Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gathering correct parts for my build... few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Gathering correct parts for my build... few questions

So i'm getting ready to order the STS from TRT soon. Looking to do it correct the first time. I don't want to skimp. To clarify i'll be going with the stage 3 with a few changes to it, nothing big. That included FMIC, t-67 (still thinking possibly upgrading to t-70), 60 lb inj, 255 walbro w/hotwire kit, t bolt clamps, etc.. Now for the few questions i have....

Valvetrain... i know to prevent valvefloat i'm going with the patriot gold dual springs and hardened pushrods. However...

1.) Should i also get a timing set? Double roller chain, etc? Also what about a ported oil pump? I know they cant hurt of course but will i need them is the question? Still havent decided if i'll be popping a turbo cam in or not

2.) Will the timing set only be needed if i get a cam or should i get it anyway?

Next concern is the dreaded STS PCV problem..... it seems like everyone is having a problem with this and ends up modifying it. I don't want to have a problem so i mise well mod it while installing correct to prevent any problems? The question is....

3.) What should i do? Cathcan, breather.. i'm not educated on this so if someone could help me with what needs to be done would be great!

Transmission - Yes i'll be on the stock 4l60-e, which i understand could be on borrowed time. I need a stall to get the most out of the STS. Currently looking at the Yank SS3200 to suit me best. Tranny cooler and trans temp guage will go in as well.

4.) Does the 3200 2.1 STR seem like a good matching stall for the turbo? any better suggestions?

BOV...

5.) I am an auto yes i hear when getting into bigger boost, a BOV should still be done on an auto. My question is... Will anything be bad with having a BOV on an auto... I know that its not when Manuals let off throttle to shift and the TB blade closes, it lets off and helps turbo life, etc. I know i wont be letting off the throttle since i'm an auto but should i still look into one? BTW, it's currently on my list from TRT in my order....

I think this pretty much covers it. It should be a great start to a stout STS set up IMO. I think i'm covering most of the weak links here, any other suggestions are appreciated. I've got the kit covered with necessary upgrades, valvetrain, fuel, trans. Rear and suspension will come a little later for the track results that not many see out of the STS. Will be starting with a .6 bar spring in the waste gate to achieve ~8 psi.

Thanks for helping me out fellas! I promise i'll have the build done soon! LOL

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-30-2006, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

bump?

Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

read the other thread about how much it really costs for a boosted setup a few threads down,might help clear up 1 or 2 questions
Old 08-30-2006, 08:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok jsut read it. So i guess i should probably look into a timing set and oil pump.... How necessary for my build would you guys say though? Need a double roller? main concern is how i should "fix" the PCV system before i install it? What are you guys doing that i should just do from the start?

Old 08-30-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superman09
ok jsut read it. So i guess i should probably look into a timing set and oil pump.... How necessary for my build would you guys say though? Need a double roller? main concern is how i should "fix" the PCV system before i install it? What are you guys doing that i should just do from the start?

glad my thread helped you out, since you have a 99 car i would change the oil pump, the 98-99 have worse oil pumps then the 01-02, also if your changing ur cam,springs or oil pump (i say the oil pump because if you take ur pump off it would only take a few mintues to then change the timing chain), you should change the timing chain, the last thing u want is to beak a chain and have ur valves smash into your pistons.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

so which chain... do i need a double roller? Would it be way easier if i did ALL the valvetrain stuff at once?

Old 08-30-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

if u do a cam u should do springs pushrods retainers all at once...and since the cover is off you might as well do an oil pump and timing set since its all right there.if u dont do a cam u could get away with springs and pushrods
Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So i'm getting ready to order the STS from TRT soon. Looking to do it correct the first time. I don't want to skimp. To clarify i'll be going with the stage 3 with a few changes to it, nothing big. That included FMIC, t-67 (still thinking possibly upgrading to t-70), 60 lb inj, 255 walbro w/hotwire kit, t bolt clamps, etc.. Now for the few questions i have....
Get the 70, get it over.
Valvetrain... i know to prevent valvefloat i'm going with the patriot gold dual springs and hardened pushrods. However...

1.) Should i also get a timing set? Double roller chain, etc? Also what about a ported oil pump? I know they cant hurt of course but will i need them is the question? Still havent decided if i'll be popping a turbo cam in or not
Stock cam will be okay...and the oil pump, while a great idea, is not as important as the timing chain..just and ls2 chain is a step up!

2.) Will the timing set only be needed if i get a cam or should i get it anyway?

Next concern is the dreaded STS PCV problem..... it seems like everyone is having a problem with this and ends up modifying it. I don't want to have a problem so i mise well mod it while installing correct to prevent any problems? The question is....

3.) What should i do? Cathcan, breather.. i'm not educated on this so if someone could help me with what needs to be done would be great!
Metco valve cover breather should be fine... send your return oil into a bung in the oil pan.

Transmission - Yes i'll be on the stock 4l60-e, which i understand could be on borrowed time. I need a stall to get the most out of the STS. Currently looking at the Yank SS3200 to suit me best. Tranny cooler and trans temp guage will go in as well.

Good choice on converter is my guess...ask TRT...the tranny will be junk soon.. so build it before you wreck the pricey converter... I know peeps will do a ggod job for under 1k.

4.) Does the 3200 2.1 STR seem like a good matching stall for the turbo? any better suggestions?
I had that converter..no good above 550 tq for me (you prob wont ever see that much) , as it stalled way too high.
BOV...

5.) I am an auto yes i hear when getting into bigger boost, a BOV should still be done on an auto. My question is... Will anything be bad with having a BOV on an auto... I know that its not when Manuals let off throttle to shift and the TB blade closes, it lets off and helps turbo life, etc. I know i wont be letting off the throttle since i'm an auto but should i still look into one? BTW, it's currently on my list from TRT in my order....
GET IT, especially if this is a daily driver...no BOV will prematurelly wear the turbo.

I think this pretty much covers it. It should be a great start to a stout STS set up IMO. I think i'm covering most of the weak links here, any other suggestions are appreciated. I've got the kit covered with necessary upgrades, valvetrain, fuel, trans. Rear and suspension will come a little later for the track results that not many see out of the STS. Will be starting with a .6 bar spring in the waste gate to achieve ~8 psi.

Thanks for helping me out fellas! I promise i'll have the build done soon! LOL
see my answers in red above.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

awesome, thanks a lot Jammer..... so basically.... no cam, ust stick with pushrods and springs, if i do the cam, also do timing set and fuel pump? Thanks a lot!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome, thanks a lot Jammer..... so basically.... no cam, ust stick with pushrods and springs, if i do the cam, also do timing set and oil pump? Thanks a lot!

u mean oil pump right? if u do have the time and money u can never have to much safety and the oil pump and timing chain will give you that
Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

haha yea, oil.... duh. I'm going to see after i order what i have left. If i have enough extra for cam, timing chain, and pump, i will def do it... However, that could also be a lot towards a good trans rebuild...... what to do what to do... so many parts, not enough money, lol. Just looking to get a good solid start in this and continue upgrading as i go along of course to come to my final product.

For the PCV, just make a bung in my oil pan and send the oil return there and add a breather and i'm set?

BOV is a yes... any other stall suggestions?

Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Also agree on getting the T-70

1.) Get an LS2 chain and a better oil pump, anything is better than the pump that came in the car, that's for sure.

2.) The timing set is really cheap insurance to be honest, VERY cheap insurance.

3.) I run a breather on mine, bought a catch can and running it to the intake side of the turbo (yes, that's a long way, but it will ALWAYS create a vacuum condition in the crankcase, never boost.

4.) I'm a manual guy, but from what I've heard, with massive amounts of torque, they are way too loose. Wish I could make a recommendation, but I really dont know. Oh... DO NOT, whatever you do... BOOST into overdrive from 3rd, it'll murder it instantly.

5.) Get a blow off valve, especially for a DD. I bought one, yes it was expensive, pain in the *** to find a good spot to mount it, but look at the cost of replacing a turbo from premature failure?! Makes a damn cool sound too!!!
I posted up for ya, hope my opinion means SOMETHING other than ****! =) Good luck, TRT is the place to go for the kit, take recommendations from them, they know their stuff!
Old 08-31-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just start doing something ive seen you post the same questions for about a year now!

if your asking your self if you should get , GET it!

get a ported oil pump & dbl roller is only 119 bucks from texas speed.....
Old 08-31-2006, 06:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok i'm getting it, just making sure i also get all the extra necessities off the get go as well Thanks for the help guys! Everyone keeps saying LS2 chain.... This okay or would a double roller be better, or not needed?

Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the LS2 chain, it works fine and fits with no hassle. I dont see a need for a double roller chain unless you are spinning serious rpm. The LS2 chain is put in engines with a 6500 rpm redline, which is what I spin to.

I would go with a new oil pump. I bought an LS6 for 65$ and ported it myself. Works great, holds good oil pressure.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok good deal, thanks. Also for oil pump.... SLP's, reg LS6, or a ported LS6 from TSP?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to port it yourself just buy one from GM and do it; otherwise get one already ported from a site sponsor.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well how hard is it to port the oil pump? whats involved....

Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think there are a few threads about it in the internal section. It is not too hard; I did it with a dremel tool. It is mainly smoothing out the outlet that I did. I did not change the spring pressure with a shim.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jammer you drilled oil pan and sent return to there? Does the standard sts valve cover return setup not work?