Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts wont boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sts wont boost

well i need some input..... my car is currently at synergy motorsports(4 hours away from where i live) getting tuned, and they cant get my sts car to make boost. has anyone else had boost problems with this kit????? i have had nothing but bad luck with this, i am seriously really ******* frustrated and ready to rip this piece of **** turbo kit off.... they told me they have tried everything to fix it, and i'm tired of putting money into it if nothing is going to help, so am i just **** out of luck with a worthless turbo kit? are their other people who couldnt get their **** to boost and had to remove it? sts customer service is also a joke... really appreciate their help

anyways, the car runs fine, it just wont boost... so any ideas from ls1tech?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you looking at your gauge and it wont boost, have you hit the rollers?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id imagine theres a leak in the system somewhere, with that much piping to go through itll take some tine to check everything well. Take your time and go over it. Is all the exaust making it to the turbo? Is the turbo spinning? if you disconnect the piping going to the motor near teh turbo does it blow alot of air there? Its a system thats works, people have shown this. You just have to find out where your problem is at exactly. Im guessing a clamp is loose or a coupler isnt sitting quite right or something simple like that.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If they reference the wastegate from the turbo compressor it won't see full boost, but it should show something. With the FMIC, the wastegate reference must be taken from the intake manifold. Also, the LT headers aren't going to help a rear mount spool either. Other than that, I'm sure they have already checked for leaks on both the charge pipes and the exhaust, haven't they?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

yes i have looked at it, but the gauge doesnt matter..... my car is getting tuned, and they called me to tell me it wont make boost, and there is nothing else they can do, so i'm looking for input.... btw,what do you mean by rollers?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

By rollers he is reffering to the dyno. Was it strapped down and they went to make a pull and got no boost?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
yes i have looked at it, but the gauge doesnt matter..... my car is getting tuned, and they called me to tell me it wont make boost, and there is nothing else they can do, so i'm looking for input.... btw,what do you mean by rollers?
by rollers i mean dyno,
Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
If they reference the wastegate from the turbo compressor it won't see full boost, but it should show something. With the FMIC, the wastegate reference must be taken from the intake manifold. Also, the LT headers aren't going to help a rear mount spool either. Other than that, I'm sure they have already checked for leaks on both the charge pipes and the exhaust, haven't they?

thye said they have disassembled the whole thing and checked for leaks, taken the turbo apart.. blah blah...

the LT shouldnt make that much of a difference, i mean it should at least boost something...

now the wastegate thing.... there is no hose or anything connected to it, so could that be a problem?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
By rollers he is reffering to the dyno. Was it strapped down and they went to make a pull and got no boost?

well he drove it first before strapping it down, it didnt make any boost.. he said he could floor it and it wouldnt make anything.

Last edited by RooRnZ28; 12-14-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

The wastegate needs to be hooked up to a vacuum source.. not sure if it wont make any boost without one or not as i am new, i just know you need to hook your WG up to a vacuum refrence....

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
The wastegate needs to be hooked up to a vacuum source.. not sure if it wont make any boost without one or not as i am new, i just know you need to hook your WG up to a vacuum refrence....

i know the BOV is connected to a vacuum source, but i dont think the wastgate is...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all where is your boost gauge referenced to??? Is he data logging it when he drives?? is it running off of just the wastegate or do you have a boost controller?? And also do you have a Bov?? All of these items need to be checked and possibly replaced with known good ones just to test it..I'm sure that Synergy has an extra 38mm wastegate laying around that they can at least bolt on to check...Are all of the couplings tight?? I know I know, they checked but you never know... Have they done a boost leakdown on it?? If it's not spooling then it HAS to be loosing it somewhere...Possibly something is sticking open or something... Ask questions and suggest things....All that they can say is no....hope this helps
Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
is it running off of just the wastegate or do you have a boost controller?? And also do you have a Bov??

no boost controller, just the wastegate, and yes i do have a BOV

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Are all of the couplings tight?? I know I know, they checked but you never know... Have they done a boost leakdown on it?? If it's not spooling then it HAS to be loosing it somewhere...Possibly something is sticking open or something... Ask questions and suggest things....All that they can say is no....hope this helps

well i'm assuming everything is nice and tight if they checked everything, but like you said, you never know...

i'm not sure of a boost leakdown, but i agree with you, it has to be losing it somewhere...

i really thought synergy had more experience with these kits and would at least be able to figure SOMETHING out, but it is sounding to me like they dont really care now.. i never thought they would ever tell me "there is nothing we can do..." but they did. i mean i DID have my own mechanic install the kit, but i dont think he could have fucked it up that bad.....
Old 12-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
i know the BOV is connected to a vacuum source, but i dont think the wastgate is...
The BOV might not be fully seated, and letting off any boost?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did they check to see if the turbo wasnt seized? If it was starved for oil even briefly, you're in deep ****!
Had a twin turbo car about a month ago, drove ok as long as you werent in it, soon as you hit it hard, it was a slug!!!! Pulled the boot off the turbo and low and behold he turbos, BOTH OF THEM were siezed. But hey, it made about 270 suckin thru 2 sized turbos!!!
Hate to be the bearer of bad news....
Thats about the only answer.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I almost forgot, there is a sealing ring that can fall out of the wastegate before it is installed. If it has fallen out or if it is installed backward the wastegate will not seal.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Did they check to see if the turbo wasnt seized? If it was starved for oil even briefly, you're in deep ****!
Had a twin turbo car about a month ago, drove ok as long as you werent in it, soon as you hit it hard, it was a slug!!!! Pulled the boot off the turbo and low and behold he turbos, BOTH OF THEM were siezed. But hey, it made about 270 suckin thru 2 sized turbos!!!
Hate to be the bearer of bad news....
Thats about the only answer.

would they be able to tell if they took the turbo apart? because they did....
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You wouldn't even have to take the turbo apart to tell if it was seized. In a rear mount, the sound alone would give that away.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

If they took the turbo apart im sure they tryed to spin it a tad bit for ***** n giggles if nothing else, its not seized if they were in the turbo like that.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:13 AM
9 Second Club

something is wrong....here is Quicksilverado...370ci....214/218 cam..gt-67 turbo 12psi and no intercooler...headers and no wrapped pipes.......would only do 5 psi on the dynojet though
http://www.incontt.net/videos/QuicksilveradoMMP.wmv