Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler

Is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler for a supercharger setup. Will too large of an intercooler simply delay boost build up? Is there a general rule to determine the right intercooler or a formula?
Old 06-15-2002, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler

I think the issues are ground clearance and finding somewhere to fit the intercoolers. It's mostly about space. I'm sure more & bigger is better otherwise.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by AndrewB:
<strong>Is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler for a supercharger setup. Will too large of an intercooler simply delay boost build up? Is there a general rule to determine the right intercooler or a formula?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What kind of vehichle are you asking for. I have heard an expert say on most vehichles, you will run out of room before you can get "TOO BIG"
on most vehichles. I have a 4th gen fbody, and i am willing to bet 4th gen fbodies are among the car the cars he was talking about.

I know someone who has a "Sanford and Son" truck, and he stands in the engine bay to work on it. LOL (seriously) but for the average fbody,vette, mustang, viper you will proabably run out of room before you could get "too big" even if there is a such thing.

<small>[ June 15, 2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Rpm2800 ]</small>
Old 06-15-2002, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There can be a pressure drop across too large or a poorly designed intercooler.

Corky Bell's book Maximum Boost got into Intercooler sizing and design, well worth reading.

<small>[ June 15, 2002, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: NoOne ]</small>
Old 06-16-2002, 12:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Assuming the larger intercooler actually cools more, I don't see how that would delay boost.

What that does is lower inlet air temp (that was heated up by the blower), thus making a more effective fuel mixture. This actually decreases need for pulling more timing out. It also makes less boost more effective.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I guess I'll start with a single intercooler and see what the cooling numbers are then move to a dual setup if I think I can get more cooling.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the more volume you have to fill between the inlet and exit, the longer it will take to reach the inlet psi throughout.

like filling a glass with water, it wont overflow untill it gets to the top, no matter how large the glass is..

the bigger the glass, the longer ti will take to fill at any rate.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MIGHTYMOUSE:
<strong>the more volume you have to fill between the inlet and exit, the longer it will take to reach the inlet psi throughout.

like filling a glass with water, it wont overflow untill it gets to the top, no matter how large the glass is..

the bigger the glass, the longer ti will take to fill at any rate.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right. Since air compresses, when one pushes air in one end of the intercooler and pipes, one has to fill the volume first at a given pressure, before anything effectively comes out the other end. That's part of the reason one sees such small IC and pipes on stack apps.

SC

Quick Reply: Is there such a thing as too big of an intercooler