Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WG/BOV staying open??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WG/BOV staying open??

Just like the title says. They both stay open and now I cannot make boost. The wg used to be hooked straight up to the bov and it made boost. They are now hooked to the mani. If I run a line from the wg to the intake pipe after the turbo, im thinking this will close the wg??? could the bov be done the same way? give me all suggestions!
Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

heres a quick line up of how the vaccum lines are ran now

BOV-FPR then splits to HOBBS SWITCH and MANIFOLD-from HOBBS SWITCH it goes to the - WG

the vacuum is pulling the WG and BOV open constintaly. If i put the WG on the compressor side of the turbo this should eliminate the problem with that correct?

As long as the hobbs switch has the manifold pressure/vacuum, do i need to have that line on the WG running to it?

Where would I route the BOV so it does not have that vacuum pulling it open the whole time? (still needs to open or see vaccum some how when I let off the throttle)
Old 05-13-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're just confusing me with how you said the lines are hooked up, try drawing a picture.

Your bov should be open all the time. Vacuum is what opens it when you lay off the throttle., so unless you're in boost it should be open.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eviltwins
Your bov should be open all the time. Vacuum is what opens it when you lay off the throttle., so unless you're in boost it should be open.
Thats only if the BOV is recirculated back into the intake. If its open to the atmosphere (and BOV's usually are), then it needs to be normally closed.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conundrum07
Thats only if the BOV is recirculated back into the intake. If its open to the atmosphere (and BOV's usually are), then it needs to be normally closed.
Not always. Depends on the valve, spring, and any adjustment it has.

If you have vacuum pulling the wastegate open, it sounds like you have a 2 port gate and have the wrong port connected to the manifold.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

i've ran my w/g and bov staright to the mani with no probs hmmm
Old 05-13-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry about the confusion. the bov does not recirculate. I do not remember it ever staying open before i had my stuff installed. If it is supposed to stay open, it seems like to me it would be harder to create boost.

What would happen if I ran the bov line into the cold side? It would be getting the pressure to keep it closed, but would it open?

I am planning on running the WG to the compresser side of the piping, but I am confused since I had an EBC installed. I think it is routed into the intake so im wondering if will still see the vaccum an keep the WG open.

Can someone help me understand how running a line from the WG to the BOV makes both of them function correctly?

help
Old 05-13-2006, 09:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y2khawk
If you have vacuum pulling the wastegate open, it sounds like you have a 2 port gate and have the wrong port connected to the manifold.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Not always. Depends on the valve, spring, and any adjustment it has.

Its hooked up correctly. Side port manifold, top port EBC.

Quick Reply: WG/BOV staying open??