Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

H/C ZO6....possibly going F/I ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C ZO6....possibly going F/I ????'s

Hey guys, I'm currently a bolt-on heads/cam/Fast Zo6 and have been contemplating going to an A&A Vortech kit....

I have a few questions for all:

Given the chance would you go back N/A due to reliabilty/gremlin issues?

I'm currently running TSP CNC'ed LS6 heads on stock comp. which have approx. 235cc runners....how would these affect intake velocity with a blower? Negative or positive impact?

Would retaining my Fast 90mm be a positve or negative mod for the blower?

Guys, I really do appreciate the help as this is a difficult decision.Obviously I'm worried about my head setup in conjunction with a blower and just F/I gremlins in general..

Alan
Old 10-14-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my setup for about 6months and so far I love it. I would not go back to NA unless for something like an ls2 402 or 427.

If I remember correctly, the z06 has stock compression of around 11:1 or so. There are many blown z06's running around with 8-9lbs of boost pushing 600rwhp. However, you have to be prepared for your motor to let go at anytime at those power levels. You could always play it safer at first and try 5-6lbs and you would still be in the 500rwhp range no problem.

Not sure about the 3rd ?, but you may want to check out corvette forums. There are many blown z06's over there.

I was worried about my old higher compression ported heads as well, so I had them swapped out for ported blower heads. Right now I'm not seeing any benefit from them (powerwise), but that will be a different story once I go forged and 14lbs of boost.

Good luck.

Gary
Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Couple of things..
1) You didnt mention your cam specs. Thats very importannt in choosing wether or not it will work with F/I.

2) No matter what you do your gonna be limited in boost due to your CR.
If I were you, I would sell your LS6 heads and go with a set of LQ9's. This would help bring your CR down to somewhat of a respectable level.
Everything else is fine.

Now on to the A&A setup.
Dont bother with that setup. Its total junk, and Andy's a fuking crook.
His kit is designed for maximum profits. He uses thin brackets, cheap plastic GM idlers, among other things.

His motors that he sells??? They are built out of state. He never even see's the damn thing. If you knew how many people have had bad motors you would be amazed. I have a buddy that had a motor last 700 miles. Before he fixed it, he damn near threatned the customer, telling him that if he mentioned on the forums that the motor was bad, he wouldnt help him. But if he didn't he would replace it. Thats what he does. He keeps it a secret so no one knows.
But I can tell you this. The forged A&A motors that he sells are the cheapest you can find, built from a machine shop with the WORST track record you have ever seen.

He ripped me off of OVER 23,000 dollars last year. He sold me what was "Supposed" to be an LS6 motor, and it turned out to be a 1997 USED LS1 block with forged internals. The ENTIRE setup lasted 2000 miles.

He also , continually revises his kit, the tries to charge you 400-1000 dollars everytime he changes a few things.

I'm sure I will get pretty heavily flamed for talking about A&A like this. Its typically from his supportes that live in/around his area.

Dont get me wrong, he will ALWAYS answer his phone. But then he makes you feel like your bothering him, because he's constantly telling you how many cars he has in the shop. The only thing is, is he doesnt even work on ANY of the cars.

Sorry for the long post, It just makes me sick to my stomach when I see someone mention going with a P.O.S. A&A kit.

You would be AMAZED at how many guys talk about Andy behind the scenes on the CF. Even the guys who he thinks are his allies(Spelling??) actually think he's a rip off. The only problem is, is every time a thread comes up that is bad about Andy he complains and has the thread locked. So everyone is forced to talk "Behind the scenes.""

Go with the PROVEN ECS kit. Its by far the BEST centrifugal S/C kit out there for the C5.

Originally Posted by wavrdr
Hey guys, I'm currently a bolt-on heads/cam/Fast Zo6 and have been contemplating going to an A&A Vortech kit....

I have a few questions for all:

Given the chance would you go back N/A due to reliabilty/gremlin issues?

I'm currently running TSP CNC'ed LS6 heads on stock comp. which have approx. 235cc runners....how would these affect intake velocity with a blower? Negative or positive impact?

Would retaining my Fast 90mm be a positve or negative mod for the blower?

Guys, I really do appreciate the help as this is a difficult decision.Obviously I'm worried about my head setup in conjunction with a blower and just F/I gremlins in general..

Alan

Last edited by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng; 10-14-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

^ wow
Old 10-14-2006, 07:06 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Couple of things..
1) You didnt mention your cam specs. Thats very importannt in choosing wether or not it will work with F/I.

If I were you, I would sell your LS6 heads and go with a set of LQ9's. This would help bring your CR down to somewhat of a respectable level.
Everything else is fine.

Now on to the A&A setup.
His kit is designed for maximum profits. He uses thin brackets, cheap plastic GM idlers, among other things.

His motors that he sells??? They are built out of state. He never even see's the damn thing. If you knew how many people have had bad motors you would be amazed. I have a buddy that had a motor last 700 miles. Before he fixed it, he damn near threatned the customer, telling him that if he mentioned on the forums that the motor was bad, he wouldnt help him. But if he didn't he would replace it. Thats what he does. He keeps it a secret so no one knows.
But I can tell you this. The forged A&A motors that he sells are the cheapest you can find, built from a machine shop with the WORST track record you have ever seen.

He ripped me off of OVER 23,000 dollars last year. He sold me what was "Supposed" to be an LS6 motor, and it turned out to be a 1997 USED LS1 block with forged internals. The ENTIRE setup lasted 2000 miles.

He also , continually revises his kit, the tries to charge you 400-1000 dollars everytime he changes a few things.

I'm sure I will get pretty heavily flamed for talking about A&A like this. Its typically from his supportes that live in/around his area.

Dont get me wrong, he will ALWAYS answer his phone. But then he makes you feel like your bothering him, because he's constantly telling you how many cars he has in the shop. The only thing is, is he doesnt even work on ANY of the cars.

Sorry for the long post, It just makes me sick to my stomach when I see someone mention going with a P.O.S. A&A kit.

You would be AMAZED at how many guys talk about Andy behind the scenes on the CF. Even the guys who he thinks are his allies(Spelling??) actually think he's a rip off. The only problem is, is every time a thread comes up that is bad about Andy he complains and has the thread locked. So everyone is forced to talk "Behind the scenes.""

Go with the PROVEN ECS kit. Its by far the BEST centrifugal S/C kit out there for the C5.
Wow bro-this is eb02z06 from the CF forum-I'm glad you posted this but what led to all of this? It's a shame that you had to lose that much money-that's not right. BTW bro did you ever get to a chance to check out the alternative auto website to see how they plumb the meth kit "AFTER" the blower on the KB. And also since where here-is there any heating issues with the KB versus the Centri's in the LV heat?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Vortech
Wow bro-this is eb02z06 from the CF forum-I'm glad you posted this but what led to all of this? It's a shame that you had to lose that much money-that's not right. BTW bro did you ever get to a chance to check out the alternative auto website to see how they plumb the meth kit "AFTER" the blower on the KB. And also since where here-is there any heating issues with the KB versus the Centri's in the LV heat?
Wassup Dude..... This is only HALF the story. If you knew some of the **** that was "Currently" going on you would be amazed.

No more than 5 minutes ago I got a message from a member that having his BRAND NEW motor pissing oil all over the place. I have to call him in about 10 minutes.

PLEASE PLEASE tell me the site you are talking about.. I would LOVE to see it..

Jeff
Old 10-15-2006, 12:06 AM
8 Second Club

Hey Jeff go to the very end of the page and read the article-maybe in give Julio a call.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/misc/...ct_dec-05.html
Old 10-15-2006, 06:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The ATI ProCharger F1C kit that recently came out for the Corvettes would be a great alternative for you. Bob
Old 10-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Launching!

The cam I'm currently running will be swapped as it's a G5X3/114...The heads retain the stock 10.5:1 compression with larger intake runners...

Thanks for the insight on A&A. I have heard that the ECS kit is of better quality and I sent them an e-mail to gather more info on pricing. I'm not concerned with making big power(700+)but I would like to make in the high 500's low 600's.

My current power levels are 462whp/410wtq plus a 100 shot which should put me in the 550whp range.

Thanks to all for the info.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Couple of things..

Everything else is fine.

Now on to the A&A setup.

YIKES!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The ATI ProCharger F1C kit that recently came out for the Corvettes would be a great alternative for you. Bob
BOB to the rescue
Old 10-15-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Been boosted for 3yrs now and will never go back to n/a. And when I get my next car it will get boosted as well. That way I will have 2, cause 2 is always better than one. lol. The gremlins, ehhh... stuff will break, that what it does. Worried about that too much keep the boost low, still a blast...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:40 AM
8 Second Club

What about the overheating issues? Are guys with the ECS kits experiencing any problems? That was my only issue which was helped somewhat by getting a Griffin Rad. The thing i don't understand between the ECS and A&A kit is ECS has a much larger intercooler which covers even more of the infront of the rad. That's why the KB came to mind-no intercooler infront of the rad to interfere with cooling.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

For my account, I would have to agree with American HP.
He is a GM Dealer and I have had a dealer’s license in the past.
The list is long and very long indeed.

I just happen to run into a lot these, “taken,” people due to fact I am a member of multiple large Corvette associations and attend many events. Trust me, it really burns me and some other VIP’s, to no end, when we see someone's dreams ruined and them out a significant amount money to point they have sell their car. This does not contribute to growth in ownership or retention. Plus it makes for very unhappy people.

Here is another thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4072898
You can add me to the been very, "Had," list.

In answer to original question.
I like the ESC KIT, the KB & STS TT due to the quality of the products.
I know the STS TT works really well on a C5 Z06 with a 10.5 and even a C6 Z06 11:1 compression. Keep the boost moderate.
Your cam will have to be changed to reflect a blower or turbo.
Enclosed is a 7 psi. STS TT chart on a stock C5 Z06. 597/573.
Attached Thumbnails H/C ZO6....possibly going F/I ????'s-6685stry-tt-z06-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 10-16-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:49 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Check this Corvette out. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Couple of things..

Now on to the A&A setup.

My own engine was originally done/installed/whatever at A&A, and it goes through a lot of oil. I know I will have to replace it eventually and have come to terms with that. Since I moved to socal, I have become acquainted with a LOT of people that have had major problems with their setup. Some are still customers, and grin and bear it. Others like Jeff, Brent and myself have gone elsewhere for better service and quality control.

My car supposedly has a stage 2 forged shortblock in it, per the previous owner. I will find out exactly what is in their and report back when it is torn down for the heads/cam later this month.

Been there, done that. He said my old bracket was slipping, and that it was junk. I told him that the car had been on a boost-referenced dyno many times and the belt had never ever had a problem. Did not matter. And since I was eager to please him (as opposed to the other way round, can you imagine?) I gave him the go ahead to swap brackets. I asked him to keep the old bracket for me and he said he usually just junks them. I sold it to someone for a decent chunk of change and its running flawlessly.

I usually stay out of this stuff, my own expense at his shop was about a 10th of yours, but I did come away feeling at least a little mistreated. Since my experience there, I have changed just about everything on this setup.

True. My car took about a month to get done (bracket, catchcan and a retune). I gave him a new set of plastic airdam (side pieces) to install for me. He gave them back to me and said he "couldnt" do it. I put them in myself.

I paid for a complete retune on the car and I dont think they did much more than just run it at WOT on the dyno a few times. Granted, I may be wrong here, but I brought it to him because it stumbled a little at part throttle and pinged at wot in the higher gears. Post tune, it still did this. Maybe I should have gone back, but I already felt a little "taken" at this point. I did not get a dyno sheet. WHat I did get was a bill:

1. New MAF-300ish
2. 115 for a piece of intake tubing. The same piece costs about 40 bucks if you go to his supplier.
3. Retune: 650-ish?
4. 100 to install a catchcan.
5. 400 or so for a new bracket, and I think 300 to put it on?

And a few hundred for other odds and ends.

The car was filthy inside and out when I picked it up. THey pulled it off the dyno and handed it to me, I jumped in to take it for a spin and looked at andy thinking he would come along so I could give him some feedback, or he could point out whatever was done, etc. He laughed and said "I aint going!"

When I was presented the bill, I was told "it is what it is" with a shrug.

Im sure some of it is my fault. I should have gotten on his case if I felt things werent right, etc etc. But ****, it was A and fricking A corvette! The corvette gurus! The Gods of all things corvettedom! I literally felt like it was a priviledge to have my car even worked on at the shop. He did me a favor by taking my money!

Anyway, this is my experience with them. I will not go back (though I did attend the BBQ this year and got a burger out of it, so I guess my feelings have been molified to the tune of a double double). I am fortunate to have found a shop that makes me feel like a valued customer (lapd) in addition to doing work of far higher quality.

This is just my own experience with them. I will not air out others greviances with them though I have probably as many stories to tell as Jeff would. He is correct, its mind boggling how much is kept off the forum.

Now Im going to take a deep breath and hit submit, I dont like "bashing" someone but I feel I should make my experience known since it is after all for the greater good of the corvette community.

Oz

Last edited by pakisho; 10-17-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
FormerVendor

Excellant post bro....

There was no bashing what so ever in that post. It was strictly factual and NOT filled with a bunch of anger like mine.

You hit the nail on the head in a few comments. Like the point when he hands you the bill. Its almost like he gets a kick out of watching the person squirm.. Or the part about the car being filthy.. HE STORES ALL OF THE ENGINE PARTS IN YOUR FRONT SEAT AND TRUNK...

Better yet, the part where you feel like you should be blessed by being allowed to let him work on your car. In all actuality its by techs who are literally learning as they go. Hence the reason his employee turnover is ridiculous.

I am glad you posted. Cause it validates my original post.

Good job bro,
Jeff
Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
8 Second Club

Wow guys-thanks for posting. That really does suck. There is only one shop around here-first it was called Agostino's and now it's called Autoworx. I heard enough about them via here and other forums and that was enough for me. I do all my own installs and tuning-wrenching sucks at times but it's gratifying to know i go alot faster with alot less parts than most of the guys up around these parts.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Yup. You either need a shop that you can trust 100% to do the right thing by you, or you gotta do it yourself.

Quick Reply: H/C ZO6....possibly going F/I ????'s