STS problem solved..well sort of

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS problem solved..well sort of

Last week I posted that my STS kit was not making any boost:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/468509-sts-not-making-any-hp.html

Well, I figured out the problem..the intercooler. My car was making 4-5 lbs of boost at the intake, and 8-9 between the turbo and intercooler!!! I bypassed the intercooler, and now I am getting 9 lbs at the intake. At least now I know the problem!!

The bad news though, STS is dropping the ball to make this right. They have been very poor at returning calls and dealing with my problems. They also want me to either send them my intercooler and when they get it send me a new one (total waiting time 2+weeks) or pay them with a credit card, send me a new one, and issue a refund when they get the old one(should have taken a week). I have a lot $$$ money out and in their hands, and they are concerned about security!! The salesman even told me I should just run without the intercooler!!!!

I was supposed to hear from someone on Friday, so I could make arrangements to get this handled. I got no call and nothing was done. If the intercooler was shipped out on Friday, it would take it one week to arrive at my door. giving me the weekend to get it installed. Now, at the earliest it will ship out on Monday (doubt it), I won't get it until next Monday, and won't have time to install it until the following weekend THANKS STS

I am sure I will hear (from STS) about how I got a great deal on the kit, but it was supposed to be a good functioning kit. A kit that has kept me down chasing my tail for a week, that will now turn into 3 weeks of down time is no deal.

Tony
Old 03-18-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm no expert at checking an intercooler, but I've heard that if you drop it in the bathtub full of water, you can check for bubbles escaping from somewhere. That would tell you in the intercooler is leaking. I just don't know what else could be wrong with it that would cause that much of a loss of boost.

FWIW, STS has been pretty could taking care of me. But, good luck getting it fixed.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

I expected them to be pretty good as well. I don't know why it is so hard to get this resolved. I have had other issues as well. I needed an extra flange for my wastegate, asked for it over 2 weeks ago, and it still is not shipped. Also, the check valve and related plumbing was broken during shipping. It took 3 days for them to ship it, and another week to get it. I just bought the needed parts and fixed it myself.

Tony
Old 03-18-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just out of curiousity, did you buy this kit straight from them? You mentioned you got a good deal...how so?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

It is a complicated situation as to how/where I got it, and how a good deal was made on the purchase of the kit. They didn't have a kit available for an 05 GTO, and I agreed to share what I did to adapt the kit, and to offer any advice and help that I could for the next person to install one. I was also included in a special (sale) they were offer at the time.

There is a bit more to it, but that covers it well enough.

Tony
Old 03-18-2006, 11:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a side question for those more knowledgeable on here:

Since it sounds like a leak, but there is still some boost being made, and even when working properly he isn't near the turbo's max, .... why can't he move the gate reference to the side that measured low boost (intake) and use this as a band-aid until a replacement comes? This question though is just more of whether this would work as it sounds.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

It may work, but it won't be right. I want to get the final tune on my car so I can just drive the thing with nothing to worry about. I can't do that until the system is right.

As far as a leak, I feel I have done more that enough to diagnose the problem, and I don't feel the need to have to examine the intercooler to figure out the problem. That is for STS to do.

Tony
Old 03-18-2006, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

FWIW I think there is something wrong w/ the intercooler. I am only losing ~2psi from the turbo to the throttle body.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you tried contacting Billy at Texas Rear Turbo's? He may be able to help. Just a thought; he's great to talk with. Good luck!!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kllrvet
It may work, but it won't be right. I want to get the final tune on my car so I can just drive the thing with nothing to worry about. I can't do that until the system is right.

As far as a leak, I feel I have done more that enough to diagnose the problem, and I don't feel the need to have to examine the intercooler to figure out the problem. That is for STS to do.

Tony
I read the other post and can't figure out what you even did? I'm suspected you checked every single hose/clamp/fitting for leaks? --(under boost). Just a few tiny leaks would cause your boost drop. I can't see sending back an intercooler unless you pressure test it first to make sure there is a problem.Wouldn't take long at all to do.

Also I would definitely use the intake as a boost reference to control the wastegate instead of the Turbo.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Banned

I dont see where STS did you wrong to be honest.

They ask you to ship them the Intercooler back.. and when they receive it.. they ship you out a NEW one. Or, you let them charge your credit card.. you get one shipped immediately, and when you return your used intercooler, they refund you.

How is that screwing you or dropping the ball? Thats EXACTLY what I would do if I owned a business.

I wouldnt be sending out parts to people without some cash in my hand or old part in my hands. Thats just bad business and you are looking to go belly up if you handle business that way.

Best wishes for your build.. but I wouldnt bash STS for something like that.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro

They ask you to ship them the Intercooler back.. and when they receive it.. they ship you out a NEW one. Or, you let them charge your credit card.. you get one shipped immediately, and when you return your used intercooler, they refund you.

How is that screwing you or dropping the ball? Thats EXACTLY what I would do if I owned a business.

I wouldnt be sending out parts to people without some cash in my hand or old part in my hands. Thats just bad business and you are looking to go belly up if you handle business that way.

Best wishes for your build.. but I wouldnt bash STS for something like that.
Actually I would do what Corsa did with me.
I call and said my muffler is making a weird clanging noise (I knew it was broken, I wanted to see what he said)
His reply, ok I just need you to fax me proof of purchase and we'll send you out a new one with pre-paid return shipping. I just need your credit card in case you don't return the old muffler.

Got my new muffler, sent the old one back and haven't heard from them since and didn't spend a dime aside from the hour or so taking the old muffler off and putting on a new one...but I enjoy that stuff
Old 03-19-2006, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

They ask you to ship them the Intercooler back.. and when they receive it.. they ship you out a NEW one. Or, you let them charge your credit card.. you get one shipped immediately, and when you return your used intercooler, they refund you..
What about the amount of money I have out, and have a system with problems? Why do I have to be the one to assume all the risk?

If a part I sold or a job I did wasn't right, I just care take of it. To me that is good business. I also return calls and get it done immedietly.

How am I bashing STS? This IS what is happening. If you take it as bashing, then maybe you agree they are not taking care of this properly.

Tony

Last edited by kllrvet; 03-19-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't be hard to make a boost leak tester for the system.We make them for our dsms with home depot coupling that goes over the turbo and you put in a cap and install like a tire valve.put a compressor on it or we even use a bicycle pump.That usually finds your leaks.
Also for any turbo application you want to use high quality silicone couplers combined with t bolt clamps not cheap worm gear clamps.Between these two things you should easily be able to figure out what the problem is.After all its just tubing and intercooler not exactly complicated stuff.And jb weld can even take care of a pinhole leak.We get those on the dsm stock sidemounts pretty frequently.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Well, if you got the kit 2nd hand or something, STS might be looking to protect themselves since you are not a direct customer. Now if they are very familiar with your project, then you guys should just figure out what the best next step is. I'd have the intercooler tested locally first, if you know anyone to do that. Where are you located?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

I really don't have the time to invest in figuring out what is wrong with the intercooler. I recently bought the motorcycle shop that I have worked at for a few years. I am very busy there, and have very little free time to spend with my six month old son and my wife. I can't just spend a ton of time on the car. That was the reason I went with the STS kit to begin with. It was supposed to be a bit of adaptation for an 05 GTO, and then just go. I realize the problem I have isn't their fault, but remeding the situation is their responsibility.

The kit was bought new, not used.

Tony
Old 03-20-2006, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

I didn't realize that you had an intercooler on the kit. At any rate you could always take it to a radiator shop and ask them to pressure test if for you. If there is a leak in it they should be able to help get you fixed up if they are worth their salt. I would also agree that if it is their kit they should provide some tech help whether it was bought new or second hand. I have never dealt with STS but I have run into several companies or many different products that could give two ***** less about the customer or the product sold after the money exchanges hands and some retailers are ever worse. I hope you get it fixed up slim.

Jim C.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Who did you buy it through?

Make sure the intercooler is not clogged. I'd have a radiator shop go check it.

I have a 6 month old too and it's hard to find time to do stuff.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:06 AM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .........

Im not saying its STS's fault but Ive had problems with two out of three STS kits building boost correctly making them impossible to tune. I am just speaking from personal experience. Ive tuned several front mount single turbo cars(including my own) and never saw issues like I have with the STS. I currently have a 98 STS TA that we are still working issues out on(which are very simular to what this post is about). One was an H2 and that was a nightmare it would not build above 4PSI the other was a STS suburban that was the only one that did what it was suppose to and built boost correctly. The only non constant thing was the installs the suburban that went well was installed perfessionally the other two by the owner. Personally I dont like the kits but to each his own.

Originally Posted by kllrvet
I really don't have the time to invest in figuring out what is wrong with the intercooler. I recently bought the motorcycle shop that I have worked at for a few years. I am very busy there, and have very little free time to spend with my six month old son and my wife. I can't just spend a ton of time on the car. That was the reason I went with the STS kit to begin with. It was supposed to be a bit of adaptation for an 05 GTO, and then just go. I realize the problem I have isn't their fault, but remeding the situation is their responsibility.

The kit was bought new, not used.

Tony

Quick Reply: STS problem solved..well sort of