Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

STS twin turbo or Procharger D1SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS twin turbo or Procharger D1SC

Car is a 03 zo6.

Was decided on H/C/I to compliment the nitrous setup, BUT FI has been calling my name last few days.

I am debating the sts twin turbo system for my c5 zo6, OR the new Procharger Stage II kit with the upgraded D1SC.

I had a D1SC on my old cobra and liked it alot. But I am a beleiver that turbos work better and more efficient. But is the STS more efficient and have a better powerband vs the new procharger kit? Thats my main question. Cost is similar on both kits.

Also are the new 4.5 inch intercoolers on the stage II kits good upto 15-16lbs or would I have to convert to single fmic later?

I really like the new APS twin turbo kit but man I just dont have the 7995 price tag for it.

This would be on a stock LS6 with longtubes (tpis ceramic coated) that would get a forged 346 next winter if she held up fine until then.

Zee
Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Please post your reasoning please, very much appreciated.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im still not a fan of the rear mount turbo setups, still in that new uncharted catagory area for me. Prochargers have been around along tiime and are proven performaers. The rear mounts are still kinda hit or miss wheather you will make big power or not, the potenhtial is there, but finding a proven path to get where you want to go is alot trickier. Whereas a procharger setup you can pretty much find a list of exactly what you will need to get to your goals nowadays.

I ended up getting a D1SC for my camaro. This was after a few months of researching different turbo setups. I really wanted a good turbo setup, but the price of what i consider to be a quality kit seemed like too much for just a turbo setup in my eyes.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:50 AM
9 Second Club

Turbos... STS kit has been working without negitive comment (Talking the specific one your looking at)...

I will always say turbo over S/C... Remote mount works fine... just take it into account when building it... coat or wrap your exhaust... everything else is about the same.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

I voted D1SC for numerous reasons. There seems to be no consistent results similar to what STS has shown for dyno results. Also most C5s do not make full boost in 1st or 2nd gear.

Results seem to be overstated and I can dig up numerous dyno sheets for centrifugals that outperform STS in both area under curve and peak HP assuming stock cubes. If you want centrifugal don’t overlook ECS and A&A. If you want turbo then TTI and APS are both good choices although APS is still unproven, but much better choice then STS in every aspect.

I have driven STS F-body cars and was not that impressed and F-body kit works better then C5 kit as a general rule. I’m sure you have heard or read about heat retention requirements when dealing with rear mount. For daily driver STS is a little weak when compared to close coupled turbos. For all out drag car it’s a little different but that’s a purpose built system and has nothing to do with base STS system, except that turbo is in the rear and all fast C5s (low 9s or 8s) are single turbo.

Mike
Old 12-03-2006, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I personally would go with the TT setup. Any reason your choosing a STS over a front mount kit?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted for the twins, but I'm kinda biased. If you had a supercharger, why not try something different? Not sure if you saw the c-5 sts twin turbo build on tv, but if you didn't see it, I'd watch it and that would defininetly help influence your decision. The install is clean and the turbos tuck up and out of the way.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We have had one rear mount kit destroy the turbo when the catalytic converter shot some of it's guts through the exhaust system, and tried to pass them through the rear mount turbo. Catalytic converters do this much more often than most people will ever notice.
I don't like the way STS plumbs the return line back into the right side valve cover. These engines already have a lot of oil upstairs, they don't need anymore trying to drain back into the pan.
I think you should reroute your decision to using either the APS system, or an ATI ProCharger. The APS system may be initially more expensive than the STS kit, but I don't think it would be in the long run.
Check out this C5 with an ATI ProCharger. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

either is going to brake stuff and need future upgrades. either because you want them or the power makes you get them.(breaking ****) the aps kit looks nice and so do some other kits. if you want cost effectiveness and reliability id give the edge to procharger.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Procharger for the win. Reasoning is because...
Old 12-03-2006, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Because centrigula blowers dont make optimum power until higher RPMs, you might as well deal with some turbo lag and get a turbo instead.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

check out A&A corvettes in OXNARD CA.

he has a coustom votech kit that is good for 500-550rwhp and is only $5,500.
or ECS's paxton kit! very nice!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

If I go with a supercharger I am probably going with procharger. I just like the blower, step up ratio makes a difference! I like there D series blowers.
Chris over at ECS makes a sweet novi kit and has a amazing price running right now. This might sway me but Im still not sure.

As far as why sts because APS, TTi, PTK , HP are all too much $$ for my blood. I really wish I could but 8+k is just not possible right now. I can get a STS kit for about the same price as s/c kit. Looks bad for the sts kit, Im not liking it that much, I hear issues with guys running bigger boost like 12+.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:16 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
If I go with a supercharger I am probably going with procharger. I just like the blower, step up ratio makes a difference! I like there D series blowers.
Chris over at ECS makes a sweet novi kit and has a amazing price running right now. This might sway me but Im still not sure.

As far as why sts because APS, TTi, PTK , HP are all too much $$ for my blood. I really wish I could but 8+k is just not possible right now. I can get a STS kit for about the same price as s/c kit. Looks bad for the sts kit, Im not liking it that much, I hear issues with guys running bigger boost like 12+.
i vote a bigger nitrous kit... its just sooo easy and every since i started on my FI build its just been problems... but in 07 i might have a different story after its all worked out.... nitrous is just sooo easy....
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have nitrous. I enjoy it its not going anywhere. I just want MORE POWER ALL THE TIME. Nitrous is just a little extra, I dont like being FASST nitrous only anymore .

Last edited by CraZee ZO6; 12-03-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

I got to ADD after seeing **** like this!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1563058

Makes me want to stay with big nitrous and a sweet h/c/i setup!!

Damm lsx motors make POWER in so many ways its annoying! Makes me indesicive.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Car is a 03 zo6.

Was decided on H/C/I to compliment the nitrous setup, BUT FI has been calling my name last few days.

I am debating the sts twin turbo system for my c5 zo6, OR the new Procharger Stage II kit with the upgraded D1SC.

I had a D1SC on my old cobra and liked it alot. But I am a beleiver that turbos work better and more efficient. But is the STS more efficient and have a better powerband vs the new procharger kit? Thats my main question. Cost is similar on both kits.

Also are the new 4.5 inch intercoolers on the stage II kits good upto 15-16lbs or would I have to convert to single fmic later?

I really like the new APS twin turbo kit but man I just dont have the 7995 price tag for it.

This would be on a stock LS6 with longtubes (tpis ceramic coated) that would get a forged 346 next winter if she held up fine until then.

Zee
Zee, you might want to check out the ATI ProCharger F1C kit.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=700
Bob
Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Zee, you might want to check out the ATI ProCharger F1C kit.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=700
Bob

I did! Can this beast of a blower be pullied down to 8lbs for now? Stage II kit with upgraded bracketry?
I like the idea of getting a blower and not having to worry about upgrading it ever ALSO the 8 rib!

Last edited by CraZee ZO6; 12-04-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

I have guys telling me the F1-C is too much blower for a street car. D1SC is more streetable? Is this true? 5.4 step up maybe being too much for a DD and harder on the belts, pulleys.

I Just want to do it right once I thought D1SC would be perfect. But if the f1-c is a advantage with building boost sooner and faster, I want to take advantage of that. Unless its harder on the system.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
7 Second Club

I have guys telling me the F1-C is too much blower for a street car. D1SC is more streetable? Is this true? 5.4 step up maybe being too much for a DD and harder on the belts, pulleys.

I Just want to do it right once I thought D1SC would be perfect. But if the f1-c is a advantage with building boost sooner and faster, I want to take advantage of that. Unless its harder on the system.

if you want more than 500rwhp on a blown setup and want it to last for a while i would advise getting a forged shortblock and then getting the
F1-c cause you can never have enough HP.

Quick Reply: STS twin turbo or Procharger D1SC