highway, no cooldown other than letting air out of the tires(18psi)

Now for the details of the pass, car smacked the 1-2 shift hard, and the 2-3 shift just wasn't happening until past the 1/8 and the car slowed, then it shifted into 3rd??? Guess the tranny is reallllllly on its way out. But **** did it go when it went into third I let off before the traps to get the car back in the center.....was looking at the boost gauge A/F for the pass was 11.1 almost the whole way

IAT's fuggetaboutit, the tech wouldn't allow the Laptop to be in the car unless it was mounted or strapped down But after the pass the FMIC was still very cool on the outlet side and warm, like how your arm feels right now warm, on the inlet side.

During the pass, I smelled the sweet dreaded smell of coolant so I was fearing getting back to the pits. Thoughts of lifted heads were dancing around on the drive back. When I got there we found it to be the damn GM clamp on the radiator hose that connects to the waterpump was letting coolant shoot out on to the front of the block and waterpump. So we tried to fix it with wire ties(only things we could scrounge up) but on the second pass it dumped more coolant out and the car was all over the place from the get go and shut it down early, no need killing myself with a coolant hose popping off on the topend or other racers.

So I feel it was a great success already. The boost I saw before the FMIC was 12psi, going off the FP gauge(not the damn digital boost gauges) but this wasn't on a full out WOT pass like I did last night. I really can see a gain of 4psi going to this FMIC/3 inch pipe combo over the tiny ATI twins, and cheap radiator hose IC pipes being 2.5 inches. I am very happy and feel that I will break into the 10's this summer and not this winter, just got to chip away from here on out.

On a side note, my rollbar passed inspection and I now have a shiny tech sticker on it, and can make 11 sec passes all day long with no worries about being booted or screamed at lol.
J
Old 08-07-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4psi increase from just a FMIC swap!!! Did u ever dyno the car before and after? Also what did the car trap before and after the FMIC?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would like to think so, never had an accurate reading on the boost gauge, since all the digital boost gauges were junk. If you look at the FMIC and IC pipes that replaced the ATI twin intercoolers and piping you would really see why it was a restriction.
Before it was trapping at 116-7mph. Didn't keep my foot in it to see what it would have been last night(let off before the traps due to me trying to pay attention to the boost gauge )If my damn track gave MPH numbers for the 1/8 I could tell you if it gained up top. Haven't dyno'ed yet, going to the track is cheaper, but will when money comes up.
This was only one so so pass, I hope to be heading back out tonight for some more.
DA for last night was 8229ft lol.
J
Old 08-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

I think those are pretty good results for the first time out. Get that thing all settled down and you are in the 10's easy. You're knocking on the door of a cold weather pass in the middle of the summer. Too cool.

I'm hoping to get your old setup on in the next few weeks. Just waiting on parts now. I've been looking the ATI twin IC setup and I can can easily see why people are going to FMIC. There must be 8 or 10 elbows and transitions on the setup. Probably 6-10% flow loss in the piping alone. And the air box (or whatever it is) isn't helping things when flow gets going. The outlet has no smooth transition and it is oval. Both are hindering flow and incurring pressure losses. And flow restrictions increase with the square of air velocity so the faster you move air the more losses you incur. I also did a pretty simple calculation on the twin intercooler sizing and IMO it is pretty undersized for the 5.7. The turbulators are high density as well so that is where a lot of boost losses are going as well. I'm actually surprised people can get the results they do with it.

Anyway, good to hear the car is back at the track, and moving in the right direction. You'll have the fastest LS1 in NM pretty soon. Keep us posted.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

congrats!!

Can you post the details of your pass in the format below? (I find it hard to read exactly what happened in your post.

60'
1/8th ET
1/8thmph
1/4 ET
1/4 mph

Old 08-07-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

1.66 60ft
1/8mph, track doesn't list that
113 let off.
J
Old 08-07-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awsome news........ I cant wait to put mine in.
Kyle
Old 08-07-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

NICE!

I wonder what kind of boost I'll see with the 3.4" pulley and the F1.......

Jer, are you planning on keeping that 3.7", I might be interested in it
Old 08-07-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

congrats, glad everything worked out for ya
ed
Old 08-08-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

good job!
Old 08-08-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks MightyMouse
69firebird, me too, time to enjoy the car now, no more modding
Bos, nope it's shelved with no hopes of making a come back, unless you want it, shoot me a PM
Kyle, got anymore pics for me? I want to see that blingin FMIC up already
Hellonwheelz, Hi Dennis
You'll have the fastest LS1 in NM pretty soon. Keep us posted.
No offense to Sean, cuz he's a great guy in my book, but I do have the fastest LS1 in NM. No one comes close f-body or vette. I was the first LS1 f-body in the 13's,12's,11's and I will try damn hard to be the first in the 10's.
J
Old 08-08-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll probably end up trading kyle for his 3.7".....

I don't think I'll need my 3.4" with the 5.0 stepup
Old 08-08-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say 10's are on the way to you J, do you ever think you will max that D-1?
Old 08-08-2004, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Thanks MightyMouse
69firebird, me too, time to enjoy the car now, no more modding
Bos, nope it's shelved with no hopes of making a come back, unless you want it, shoot me a PM
Kyle, got anymore pics for me? I want to see that blingin FMIC up already
Hellonwheelz, Hi Dennis
No offense to Sean, cuz he's a great guy in my book, but I do have the fastest LS1 in NM. No one comes close f-body or vette. I was the first LS1 f-body in the 13's,12's,11's and I will try damn hard to be the first in the 10's.
J
Congrats on the time Jeremy. We know that carwill see 10's real soon. Fastest F-body??. Well for now. You can be the fastest LS1, and I'll be the Fastest LT1. Just remember, once your on top, everyone is shooting for you, including me. Let's just bolt on my slicks and see a ten second pass already. I'm getting sick of you running low 11's.

Neal
Old 08-08-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can live with that Neal Like I said, once 10's happen I don't care who else gets it, I'm done, I know you'll get it with ease once you bring that set up to the track. I hope we can do it this coming friday. Bring the slicks to the house and we can see how well they fit on her I'm getting sick of not being able to keep my foot in it past the traps, gotta get used to driving this thing again

Brandon, Probably not at this altitude, the D1-SC is plenty of blower for me. I would like to go F1 just to do it, but that is $$ I don't have.
J
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its money you have if you sell your kit
Old 08-09-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

If your looking for a new trans I would definitly give FLP a call.

Quick Reply: FMIC went to the track