Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Comp 918s vs. Patriot Dual Golds for BLown stock LS6 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp 918s vs. Patriot Dual Golds for BLown stock LS6 motor?

I want to run a replacement spring for my stock LS6 motor that has 23000 miles on it now and 3400 miles since being blown by an ECS D1SC kit. I really PREFER to run a dual spring like the Patriot dual golds but am concerned that the extra spring pressure from the patriot duals (vs comp 918 single spring) may over tax my timing chain, cam bolts, etc., on my 100% stock motor.

I want the insurance of a nice dual spring (to hold up valve if a spring craps out) but don't want to ruin anything by messing with something that is not broken. If you were me would you just go with 918 springs our Patriot golds on a stock blown LS6 motor running between 5 to 10 lbs of boost and not seeing more than 6000 rpm? My goal is to keep my stock LS6 motor alive as long as possible and will only go to a forged shortblock when i am forced to do so. I am also looking for the most reliablle set-up for my car that sees 10K miles a year and many miles while i am working, and i cannot afford to be breaking down when i am on the job!!

What makes the most sense given my goals?

Last edited by MTI 427 C5 Roadster; 04-05-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pop some 918's in there and call it a day.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

I ran both with great results. The reason i switched to the PRC's duals is because im running a cam with a .593 lift. So the PRC's are just for extra safety.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Knowleagable LSX People are really divided on this issue, as have tell me to leave well enuff alone and the other half say its excellent insurance for the piece of mind i am looking for. I called COMP today and they told me i will not be harming anything but do do hardened pushrods at the same time or are they just looking for a sale!!

Right now i am leaning toward patriot golds and hardend chromoly pushrods ad the spring pressue of thes dual spring is not much greater than the 918 single comp spring pressure. Here is the breakdown of open and close spring pressures between the 3 springs at issue here and maybe this will help you guys with some of your opinions.

LS6 springs-90psi/closed & 294psi/opened

918 springs-130psi/closed & 318psi/opened

Patriot dual gold springs-135psi/closed & 350psi/opened

THIS is not an easy decisin and I know common sense also dictates that if i want to freshen my springs this go with brand new LS6 springs!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MTI 427 C5 Roadster
Knowleagable LSX People are really divided on this issue, as have tell me to leave well enuff alone and the other half say its excellent insurance for the piece of mind i am looking for. I called COMP today and they told me i will not be harming anything but do do hardened pushrods at the same time or are they just looking for a sale!!

Right now i am leaning toward patriot golds and hardend chromoly pushrods ad the spring pressue of thes dual spring is not much greater than the 918 single comp spring pressure. Here is the breakdown of open and close spring pressures between the 3 springs at issue here and maybe this will help you guys with some of your opinions.

LS6 springs-90psi/closed & 294psi/opened

918 springs-130psi/closed & 318psi/opened

Patriot dual gold springs-135psi/closed & 350psi/opened

THIS is not an easy decisin and I know common sense also dictates that if i want to freshen my springs this go with brand new LS6 springs!!!
not to hyjack this thread but how much more PSI does the LS6 spring have over the LS1 stock spring
I got some new (yellow) LS6 springs for free and was wondering how much stronger they were
Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

This i don't know, but do know they are considerably stronger as the stock LS6 cam in a 02+ Z has a healthy stock .551 lift, but have no clue as to the specs vs stock LS1 spring!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious if you bought the duals or the singles?

FWIW...if your still deciding I just broke a valve spring on a crane dual with a cam that only had a 563 lift...(23K miles so its not the springs fault)

It doesn't look like it caused any damage as we caught it early. Its was just running like crap above 5500 on the dyno..On the street I couldn't really tell...as I thought it was a clogged catalytic convertor ...Got new headers and the issue continued...Previously thought it was a bad coil which was bad which I replaced and the car ran much smoother...Still it was the also a broken spring up top...which is why it ran pretty good but not great...

I'm having comp 921 duals in with my .563 lift cam because thats what this tuner believes is the best. I'm going with their recommendation because I like them and trust them..

I know its over kill for a 563 lift cam but I believe in following the advice of the gentlemen doing the work. I like them to feel good about what they are doing...

I had the option of the 918's and just wouldn't do it after experiencing a broken valve spring...

Needless to say I'm a big proponent of dual valve springs. Just change them out under the 20k mile mark as a safeguard.(although I think the 921's will last a lifetime with this lift...LOL

Good luck.

JB

Last edited by JBsZ06; 05-18-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

For my stock LS6 motor all stock for now i went with the 918 springs and pushrods as 90% of all the tuners said this was the way to go on my stock LS6 motor and it was the right call.

That having been said i am planning on a back up forged block for the future on my blown motor which will have a blower cam and then duals are a most I agree, but they were overkill and too heavy for my stock motor!!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would run a dual spring just to save the valve in case of breakage. The inner spring will often keep the valve up preventing it from smashing into the piston and potentially wiping the motor.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
I would run a dual spring just to save the valve in case of breakage. The inner spring will often keep the valve up preventing it from smashing into the piston and potentially wiping the motor.
I agree with you 1000% and i was DYING for a dual spring b/c and only b/c of this exact reason. However, on a lil old LS6 cam with only a .551 lift, the dual spring for my bon STOCK Blown LS6 motor was just to DARN HEAVY and was overkill for my set-up, so i took the advice of the PROFESSIONAL TUNERS and went with the 918 which you know is an AWESOME SINGLE spring with minimal issues on cams with lifts under .580, etc.

I wish I would have done a DUAL know that i know I will be putting in a new forged motor at the end of this car season (or sooner if my motor gives up the ghost on boost) as I will now have to swap out to duals for my new cam in the shortblock, which will probably be a 224/230, 114, .581 lift and DUALS will be MUST for my new motor and cam, etc.

Just wish i knew i was going to plan on upgrading my shortblock when i put in the 918s 1.5 months ago, but plans do change and at least I will be able to sell them as they will have minimal miles on them etc.!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Springs are cheap especially compared to the investment you are putting into a forged shortblock.

Personally I think it's a no brainer. I would use doubles even if you keep the LS6 cam.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I am running a cam with a 595 601 lift on the 918's.... approx. 20K on them...
getting ready to put the LS6 heads on along with a new set of the 918's...

"Should" i do the hardened pushrods??