Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost Guage Question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Guage Question???

I was reading the directions for once!!!! and it says to hook my power wire up to something that doesn't loose power while cranking or it won't function correctly. I was thinking the radio, but im pretty sure I recall it lossing power while cranking. So my question is where is a good place to hook it up at. And also there is another wire that says 12v allumination where do I need to hook that wire up at? I know this is alittle stupid question but bare with me im no electrician.. Also it is a 2000 Trans Am

Thanks for your help,
Jimmy
Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tap in at the fuse for the radio/accessories. Should work fine. You won't be seeing any boost while cranking anyways.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I know that but, I was just going by what the directions say. What you think about the other wire illumination one.

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

I think it was referring to a circuit that powers up for startup but then shuts off once the car turns on. If you wire it up through the radio circuit, you'll be fine.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Cool that's what I wanted to hear! Thank you for your help.

Jimmy
Old 01-23-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

no problem. Gotta help out a fellow 00' WS6 owner.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

A test light will verify that it doesn't shut off at crank. Its important that it stays powered up, otherwise it will recalibrate while the engine is pulling vacuum making your boost read artificially high.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andereck
A test light will verify that it doesn't shut off at crank. Its important that it stays powered up, otherwise it will recalibrate while the engine is pulling vacuum making your boost read artificially high.
What he said... The electric gauges calibrate themselves to atmosphere at power-up. If they don't power up until the key goes from start to run, it will set the zero point where vacuum exists in the intake manifold, which will make the gauge off by a lot. I used a tester to find a source that kept power under cranking.

The 12v illumination lead needs to go to your parking light switch. That's used to light up the gauges when the lights are on. You can hook it up to the same lead as the power lead if you want the gauge lights on all the time (which is what we do in our race cars).
Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Roadie
What he said... The electric gauges calibrate themselves to atmosphere at power-up. If they don't power up until the key goes from start to run, it will set the zero point where vacuum exists in the intake manifold, which will make the gauge off by a lot. I used a tester to find a source that kept power under cranking.

The 12v illumination lead needs to go to your parking light switch. That's used to light up the gauges when the lights are on. You can hook it up to the same lead as the power lead if you want the gauge lights on all the time (which is what we do in our race cars).
Just wondering where you hook up your hot wire at?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00WS6WHITE
Just wondering where you hook up your hot wire at?

Thanks,
Jimmy
don't remember... I just found a wire under the dash that was +12v when the key was on and kept power when the key went to the start position. I used a wire tap and tapped into it. Then tested it and verified that it didn't lose power except for when I shut the car off.

Later, I went back and split the wire, installed heat shrink tubing, soldered it together, and shrunk the heat shrink tubing around it.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

I wanna say it's the orange wire under the dash where the steering column is. Can't remember though since all my stuff is wired to a seperate fuse block in the back of the car. I'd get a voltage tester and try that one first, just don't mess with the little yellow wires. Damn airbags.

Quick Reply: Boost Guage Question???