Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo guys, I need advice again :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo guys, I need advice again :-)

Good day all. I need some advice from you guys. Right now I have a 2001 z28 w/ 88k miles on the clock. Headers, 42# inj., STS 60-1 kit at 8#, 3.42 gears, a4, no stall. I want to convert (of sorts) this car into a car that is ready to race in the silver state classic or a similiar run out in Nevada. What's that mean to me? A lower gear (maybe back to 2.73), additional cooling, and stiffening up the suspension. What I'm looking for from you guys is what setup would net me the best top end... I have an 02 ls6 cam that's just sitting around in my closet (it's actually in the for sale section as I type this) and possibly a TCI 3500 stall on the way. Does anyone have experience and could tell me if that's a nice combination for cam + turbo + gear + stall to attain decent speeds? I'm going to take care of the other major steps in the appropriate forum but for now I pose that question to you all.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 AM
9 Second Club

What is the race? Guessing its not Drag.... You say top end... are you going to have a chance to see a real top end? More info please on what type of race you are talking about and what you are looking for out of the car!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by longrange4u
What is the race? Guessing its not Drag.... You say top end... are you going to have a chance to see a real top end? More info please on what type of race you are talking about and what you are looking for out of the car!

Its a 90mile open road race on highway 318 between Ely and Las Vegas. The police shut the road down twice a year. May and I believe September. I actually got to help time the event in May 2004 and it was a blast! Fastest land speed record on a public road was set there, if I remember correctly it was 214 Average MPH for the entire course(yes...all 90 miles of it)

That would be fun as heck to do, set your cars suspension and brakes up to top notch. You'll want at least a 6 pt roll cage. I know your first time out, I think you're limited to the 110mph class(somewhere around that speed) and top speed is also limited. Anyways, good luck on your build up. That's a FUN FUN race to watch and I can only imagine to run in.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

Some guys say racing from a roll isn't racing. While the race doesn't start from a roll. After so many miles that's what you get. I'm looking for real good top end. I don't want a gear that's going to take that away.

And Longrange, darkblueta pretty much summed up the race. The beginners race I think your top speed can be 135 and your maximum average speed can only be 110.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

hit up strano --> for advice on suspension. Hes a sponsor.

Also are you runnin a meth kit for 8#? or intercooler? Hows the car runnin with 8#? Sounds like youve got basically a stock car with a 60 trim kit. Some good #s.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

maybe just lower it to stiffen it up some and put 2.73s in.The converter wont help you any top end.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

I would think a trans cooler or two might come into play for the extended run in the top end. Even without a converter. Better cooling, Radiator, etc. especially on a boosted engine running Wide Open for an extended amout of time. I agree with the lower gearing for the auto. You will run out of third at 135mph with the 3.42's. The 2.73's should take you to the mid 160's in third, as stated before plenty for a first timer.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Is the converter a lock-up? If not, it will probably overheat the trans at those speeds and length of time.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Default How fast

I have run the Silver State many times. What class are you looking to run? I am interested in what people say on runniing turbo for distance. I just bought a LPE stage 4 twin turbo 01 ZO6.
Jeffy'

Quick Reply: Turbo guys, I need advice again :-)