Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Breaking Piston

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking Piston

I was wondering if it is possible to break a piston on an 04 Mach 1, that has an ati Procharger, borla exhaust, and no cats. All the internals were stock. The weird part is, the car only had 1100 miles on it, and only 100 were with the supercharger. The Kid got the car and was racing everything left and right. Basically speaking, he was driving the hell out it. The car was tuned and was believed to be making somewhere around 7psi, (i am not sure on hp rating and torque). I know its not an ls1, but maybe you guys can clear stuff up for me.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I cracked two cylinder heads with ati procharger @ 8psi on my old motor (ls1) with stock internals, so yes. Anything is possible when your trying to make more power.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

I popped my forged 408 on 9psi, had a fuel pump problem on a wot run and cracked 1 piston down to the ringland, had pitting on another. The ringland piston didn't actually come apart till the motor cooled down when I started it the next morning so no real damage was done as I turned the car off right away
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I posted a thread earlier telling this story, about my friends mach 1 breaking a piston, and everyone was like saying that impossible. They kept on telling me i was making this up. It was not my car, and i never talked to the mechanic that checked it out. However, this is what my friend told me, and as of right now he is trying to get it fixed.

He is trying to get the dealer to pay for it because he had the car for a week and a half, and it broke. However, they said it would cost about $7,000 and the warranty does not cover "engine abuse". A performance shop (the shop that put the supercharger on for the previous owner) told him that they could re do the engine with all performance internals, rig up his suspension to handle the power, and retune it with higher boost for around 5000 to 6000.

I trying to ask around for him, and see if it is worth trying to bargain with the dealership (possibly going to court). Or if he should just go with the performance shops deal because he would have to put new internals in anyways. Will his stock internals keep on breaking?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Going to court would probably work against your friend. lol If he modded it he voided the warranty (if it came with one). The dealership has nothing to do with the car breaking. It was a combination of the extra power from the ATI and your friends lead foot, none of which is covered under warranty.

Seeing as how theres no warranty on the car now I'd think your best bet is to go with the performance shop. I'd shop around though, thats a lot of dough to be spending.

Last edited by dementia; 09-13-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

my suggestion is if he put 100 miles on the car from the time they put the SC'er on and it broke within 100 miles, they must have fucked something up in the tune.

I would hold the motorsport company liable for that.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motorsport company cannot be liable. If you signed the bill when you picked up the car, you jsut signed a contract leaving the shop with no liability. To say it was the tune is wrong w/o knowing a thing about what happened. fuel problems, maybe he put in 87oct. when he left not knowing any better. A lot of things could have happened.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Motorsport company cannot be liable. If you signed the bill when you picked up the car, you jsut signed a contract leaving the shop with no liability. To say it was the tune is wrong w/o knowing a thing about what happened. fuel problems, maybe he put in 87oct. when he left not knowing any better. A lot of things could have happened.
well how is it any fault to the purchaser?

thats the only thing that I can think of that he would have control over (the owner of the car). either that or he just overheat the **** out of the motor.

Everything else would either fall under the worksmanship, tune, or failure of parts right?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Or the fact that he was "racing everything left and right". Maybe he missed 3rd and slipped it into 1st. Maybe he was bouncing it off the rev limiter. I'm no stang expert but maybe mach1's cant handle 7psi with the stock fuel setup. Perhaps it was making more than the 7psi they "believed" it to be making. Who knows. If the kid was trashing it at every stop light then I wouldnt expect it to last long.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

A guy here where i live had almost the same setup on his mach 1. Took it to the track and got on it too much and it started shooting oil out of the exhaust.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, the thing is the car came with the supercharger on it. It was actually the Dealerships owner's car (if that makes sense). I think he ownes three really big lots in the Oklahoma City area. I am not sure about all the miles on the car, but i know for a fact it had less than 2000 miles total. The guy (Joe Cooper, if anyone lives around this area), just decided to sell it because he never drove it. They told me he took it to the track once or twice and drove it around town a few times.

I told him, that i think they should shoot for the dealership fixing it free of charge (I mean he had the car less than a month), but if that is not possible just have it let the performance shop rebuilt it.

It is kind of a shame, because it really looks nice and clean. The power was really great.
Check out the pics of the Mach 1 and my camaro here
Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

He might want to read all the paperwork he got from the dealer if he bought it with the SC on it...Interesting situation though
Old 09-13-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

That is an interesting situation. I still think the warranty would be voided though, I mean he may have gotten a big price break but since he put it on himself and it didnt come from the factory with the charger on it I think Ford will still treat it as an aftermarket mod.