Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo ?

Well i have been looking into FI for the past mth and i think i have finially decided to go with the STS Turbo kit. It seems to be the best idea for me and i love driving turbo cars. I have a 99 SS that is basically stock with a little under 70k miles, mods are..

918 Springs
Comp 224/224 581 114lsa cam
Granitelli Maf
Air Lid

Now my questions are...

1. Is that a good cam or at least not a bad cam for FI?

2. Would 8psi be safe with FMIC and a good tune?

3. What power levels would i be looking at with 8psi with and w/o getting headers?

4. Would the 67 turbo be good enough or would spending the 250$ extra for the 70 be worth it?

5. Would comp 918's be a good enought spring?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by navymitch12
Well i have been looking into FI for the past mth and i think i have finially decided to go with the STS Turbo kit. It seems to be the best idea for me and i love driving turbo cars. I have a 99 SS that is basically stock with a little under 70k miles, mods are..

918 Springs
Granitelli Maf
Air Lid

Now my questions are...

3. What power levels would i be looking at with 8psi with and w/o getting headers?

4. Would the 67 turbo be good enough or would spending the 250$ extra for the 70 be worth it?

1. I think that cam is fine. actually pretty decent
2. should be fine from what ive seen. some people push more w/o problems
3. with 67 ~450+
4. depends how much power you want, 67 will make 600+whp
5.yes

Last edited by Fr33styL3; 03-31-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:04 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32

Check out the Camaro SS above that we used the 67 turbo on. Bob
Old 04-01-2006, 05:42 AM
12 Second Club

yea a built motor is a little much for my current price range...maybe down the line a little...or a lot
Old 04-01-2006, 05:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

918 Springs
Granitelli Maf
Air Lid

Now my questions are...

1. I have a similiar cam. TR224/224 .563/.563 112LSA. Not ideal, but it works. I also have LT headers. Between the two I don't get into positive boost till about 3K RPM and don't make full boost till 3.5K RPM. With stock manifolds you would probably make boost a little faster. Same for a turbo or even stock cam. Nothing like blowing some of the intake charge out the cylinder due to the exhaust overlap. On the plus side, if you like intimidating exhaust tones, you will LOVE the cam and LT's through the turbo. It sounds very "old-school."

2. 8PSI is "probably" safe for a FMIC. I'm a bit of a conservative. I'll be ordering my FMIC in a couple weeks, and will still limit my boost to 7PSI for street driving. To each his own though.

3. 8PSI w/ cam, etc and 8PSI....probably a bit over 500RWHP. The gain of the cam is diminished vs naturally aspirated, but still better than stock.

4. -67 turbo would be a good choice unless you plan on rebuilding the engine soon and dumping TONS of boost into it. A larger turbo will give more top-end, but also more boost lag. The -67 is a good choice for your current mods. (I have this one w/ my car.)

5. I've had no probs running the CC918's.

Mods are in my sig. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

thanks man that is a lot of help.. but wouldnt your 112 cam be worse than my 114lsa cam as far as overlap?...i am just getting into this whole FI thing so i could be wrong but i thought like 115 was a good range for FI where the lower the number the worse it is?.... but other than that confusion thanks for all the help.

and how do you like the textralia clutch?
Old 04-02-2006, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

thanks man that is a lot of help.. but wouldnt your 112 cam be worse than my 114lsa cam as far as overlap?...i am just getting into this whole FI thing so i could be wrong but i thought like 115 was a good range for FI where the lower the number the worse it is?.... but other than that confusion thanks for all the help.

and how do you like the textralia clutch?
Yes, 112LSA is worse for overlap than your 114.

I LOVE my Textralia clutch. Damn near bulletproof and the customer service is the best I've ever experienced. I had the pressure plate bolts back off a couple months ago thanks to the installer using anti-seize instead of red-locktite on the bolts Bottom line is the clutch looked like new when I redid the bolts (doing it myself this time with lock-tite.) That was with a good 20 passes at the track and driving about 20 miles slipping the clutch to get it to the garage after the pressure plate bolt fiasco. Textralia was even going to warranty the clutch knowing it was raced on and that the initial install was bad. They helped me out a lot through the entire process and are totally top notch in my book. The clutch also holds up to boost just fine.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Schantin..which flywheel did you get ?I am thinking of the middle roselock one .was thinking the light one but dont really want it to give me any driveabilty problems so figure the slightly lighter one should be ok.
I either will get textralia or the ls7. I wish more input on ls7 but the track season is just gettingt going.
I plan big twin turbo power and need a good clutch but want something streetable as well.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Schantin..which flywheel did you get ?I am thinking of the middle roselock one .was thinking the light one but dont really want it to give me any driveabilty problems so figure the slightly lighter one should be ok.
I either will get textralia or the ls7. I wish more input on ls7 but the track season is just gettingt going.
I plan big twin turbo power and need a good clutch but want something streetable as well.
Whn I got the Textralia clutch last July, the only option was a new balanced stock flywheel. Works fine and no probs. The lightweight flywheel would not be street friendly or drag friendly due to inertia. They're more for autocross where long durations are spent in the upper RPM band.

MY friend has an LS7 clutch. Very similiar feel and his is doing well. HE was launching on ET streets at 4K last night with no slip issues. Now, his car is only a bolt-on car, so not sure how it would hold up to the added hit of FI.