Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I hate fuel injection, but i love Forced induction (thinking out of box)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:40 PM
BW
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate fuel injection, but i love Forced induction (thinking out of box)

Hi guys and gals.

seeing if anybody can offer some insight to my project. i have a 1978 malibu with an ls series iron 370 and afr 225 heads. cam is some what mild with a 228 228 .588 .581 113 lsa. intake setup i have the Edelbrock's carbureted intake manifold.

I want to do an STS style system on my malibu and my friends and i have decided on a mid frame 88 turbo and plan on doing a draw-through setup. I figure short fuel lines since the cell is in the back also not doing an intercooler since i've been reading that the pipes under the car will cool (sts website).

anybody here done a draw through rear mount setup before that can offer me some more direction?
Old 05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

I would say go with a blow-through setup if you want to go carb'ed. And ignore the next three guys that reply here and say "why would you not run EFI????"

best place to find good info on carb turbo setups is www.turbomustangs.com message board..
Old 05-29-2006, 02:45 PM
BW
Launching!

i would think changing the jets on the carb while it would be located in the trunk makes that draw through setup that much more appealing.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

I have run draw through and its not bad but my carb was right next to the heads (VW flat 4 motor) but if you put the carb way back there you would have HORRIBLE throttle response and fuel atomization. Stick to blow through if your going to go carb'd otherwise you will have nothing but headaches.

O yeah and you cant (or shouldnt) run an intercooler or a BOV with draw through. Fuel will puddle in the intercooler and that is just asking for an explosion and its obvious why the BOV wont work. Imagine spraying a mist of fuel and air in between shifts.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:52 PM
BW
Launching!

sts told me with the long pipes act as an intercooler so i wouldnt have to run one.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

if you dont run methanol, run an intercooler...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, I don't even see how that can work.... let's look at one point on carbs.

At idle (and I don't even see how you can make it do that, I mean, check out that idle circuit and think about moving it through 13 feet of pipe), the turbo is minimally moving, and and now you push the throttle open all at once.... Normally the accelerator pump's shot, that is sprayed directly in, gets you over the transition that occurs when you kill the small vacuum off by opening the blades and allows for engine vac to 'catch up' and start venturi feeding... How will that pump shot do anything but hit the bottom of a pipe?....

I'm stopping with that thought, but surely there will be more issues if you really think this out.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:32 PM
SSU Moderator

It wont work...at least not well. if you do an STS-style set up, at least do a blow-through, and even then, that turbo will be HUGE! Mid frame 88 on a 370 wont spool till like 4500 anyway...it would be WAY worse in the rear location.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

I think youd have to do blow through, the draw, you talking about have a combustion chamber running the length of your car, a pressureized fuel air mixture, BOOM

also are you sure the fuel would stay suspended on that long of a journey?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it simple and cheap, go blow thru. Spend some time here, like above post said > turbomustangs.com
This is my thought, as soon as fuel vapor is added to the air mix, it wont flow like ya think. But hey i'm no expert.The reason conventional draw through works is the fuel vapor has inches to move, not feet, plus with the air and fuel in vapor (suspended atomized fuel) it is much heaver than air, and it beats up the impeller, plus ya cant intercool a draw thru, if it back fires, ya got a freakin bomp under there...thats scary.
Sometimes new ideas are cool, and thinking outside the box is cool, but there are proven ways to things, and a little research, will save ya some time and money....BUT, If i wanted to try that myself, i would, no matter what anyone says. But AGE and Experience say go the proven easy way, you'll enjoy it more.Those guys on turbomustangs.com have years and years and years of experience and a group, ya cant beat that, and those guys are big thinkers, anything ya try, it's been done, proven or not, and they have a huge data base to pull from, awesome guys and site.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm having a 408W with ATI D2 built for my 66 Mustang. My builder is comfortable doing blow-through for the centri blowers, but has found GOOD tuning harder to dial in w/ turbos due to the non-linear boost/flow issues. OTOH, there are a bunch of guys over on TurboMustangs.com [as has been repeatedly mentioned!] with good success.

STS draw through = non-starter!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

too far away for a drawthru setup... IMO atleast...

but like the 2 other people above me just said... if you want THE tech board for carbed turbo setups, goto TurboMustangs.com.. dont let the name fool ya.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This butt-turbo craze is really getting on my nerves. The whole concept came out because it's very hard to fit a turbo under the hood (where it belongs) of a 4th gen. They work decent and compete well with comparably priced superchargers, but are compromised and give up some of the inherent advantages of a turbocharger.

With a '78 Malibu, you have tons of room in the engine bay. Put the turbo under the hood. There is absoltely no reason to put it at the rear of the car. The draw-through won't work there anyway - imagine trying to cold-start a motor where the fuel puddle has to travel 15 ft., including uphill 2 ft.

Now let's get down to making power:

Blow-through carb set-ups have been getting really popular lately, partly due to an excellent board over on turbomustangs.com. This resource of information inspired me to build a 377 SBC with a blow-through Holley 750 (csucarbs.com) and a T-76GTS turbo. This combo was relatively mild and made 930 hp / 1070 ft-lb at 18 psi boost. The real kicker was that the carb was literally taken out the box and bolted to the motor with ZERO jetting changes. It worked perfectly from 3 to 18 psi boost! I used the turbomustangs.com-recommended Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and 13202 regulator and they worked perfectly also.

BW, LISTEN UP! You already own the beginings of a combination that has truly prodigous power potential. DO NOT spoil it with a butt-turbo, some rigged carb setup, and no intercooler. Comparing your combination to the one that I just built, you have an automatic 50 hp "LSx Advantage" over mine. Add the fact that your heads are much better than ours (GMPP 23 deg FastBurns - probably 270 cfm) and your bigger turbo and yours should be capable of well over 1000 hp on pump gas, and about 1250 on race gas. YOU WILL NOT REACH THESE NUMBERS WITH A REAR-MOUNT DRAW THROUGH.

[/rant]

Mike
Old 05-30-2006, 09:22 PM
FormerVendor

I think it would work if you filled the induction tubing with hundreds of Tornadoes to keep the fuel suspended.

Also, I would mount the carb/turbo up really high, say on a superbird wing so the air/fuel mix was travelling downhill.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I think it would work if you filled the induction tubing with hundreds of Tornadoes to keep the fuel suspended.
That's funny, Brady. I actually started to get really dissappointed in you - then finished reading the sentence.

Quick Reply: I hate fuel injection, but i love Forced induction (thinking out of box)