Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Final round of mods, I think thats about it lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Final round of mods, I think thats about it lol

Decided to quit playing the stock PCM game and switched over a BS3 last week while I was replacing the head gaskets. I was more or less sick of buying unleaded 104 race gas @ 8.00 a gallon after getting raped for shipping a drum. It was either run the unleaded gas or go through a couple sets of O2s a year. Plus having a 98 I was kinda screwed with tuning choices, even though the HPT 2bar worked I was havng some minor issues with it on the restarts. For what I sold the stock PCM tuning stuff, 2 step, injector driver box and stock PCM and harness it was pretty much a wash cost wise on the BS3.

Kept the stock computer in the car for the gauges and speedo (cost me 6lbs but worth it IMO), just took out all the unneeded wires. Came out looking pretty nice. Had the car runing and did a quick tune and all is well, just sent the box back to get the firmware upgraded, it was a pretty old ECU, Hopefully everything else holds up for a couple dozen more passes now that some decent weather is coming. It really sucks to work on the car all summer (roll cage, trans brake, new cam, new exhaust, new high $$ fuel system etc) and not run any quicker then the first time I had it out in March with the z06 cam and hooker catback lol.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was that trans dipstick tube? Is it extended or built that long?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
How much was that trans dipstick tube? Is it extended or built that long?
Its built that long, Lokar has it in their catalog, its just not the one thats normally sold for a TH400 thats way too short.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Awsome Kev........ one of these days id like to step up to BS3 also.... but no need yet...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Nice, so you removed a bunch of wires from the harness?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kp
Its built that long, Lokar has it in their catalog, its just not the one thats normally sold for a TH400 thats way too short.
Thanks. Ive got 2 of the regular ones for TH350's and multiple wounds on the back of my hands, lol.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:05 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Awsome Kev........ one of these days id like to step up to BS3 also.... but no need yet...
I didnt really need to either but with an add on 2 step and add on low-z injector driver there was just getting to be too many wires. Plus I wanted individual cylinder control. It was a hard decision to get rid of the stock computer for me since it worked so well..

I just went through and removed all the wires out of the engine harness that wasnt needed John, there is only maybe 20 wires going to the stock PCM now.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have a base tune in it for a blown LS1 or something? How does the programming work in that sucker? Is it somewhat similar to edit or HPtuners?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Motorboater

you have way too much time on your hands Kev. lol.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:48 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Do you have a base tune in it for a blown LS1 or something? How does the programming work in that sucker? Is it somewhat similar to edit or HPtuners?
You pretty much have to make your own tune. Since I worked with FAST and DFI stuff quite a bit its all more or less the same. The BS3 has closed loop wideband correction so that helps, I like to get the correction down to nothing so that takes a little bit. The transient fuel takes the longest to get perfect but since its real time tuning it doesnt take that long. You also have to find TDC and make sure the timing is correct but since I had the heads off and have an indexed ATI balancer that wasnt a big deal and now I know exactly where my timing is.

You can download the software and play with it, its really pretty simple compared to a Gen7 software-wise but the BS3 hardware is the best for an LS1 IMO.

Quick Reply: Final round of mods, I think thats about it lol