Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pre Vortech install setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pre Vortech install setup questions

Hi just picked up a Vortech with Aftercooler system pretty damn cheap. It is going in my 98 in the sig. Kit is complete minus injectors and pump. Current mods are:

LS6 manifold
t56 conversion
Edelbrock LT's
LS6 PCV conversion
4:10's

Now I sold my Z06 to save on some money so I don't want to go crazy the car has 72k on it now and runs pretty good. My goal is 430-450rwhp now with probably a goal of 500-550rwhp with a forged shortblock down the road.

1. Fuel system - would a Racetronix plug and play setup with 42#green tops be a good choice for my current and future goals? It fits my budget nicely that is for sure!

2. The engine has some dirt in it from a broken PCV hose and has the 72k miles. Would a set of stock 317's (flow and compression) with a vavle job and 918's be a good idea? I'd change out the timing change, lifters, lifter trays, do head studs and oil pump. Or should I just say screw it and start saving for a shortblock and install it as is???

3. Are some Katech\Arp rod bolts necessary at this point? Or again should I just say screw it and save for the shortblock?

I have done some searches and really gotten alot of information just wanted to get a feel for what you guys though on my specific goals for the car. I race is on drag radials maybe 5 times a year nothing crazy and mostly just like the power when a turbo 240z pisses me off Any suggestions would be appreciated I know Vortechs aren't popular but the price was right.

So basically should I just upgrade the fuel throw it on there and wait until it goes boom (the shortblock would be replaced in 10-15k regardless) or if I did the above with good tuning could I expect it to last 20K. I know with these Hp levels its always a risk. But I usually don't beat my cars too bad

Thanks looking forward to joining the FI list
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

you're most definitely gonna see some valve float with stock valve springs, so you're gonna need better springs either way. If you're gonna be doing the engine/heads in the future, I'd say you save for it and do it all at once the right way.

For now, some better valve springs, injectors and Racetronics fuel pump (and MSD pump booster if you're feeling like it) should do the trick and get you where you want.

Personally, I don't like the Vortech aftercooler setup 'cos after it gets heat soaked, you're done gaining anything from it. I guess it's okay for a race car where you can fill it up with ice, but on the duty it'll be seeing on the street like you say, I'd preffer the air-air front mount intercooler. Maybe you could also start thinking of that too.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Junkie

So a better route would be to just get the fuel upgrades, some 918's, cross my fingers and start saving.

Last edited by 93TAWicked1; 08-22-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well where to start the kit works great up to 600rwhp then it is time to get something larger. The Racetronics with a BAP will get you to the 550-575 range. You can get a T-rex inline if you want it will get you to just over 500. Those 4:10's aren't very FI friendly though you can try them I would move to at least a 3:73 if not a 3:42 with a 6 spd and 3:42 with the auto IMO. And for the valve springs yeah a 918 or better and I would start out with a 2.75" pulley should get you to 480rwhp with a 6spd and keep you going for a little while or until you get your forged bottom end the stock 317's aren't worth the trouble for the money IMO at this point you have to buy the coil brackets valve covers etc... and not to mention the extra work and other materials head gaskets bolts/studs etc... I would leave it alone install the kit with valve springs and fuel pump of your choice and change the gears if it is in your budget and go raceing. The 42# will work for that power level for sure. Good luck and let me know if you run into any problems I'd be glad to help you figure it out I know the kit pretty well.
Jeff
Old 07-13-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Hah I was hoping you would pop in here I don't want to do the fuel twice so would the racetronix, msd bap and say Motron 60#'s Speed Inc has be a better choice.

HMM the 4:10 rear is not in (car is still apart with the 6spd conversion) yet so I could do 3:42s instead pretty easily. So you wouldn't mind if I PM'd you with some questions from time to time? Also all the major components came with the kit but if I need anything small is there a good shop to go to for that?

Thanks! Nice car BTW, SOM is my favorite color I had a SOM WS6 that was popular on here before I got my Z06.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah I ran the Racetronix Plug and Play with an MSD BAP and MSD 50's and I had a few issues, but tunned around it and I will say a little better set up is to run a set of Rails like Speed inc's put a regulator up front near the rails and run a return line Plug the T in the rear and use the line as your return to the tank etc... But what we are talking about here will definatly work good. I don't know what your goals are, but you won't be limited by the fuel system though. And feel free to PM me about anything. As far as the small parts I keep track of everything and the rest I make up with what I find at speed shops, Home depot, Lowes etc... If there is something specific let me know and I'll leet you know if I know of a good place to get it or not of course a lot of these guys on here could help a lot too so Tech is a great tool LOL! Thanks for the compliment I love my car for some reason, but I miss her it is popping a 24hr wheelie right now waiting on new motor and new FI set up should run a little better then the old one although I had a lot of kills with that simple set up makes me wonder why I am changing sometimes LOL!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:08 AM
10 Second Club

You do need to be careful racing with the aftercooler. After a pass you need to bring the water temp. back down. Either by adding some ice or letting it sit awhile. Like a dummy I detonated my stock motor by hot lapping.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I hot lapped mine and never had a problem, but I guess not everyone's car is going to be the same. But detonation will kill any forged bottom end also so that is not a good practice.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

jeff what set up are you going to? I didnt know you were changing. I guess it will be one less vorech guy in here.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he doesn't know...
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
he doesn't know...

Doesn't know what Jordan????
Old 07-13-2006, 08:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Exactly what my new set up will be as the last setup fell though due to some poor comunication on the sellers part. So I am still shopping, but I think I have something purchased from another member as long as nothing falls through.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to see another vortech guy on board.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heat soak is the only real problem with those kits.
I solved part of the problem injecting water-alcohol, now I want to insulate the system (at least the piping).
I was thinking at the same material used in turbo cars: it looks like wowen asbestos with an aluminum coating.
Do you guys know where to get it?

Injectors: I have now 36 lbs Bosch an the online pump sold by Vortech.
I'm at 80% duty cycle at 6000 rpm and an AFR of 12:1.
They are OK for my power level, but for your goal of 500-550rwhp surely too small.

Stefano

Quick Reply: Pre Vortech install setup questions