Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finally got the car put back together and then....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally got the car put back together and then....

Started it up...All was good..Took it on a drive through town and it started to block smoke...almost like i was dusting for misquetoes...shut it off and checked things out..didnt smell like antifreeze...went to start it back up...POP...then i heard water running into the cylinders i assume...Been a year since i have had the thing out and my fun lasted for 5min.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine how you feel right now man. Figure out what went wrong and go from there to get it fixed. Don't give up on it.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
I can't imagine how you feel right now man. Figure out what went wrong and go from there to get it fixed. Don't give up on it.
Tell me about it...Could hardly sleep last night because I knew it would finished today...Anyone have a built longblock for sale? Very interested in starting fresh...
Old 03-09-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOu could have either blown a head gasket, cracked a head or maybe something else...What A\F were you running??? Was it tuned?? How much boost and what octane?? Are you sure that the black smoke isn't from the turbo getting oil in it from pressure built up??? Hmmm, I would just check everything and then double check it...Is it idling weird or extremely rich at idle??? If it's sucking air then it might be a little rich...I would just try to check it out and see if there's anything that you can troubleshoot it down to
Old 03-09-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
YOu could have either blown a head gasket, cracked a head or maybe something else...What A\F were you running??? Was it tuned?? How much boost and what octane?? Are you sure that the black smoke isn't from the turbo getting oil in it from pressure built up??? Hmmm, I would just check everything and then double check it...Is it idling weird or extremely rich at idle??? If it's sucking air then it might be a little rich...I would just try to check it out and see if there's anything that you can troubleshoot it down to

It is tuned...Wasnt in boost...just put new clutch in also so i was taking it easy to break it in...just puttin through town...It DID idle fine....It doesnt even start now...Hydo-locked im fearing...Almost positive a head gasket went because of hearing the water draining into the cylinder...Not sure how it happened...This is why the car has been down, it blew a head gasket on the dyno last year...
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's a head gasket because a) I don't think you can hear water trickling through 1/2" of aluminum and steel and b) an engine with a blown head gasket will run. Check the basics: spark, compression, fuel.

Mike
Old 03-09-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of gaskets are you using??? Are they MLS??? If it doesnt start up then I would just go ahead and take the heads off...I know that it sucks but you're probably better off to go ahead and do it and while they're down I would get them checked to see if they're warped...Always a good precaution...I know from experience...Did you read your gauges before it happened??? Was it running hot or anything?? Man I sure hope that you get this figured out...I would freaking flip!!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, you know that the gas could have created the black smoke...As far as the trickling thing I don't know...You could pull a spark plug and it could probalby tell you more than we could...If it was running rich, blown head gasket, etc...Plus it's way easier (I won't say way easier cuz they still suck) to do then pulling the head...Do you have a wide band???Vapor lock is possible...Like Mike said check the basics but i would first pull the plugs before the heads...Then if you see anything out of the ordinary then go to the means necessary to remedy the situation....
Old 03-10-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

I definetly heard the water trickeling...Yes MLS gaskets...The color of the smoke looked identical to what it did the last time a head gasket blew..just didnt have the strong anti-freeze smell.....When i mean it doesnt run, i mean it wont even turn over...the only noise it makes is the sound of the starter (I think thats what it is...like a cordless drill). the gauges were reading fine....temp was a little below 210...oil pressure was normal...
98turbo, I should have had my heads inspected before i put it back together, your right...May have been a hair line fracture that was looked over...

When the car was apart, there where a few pencil led size marks on the number 7 piston and the head....very faint...hoping the pop wasnt that piston finishing itself off..checked oil...no anti-freeze in it..
Old 03-10-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=98turbls1]Hmmm, you know that the gas could have created the black smoke...

Thick white smoke.....sorry if i said black..didnt realize it......
Im going to pull the plugs in the morning and see.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

That indicates to me brother that it's water!!! I've blown a head gaskets and then white smoke...My guess for it not turning over is because there's too much water in there and the start won't turn it over...I would seriously pull atleast one of your plugs....I'm assuming that some water will be found on those plugs
Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
That indicates to me brother that it's water!!! I've blown a head gaskets and then white smoke...My guess for it not turning over is because there's too much water in there and the start won't turn it over...I would seriously pull atleast one of your plugs....I'm assuming that some water will be found on those plugs

Exactly what im thinking....just wondering what the pop was....thats the scary part...I guess its all scary when I think about taring that thing back apart...Everythings so crammed in these cars!!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt even try to turn it over if you think the cylinders are filled with water, see alot of people break (marine) engines that way.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Charging TA
I wouldnt even try to turn it over if you think the cylinders are filled with water, see alot of people break (marine) engines that way.
I havent ever since i heard the water running
Old 03-10-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Yep, you can also break one if the starter bolts holes off the the block. (ask me how I know)
Old 03-10-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pull the plugs if you're going to try and turn it over.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
Yep, you can also break one if the starter bolts holes off the the block. (ask me how I know)

please explain.....the starter was off the car so now you have me wondering....
Old 03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fletchls1
please explain.....the starter was off the car so now you have me wondering....
I broke the outside of the starter bolt hole off the block. Had to get that peice welded back on to the block. It broke off because I sucked water into the motor and didn't know it (also bent a rod) and tried to start it. Just look at the outside starter bolt hole and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

ill give that a check too when i get home...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

pull the plugs, put her in neutral and manually crank the engine with a breaker bar. See if coolant comes out of the plug holes.

Quick Reply: Finally got the car put back together and then....