Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

blower + turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blower + turbo

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/

can someone tell me why this was locked...the link that was posted by the mod who locked it helped me none. I am only looking for other peoples opinions on this...thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

If you search there are other threads on compounding boost, its probably not worth doing unless you need extreemly high psi for some reason, more than a ls1 can handle.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

its different than compounding two turbos though...maybe it was misunderstood by the mod and that is why it was locked..

when a blower and a turbo are present on one engine you have the best of both worlds. it gives the low end grunt the roots style blowers do plus the high end power that turbos deliver. The blower will cut out a lot sooner than the turbo will thus only boosting as much as the turbo will produce. This is how a lot of detroit desiels were built on the larger trucks.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

But it also takes away a lot more power spinning the blower and the turbo, and I think your low end grunt wouldn't really be that great - are you having trouble spooling a single 70? It should be pretty damn quick already!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
But it also takes away a lot more power spinning the blower and the turbo, and I think your low end grunt wouldn't really be that great - are you having trouble spooling a single 70? It should be pretty damn quick already!
No problem spooling it, although it is rearmounted at the moment I do have everything to move it up front. When I switch it to the front is when I wanted to try the blower on top of it also.
Why are you thinking it would take away from the bottom end?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try it and tell us how it worked out.

Really don't see the need for compound charging on a rather large displacement V8 that revs to more than 3k. Yeah a big rig truck engine needs the low end grunt to get 38-48 thousand LB's moving and the high end power to keep it all going, a 3500lb F body...no.

Plus packaging a roots blower on an F body while feasible is just a plain hassle, add in a turbo and it just gets to be a bad idea.

A properly set up turbo OR supercharger set up will get you all the power you can ever use.

I'm pretty sure it was locked due to it being gimmicky like an electric super/turbocharger idea.

But don't let us hold you back, do it and post up the results.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Plus packaging a roots blower on an F body while feasible is just a plain hassle, add in a turbo and it just gets to be a bad idea.

A properly set up turbo [B
OR[/B] supercharger set up will get you all the power you can ever use.

I understand what you saying but let me bring up another point. Nothing will rev as fast as or give you as much power at that low of an rpm as a roots blower. Not a centrifical not a turbo. The roots die off a lot faster also whereas a turbo or centrical would keep on producing power. That is why the turbo is on there to keep the powerband climbing just as rapidly.

I may have stumbled across something that will make install a roots blower a whole lot easier. That is why I am eager to see what others think of the idea.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you have to do is go for it. Do it. I say this in a good friendly manner.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
All you have to do is go for it. Do it. I say this in a good friendly manner.
Haha...I'm not meaning to sound like I am arguing with the other guys about this..I just want to get out everything I know and am hoping for so I can hear the comments and others knowledge about this subject. Sorry if its comming out like that when I bring up another point after one of you say something.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to do this with a Magnacharger M-90 on my 4.8, it doesn't boost fast enough for me (dang little motor ), but haven't found one cheap enough yet.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the main advantages of a turbo is the amount of power it saps from the motor to drive it. With a turbo blowing through a roots blower, you would still be using crank power to drive the blower so you wouldn't see any advantage from the turbo.

Mike
Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 PM
NKAWTG...N

The other thread was mainly locked since it has been discussed before and it appeared you showed no effort to use the search button.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=compound

that thread covered alot of compound charging.

and here is thread on sequential turbo's just in case your train of thought leads you to that next:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=compound
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM
NKAWTG...N

Not to rain on your parade...but that has been thought of a while ago. If you have the money to make that work then more power to you. If you have the genious to make it fit then I will be impressed. If you actually do it...well I guess I'd be just plain stumped on why when you could easily go faster, while spending less and not causing yourself so many troubles, with a regular turbo, supercharger, or nitrous setup.

Originally Posted by fletchls1
I understand what you saying but let me bring up another point. Nothing will rev as fast as or give you as much power at that low of an rpm as a roots blower. Not a centrifical not a turbo. The roots die off a lot faster also whereas a turbo or centrical would keep on producing power. That is why the turbo is on there to keep the powerband climbing just as rapidly.

I may have stumbled across something that will make install a roots blower a whole lot easier. That is why I am eager to see what others think of the idea.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Not to rain on your parade...but that has been thought of a while ago. If you have the money to make that work then more power to you. If you have the genious to make it fit then I will be impressed. If you actually do it...well I guess I'd be just plain stumped on why when you could easily go faster, while spending less and not causing yourself so many troubles, with a regular turbo, supercharger, or nitrous setup.
Naw, naw, you see, you got it all wrong! If one form of forced induction is good, then two is better. Common sense, see?

Quick Reply: blower + turbo