Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Made a few hot weather passes yesterday..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Made a few hot weather passes yesterday..

One bad thing about blowers vs heads/cam/nitrous is the heat. Nothing knocks this car down more then high air temps

But I wanted to check out the trans brake I just installed and I have had this nagging problem with trans fluid coming out of the vent when I'm hard on the brakes after a pass, even with the trans a quart low on fluid it still did it pretty regularly. I installed a CSR transmission overflow can on the firewall so i wanted to see how that would work out.

At nearly 4000' DA (87 degree air temp), leaving the car rich and zero track prep I still managed 6.18-6.24 @ 114 or so in the 1/8 with 1.42-1.395 60's. I can leave with like 6-7psi on the brake instead of nothing off the footbrake now which should help a bit when I get on a good hookin track. Car ran 6.50 @ 107 last year in the same weather and it was over 100lbs lighter so its doing a little better then last year.

Cool thing is the annoying trans leak is fixed, after 5 passes in an hour the trans was as hot as it will ever be and not drop anywhere, nothing sucked more then smoke billowing out from under the car when stopping after a pass and wiping that mess up under the car.

Couple passes from yesterday, I'm going to put an electric water pump on it so I can cool it off quicker between rounds but other then that I'd say I'm finally done for a while. When it cools off some it should get in the 9.20s in the 1/4 I think, not going to beat it up in the heat to get a new best so I'll bracket/6.50 index race it until it cools back off outside..

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/234db...0800029360.htm
Old 07-24-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's so impressive! Glad to see you have that stuff fixed. I'm at the point of just following your build with some minor changes to race that Car Craft Street Race class since it seems deadly consistent and good enough to go a couple rounds
Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, I wish I could run those times w/ bad conditions.

How do you like the th400?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

So you are able to build boost with the Procharger on a transbrake? That is some good news considering I am basically instlaling the same setup right now!

Very nice times by the way!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
That's so impressive! Glad to see you have that stuff fixed. I'm at the point of just following your build with some minor changes to race that Car Craft Street Race class since it seems deadly consistent and good enough to go a couple rounds
If I had the time to commit to a race series I would bolt some AFR 205s on the car and run that class. Little more weight moved from the front to the rear and a little more agressive tune and it would be competitive I think, especially since they never have a full field I hate pushing the car on the trailer so I try to keep good parts on the driveline, also helps you to get to the starting line every time but it costs a little power.

KraZy, noting wrong with a 400, they are just big and heavy. Good thing is I can build/rebuild one in my sleep and they can take a whole season of abuse in stride. But so will a powerglide except a glide isnt as heavy, I'm just too lazy to switch to a glide to see if it works in this car though.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kp
If I had the time to commit to a race series I would bolt some AFR 205s on the car and run that class. Little more weight moved from the front to the rear and a little more agressive tune and it would be competitive I think, especially since they never have a full field I hate pushing the car on the trailer so I try to keep good parts on the driveline, also helps you to get to the starting line every time but it costs a little power.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Nothing TOO exotic, but just a plain old good combination. I mean 9-10 cars, gotta be fun to atleast 100% guaranteed to MAKE it to rounds, haha.

The funny thing, is that I wonder how things will be for next year, in regards to parts allowed. Like if they will allow the Dart's in along with the AFR's and the Edelbrock stuff.

Add a 78mm fast/78mm fast TB, do you think it'd would help at all over the LS6 I thought you were running now?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TrakDay
So you are able to build boost with the Procharger on a transbrake? That is some good news considering I am basically instlaling the same setup right now!

Very nice times by the way!
Sure, car is at WOT, bypass is closed and on the brake my converter will hit around 5000rpm. I will use a two step to hold it around 35-4500 so it doesnt blow the tires away like it did in the video on not so good tracks, in the video that was just floored until the RPM stopped climbing and letting it go. Needs to be on a way better track to take advantage of that..
Old 07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
8 Second Club

Bro-what kind of IAT temps do you see in weather like that?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
That's exactly what I was thinking. Nothing TOO exotic, but just a plain old good combination. I mean 9-10 cars, gotta be fun to atleast 100% guaranteed to MAKE it to rounds, haha.

The funny thing, is that I wonder how things will be for next year, in regards to parts allowed. Like if they will allow the Dart's in along with the AFR's and the Edelbrock stuff.

Add a 78mm fast/78mm fast TB, do you think it'd would help at all over the LS6 I thought you were running now?
The intake and TB would be a waste of money IMO. They may let the dart 205s in if Dart submits them. The 225s will measure around 230cc so no way those will work (221cc max), easier to just pick up a set of 205 AFRs, not a whole bunch of performance different in them with a FI car.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vortech
Bro-what kind of IAT temps do you see in weather like that?
About 100 degrees staging up to 127-130 at the end of the 1/8, its hard not to get heated up doing a burnout and moving the car up through the staging lanes on a hot day..
Old 07-24-2006, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that is sweet, I was talkin to ol Tom about it yesterday, glad you had a good time, awesome ET and great MPH.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Have you ever considered going to an air/water intecooler (with ice)? That might help take the heat out of the equation some.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

I think kevin is trying to maximize his combo while not spending so much money that it would be more feasible to change blowers etc.
Awesome times Kev. Dont tear it apart until we get a good cool snap...see what shes got!!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
Have you ever considered going to an air/water intecooler (with ice)? That might help take the heat out of the equation some.
I have thought about it, but having to put ice in every pass seems too much like work. Maybe if I still drank a lot of beer at the track the ice thing would have more merit

I could do meth but I have had some bad experiences with it in the past, its fine for a street car thats tuned on the safe side but trying to tune close to the edge and be consistant as well seems to be a bit of a pain. Even though I will admit I never tried one of the newer proportional systems.

Plus this IC is about as efficient as a house brick I think, its great when its cooler out since its a big heavy heat sink and will stay cool for a while, but once it gets hot it stays hot for a long time as well.

No doubt an A2W with would be the way to go but thats another tank, pump hoses etc. Be easier (and cheaper) just to hit it with a 100 shot of nitrous
Old 07-24-2006, 08:16 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
I think kevin is trying to maximize his combo while not spending so much money that it would be more feasible to change blowers etc.
Awesome times Kev. Dont tear it apart until we get a good cool snap...see what shes got!!!!
I'm going to leave it for a while, I was going to do the turbo but I'm having second thoughts about it. Getting burned out on working on the thing and it runs OK, every time I touch it lately I just end up adding more weight
Old 07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
9 Second Club

lol...i hear you on adding more weight. I am trying to break 4000 even!!! Leave it...run it and enjoy it for a bit so you dont get burned out on it.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
lol...i hear you on adding more weight. I am trying to break 4000 even!!! Leave it...run it and enjoy it for a bit so you dont get burned out on it.
Yea, there is a lot of things I can do still but I'm sick of throwing money in the car. Most of the spring I spent doing the roll cage, relocating battery, cutoff switch and other safety stuff so its a lot of work to make the car run slower really but its somewhat legal now at least. Not to mention at this point 'little' gains are going to cost big money. Luckily I do all the work myself so at least I dont have to pay labor but just about anything I need costs over 500.00 now. I dont mind the cost if I feel its worth it but the ET per dollar gain tends to drop the faster the car gets and most of the easy and cheap stuff is done and over with lol.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear ya Kev, doing your own work really saves the wallet, plus its sooo much better when you reap the rewards of an awesome performing car.

It'll go 8's in cooler weather, i'd just leave it alone and wait for fall to come around....I hear there is a green T/A that might go 8's as well.....be a nice race procharger against turbocharger

Keep up the great work Kev, a ton of us really look foward to your progress, it gives us something to look up to.
J
Old 07-25-2006, 01:42 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I hear ya Kev, doing your own work really saves the wallet, plus its sooo much better when you reap the rewards of an awesome performing car.

It'll go 8's in cooler weather, i'd just leave it alone and wait for fall to come around....I hear there is a green T/A that might go 8's as well.....be a nice race procharger against turbocharger

Keep up the great work Kev, a ton of us really look foward to your progress, it gives us something to look up to.
J
I'm lucky enough to have the time to work on it, saving money is secondary though, I'm just pretty picky and want stuff done my way and there is only one way to get that really. Even though its easy to get sick of it after a while..

I dont think it will go 8s with the D1 at this weight, I need to do something with the fuel system before it gets down there. I dont think anyone has gone 8s with dual in-tank walbros..
Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

amzing kp, gonna be ever more sick when the weather gets cool