Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Methanol Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Methanol Question(s)

I've got my meth kit all hooked up and was wondering when using -20 below windshield washer fluid, do I just pour in the bottle straight? Or do I do a 50/50 mix of WW fluid and water or some other ratio?

I've found methanol at our local circle track place for 2.50 a gallon, but he is waiting for a resupply so I'll have to use this for now.
Any help is great.
J
Old 10-04-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The -20 below should already be a mix of meth and water. It you read the label, it should say something about not swalloing it. Meth is not a good thing to drink.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fandango
It you read the label, it should say something about not swalloing it. Meth is not a good thing to drink.
Ha ha, thats some pretty fun stuff there! Nice of you to help, funny guy

Laters,

Old 10-04-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

out of all the guys that run meth and no help, advice?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry Jer i dont run it or trust it........ TTT for ya buddy.

Bad news today bro..................
Kyle
Old 10-04-2005, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

the expensive windshield wiper fluid should be 48/52 meth to water i think thats what it says, thats what i use in mine...never a problem, the meth and water evaporate instantly thats what causes the cooling affect. correct me if i wrong.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

just run it out of the bottle.
thats what I plan to do.
I used to make a water/alky mixture, but have been reading the fluid that has methonal in it will work fine, plus I can use it to clean my windshield which I have not been able to do for years wohoo!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

If you really want to learn a lot about Meth, go to the GN boards. It has a huge following in that circle. Most of them have abandoned the washer fluid and have gone to straight meth with a little top cyclinder lubricant in it to keep the corrosion down. I know of a guy running it in his DSM and is pushing 37psi on 93 octane pump gas and meth injection. He is currently upping the jet size to run 40 psi I am going to have to throw a setup on this winter.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heath
thats what I just ended up doing, pouring it in how it came out of the bottle.
I primed the pump and holy crap does that sureflo pump put out some volume. I had the hose sitting in another bottle and primed it to clear out any junk in the hoses and damn near wasted 1/4 of it right away I also used my WW tank too, can't lose that on my car since its on the road all the time.

klw1313 and JETmn, yeah I did some google research after I posted and I found an article stating that the -20 below stuff is good straight out of the bottle.
I will go to the methanol from the race shop after I get the hang of this meth stuff, but will cut my teeth on the WW stuff since its cheap.

Kyle, PM me with the bad news,

Why don't you trust it? I think its cheap insurance when you consider that my car is still a daily driver.
I get into boost daily whether I mean to or not, on ramps, passing slow pecker heads that are doing 50mph on the damn highway So having meth squirt some extra octane in the ol combustion chambers and keeping the dreaded KR away is always good in my book.
Its a lot safer than running around on 91 octane by itself, like I've been doing.

But you know me, if I plan on beating on the car, its always 104+ octane, it was that way with the s/c and it'll be that way with the turbo.
So the recipe is
Street=meth+pump+low boost
Track/Dyno=meth+race gas+high boost
adds up pretty good and should be very reliable.
J
Old 10-04-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
But you know me, if I plan on beating on the car, its always 104+ octane, it was that way with the s/c and it'll be that way with the turbo.
So the recipe is
Street=meth+pump+low boost
Track/Dyno=meth+race gas+high boost
adds up pretty good and should be very reliable.
J

I agree with ya there.... the 104 will be alot of help..... Ill PM you in the morning when i get to work.... its alot .......

Kyle
Old 10-05-2005, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

you could also use xyelene from HD, there are a few GN guys around me that use that. I get em the damange cans for fifty cents

incase you ever run out and just have to have it
Old 10-05-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

frcefed98 - did you ever get dyno numbers?
Old 10-05-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69firebird
you could also use xyelene from HD, there are a few GN guys around me that use that. I get em the damange cans for fifty cents

incase you ever run out and just have to have it
Ya i used to use that in my dsm. Though i jsut threw it right into teh gas tank. It definatly helped out.
I forget which one it is, there is xylene and tyolene. One of them is what companies use in octane booster to actually make the boost in octane. They dont use much which is why it raises the octane in a tank of gas about a 1/4 pt. But runin straight tyolene is alot better and dont cost a ton. GL man

John
Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RealQuick
frcefed98 - did you ever get dyno numbers?
nah, its been a total cluster f#@K since I got this turbo kit. Shoulda stuck with the damn s/c'er

I'm just now finishing up all the odds and ends. Its been "good" doing the daily drive thing back and forth to work but haven't been able to really lay into it.

I'm finishing up the meth install, had to order some more HTS stuff and a 3.5 SS elbow so I can mount the nozzle for the meth, those silicone boots don't mount nozzles very well

I also replaced my fuel system trying to track down a "fuel delivery issue"

And I have a local tuner going over my HPT's to see if we can nail down the tune so I can take it to the track and the dyno.

lots of money being spent with no return so far.
J
Old 10-05-2005, 04:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Wanna buy a nice s/c setup J, may be parting this one out soon
Old 10-05-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp

ha ha a Funny Kevin..... what do u have in mind for a new setup if your serious??? The dark side like us ?????

Kyle
Old 10-05-2005, 04:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I did the turbo buick thing hardcore 15 years ago and I'm done - only turbo I may ever own again is a cummings dodge pickup

No future plans, I would sell the car complete but these cars are worth more in parts then running
Old 10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car was set up for 100 oct gas, but i put a meth kit on it so i could run pump gas. I run the meth straight now and it is over-fueled and breaks up. If you plan to run it straight, you will likely have to pull some fuel delivery to the injectors or it'll run way rich. To really set it up right you need to tune it on a load bearing dyno and tweak multiple factors.

I'm thinking of just going back to 100 octane short-term, but will likely de-mod the car in the future or trade/sell for a less HP car. Too much tweaking and not enough enjoyment!!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Teching In

We run straight meth (with klotz) in all of our vehicles, but we believe the key is the progressive system built by alkycontrol.com. You can turn it on at any boost level you want and ramp it up at almost any rate to full blast if you want and no bog, or overfueling problems. Have one on my stock motor Typhoon with a 20g turbo and have ran 12.35 @ 108mph at 4200lbs.

We have many customers that have turbo/supercharged applications and they all run straight methanol with no issues at all.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
*ouch* Kick me while i'm down

Nah, i'll see this one out to the bitter end, even if it means just getting the car to run OK. Like Dave said above too much tweeking and not enough enjoyment. I'll get it, hopefully sooner than later.
J

Quick Reply: Methanol Question(s)