Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Non-intercooled ok for lower boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-intercooled ok for lower boost?

Well, finally got an Eaton roots blower for the TA. Kinda needing opinions on if I should try to make an intercooler fit under it or not. I plan on only running 4 or 5 psi so it shouldn't overheat too much. Let me know.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Its more of your opinion whether you would want to take chance on that or not. Id think it would be okay to run as long as you didnt run the ***** off of it. But its always a good thing to have a heat exchanger or intercooler.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should design in an intercooler. Once you taste the boost you are going to want "just a few more pounds"! Then the IC will help the setup live a while...

Jim
Old 08-15-2006, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

I don't know how you could fit a big one in there though, it is a pretty small space under the cowl of an fbody. I'm kinda havin a hard time figuring how to transfer all the stock MAP sensor and the other random fittings on the back over to the blower manifold. I just gotta find some picture that tells what each is.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Go with an alky control system and plumb it to inject in the intake but past the MAF

That'll really help out and be easy to package.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Go with an alky control system and plumb it to inject in the intake but past the MAF

Thats exactly what I was thinking. This would be the easiest thing to do, especially with the limited amount of space that you are going to encounter. Bob
Old 08-16-2006, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHRISPY

Agree. I did it. the IAT went from 180 to 80 F at WOT in summer @ 5 PSI (Vortech).
Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

I don't know how those work, but is alky injected based on % of throttle or is it more constant.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
FormerVendor

You would have to make the alky so it would inject past the blower so it doesnt effect the blower.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ashes
I don't know how those work, but is alky injected based on % of throttle or is it more constant.
there are different models: fix flow, 2 steps, proportional to TPS and also proportional to MAF.

I'd say keep it simple... 4 - 5 PSI are not a lot.
I have a fix system that kicks in at 2 PSI, 50% ethanol + 50 % distilled water.
5 GPH @ 100 PSI.
AFR is set at 12.5 without alcohol and it goes 11.9 - 12 with alcohol.
Pretty constant up to 6000 rpm. So, in my case, a fix system is OK.

I use the windshield tank: in the mixture I put some drop of concentrated soap. Perfect for the windshield and no problem for WI.
I would say it helps to get smaller droplets in the spray too (faster evaporation).
Old 08-17-2006, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

So tici, you use that ethanal/distilled water mixture to cool your intake temps? How well does that mixture work? Have you tried it with more or less distilled water, like 40/60 mixture?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will find a bunch of posts under "alkyl" or "WI" or "water injection".
I have some links too, if you want.
You can build the system yourself or buy a complete solution: there are at least 5-6 companies on the market.

It cools down the charge air evaporating liquids. Depending on where the droplets evaporate you cool the air, the manifold or the heads. Probably a little everything
You can use water, ethanol or methanol. Everything is good. Ethanol and methanol will consume some oxygen too: the AFR goes a little on the richer side.
Those alcohols increase the octane level too, which is a good thing.
Some say one is better than the other... 50% methanol + 50% water is a very common mixture. I use ethanol because I can get it for free where I work
People running 20 PSI or more will find out that a certain mixture is better than the other, but for our few PSI I think it doesn't really matter.
100% alcohol burns pretty well! Another reason for me to stay at 50%.
Water has to be distilled: the nozzle is in the hot air stream and every liquid in there will evaporate. Tap water would fill the nozzle with dried salts in no time.
For the system you need plastic, brass or stainless steel. Forget aluminum because it gets corroded in no time.

You wrote you have an Eaton: is it installed directly on the engine, like the Magnusson? Or is it on the side?
On the side it's OK because you can inject your stuff in a single air stream that will be divided between the cylinders.
If you have something like the Mag the position of the nozzle is critical because you risk to spray only in certain cylinders.
To spray before the compressor... I know it has be done. Dunno if successfully. Better ask on a Vette forum. They are used to roots SC.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

I am really getting close to just switching from premium to E85 just because of the cooling benefit. It really doesn't sound like destroys your engine as much as some people will say. As far as the Eaton, it will be mounted on top like the Magnusson but the intake port is on the back side. I am still drawing up a 3d model first before I fab anything and then ill start machining parts for the manifold and intake. I work in Engineering and R&D, so I have quite a large selection of tools and machines to work with. Hopfully I can get a model that works in an Fbody without cutting the cowl much and start making it. If it acually works good, I might make more if someone is willing to pay. I leave for college next week, my plan is to finish the design by the end of my first term and produce the first prototype over my xmas break when I come back home. I'll be posting updates once I get settled down in the dormrooms.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

There was another roots blower guy on here recently that made a sheet metal intake that fit under the cowl nicely. Hes still doin testing but maybe you can contact him for pointers.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alkyl destroys nothing... it's just that if you relay 100% power enrichment and/or cooling on that, each failure means a new engine!

Quick Reply: Non-intercooled ok for lower boost?