Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS install pics... and stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok got my intercooler in

here yall go

install is hopefully going to be finished this weekend, tomorrow. here are some pics.

wondering if all the abs black plastic has to come out or if we cut it and only remove some of it.

we already have the front bumper off and we are looking at the black plastic...what all has to come off to mount this pts sts intercooler kit??

also wondering about the oil return...it doesn't matter where we return it (cept a few areas) as long as its above the full mark correct?

and our new bolts that we replaced the stupid 'stick up' bolts that hold the ignition packs with...its going to be the black bolts that are in the bottom picture

Old 10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default PTS sts intercooler- piping

well I was going to install my intercooler and piping BUT.......

Rust inside the pipes

Bent Pipe ends

Rust
Old 10-26-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that SUX! What are you going to do? Have you called the company yet?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

already left 2 voicemails and i reckon they will call me back monday. but this is rediculous, i paid good money for this and this is completely unacceptable.

i gotta wonder if i will have my setup ready for the spring autofair at lowes motor speedway now, cuz i'm going to have to find another intercooler setup. and i really want to keep my foglights. at least now i know my measurements for the IC size...even if i have someone make the pipes for me
Old 10-27-2007, 11:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that's f'd up... my pipes were CLEAN one thing after another isn't it?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

im probably going to get just an intercooler and have a buddy of mine that I REALLY trust do the work

...and also what they don't tell you is you gotta cut the STS pipe with the BOV on it and make it straight so you can use the piping in the first place...and that means that the BOV probably has to be remounted somewhere....oh well.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Are you sure that is rust? All of my PTK cold side pipes are aluminum; not steel, not gonna rust.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

i rubbed one of them and rubbed and its def rust
Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

So they sent you STEEL cold side pipes? WTF.... Sucks dude
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Seems like they are steel with a stainless coating on the outside, but not the inside. Very odd.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

they said the pipes had to be sent off to get powder coated then they got them back and such

oh and just out of curiosity... I noticed that when i had my bumper off that there is a huge metal brace at the front of the car that the FMIC bolts to. How much actual airflow goes through the IC, as this metal bar that the IC sets against creates a pocket of resistance there and it makes it hard for air to flow through the IC. what are peoples temp differences? or should I save this convo for a IC thread... LOL, just got to thinking
Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

what i would try to do first with those pipes of your is try to find something with a long metel neck and a wire brissle head to try to get that rust out but dont know if you could find something like that??

now about the fog lights i understand they look good and you want to keep them but is the going to be enough air flow just through the front plate cover if u do take it off i would imagine??

on my car i had to cut my support and hang the bracket on the 2 ends that i left on.....if i were u i would have just gotten the pipes from trt and get an ic from ebay IMO but im not knockin on what u have.....but reply on what things you do interested
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Go with Texas Rear Turbos Kit.. Get you rmoney back from PTS... and get your kit from him.... TOP NOTCH KIT!!! CLEAN PIPES... BIGGER INTERCOOLER... Probably cheaper!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
they said the pipes had to be sent off to get powder coated then they got them back and such

oh and just out of curiosity... I noticed that when i had my bumper off that there is a huge metal brace at the front of the car that the FMIC bolts to. How much actual airflow goes through the IC, as this metal bar that the IC sets against creates a pocket of resistance there and it makes it hard for air to flow through the IC. what are peoples temp differences? or should I save this convo for a IC thread... LOL, just got to thinking

I cut the brace behind the airflow area and painted up so it wouldn't rust. You really have to do this to get the air through there.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frost
I cut the brace behind the airflow area and painted up so it wouldn't rust. You really have to do this to get the air through there.
Ok, that makes sense.

Ok, talked to them today and they told me all of their pipes are mild steel and that they do rust (surface) but not enough to damage anything, and he said that they have been doing this for 6+ years.

So i asked why do the STS pipes not rust....then he said they are mild steel too. and I also said that I have no rust in them and the kit was used too. Still no rust to this day.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, it's your choice, but I personally would not put rusty parts in my intake flow. JMHO. Best of luck.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

sts pipes are hpc coated inside and out.
As far as the IC pipes not rusting enough to hurt anything, would you scrape a little rust off and throw it in your engine?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trtturbo
sts pipes are hpc coated inside and out.
As far as the IC pipes not rusting enough to hurt anything, would you scrape a little rust off and throw it in your engine?
exactly... and its getting sent back and not dealing with them anymore. it was made with mild steel, i'm probably going to have my setup made from a friend here in charlotte. Probably order the IC from somewhere...as the IC i got was actually fine
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ok got a question, EPP and TRT from what it looks like use the same style IC, end tanks on each end level with each other

then there is PTSs' IC with the end tanks one on the top side and one on the bottom side

which one is more efficient thermodynamics wise... what im asking is what would dissipate and lower the intake temps more efficiently

PTS http://www.proturbokits.com/store/sc...?idproduct=193

SAME
EPP http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=655
TRT http://www.trtturbo.com/LS1FMIC.html

I realize the difference in the surface area...but what i'm talking about is the way the air flows through the IC
And also with the EPP and TRT kit, you cut the front brace ... doesn't this take away from the structural ridgidity of the car/frame? my car is a daily driver and IF i was to get backed into or something happen to the front in a wreck...i don't want an intercooler slammed into my motor and then my motor be slammed into me in the car

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 10-31-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

PTS needs to be changed to a different name if you know what i mean

been calling them for 2+ weeks now, no calls back, no responses at all

Quick Reply: STS install pics... and stuff...